Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrb627_gw

Miele Professional (Little Giant)

mrb627
15 years ago

Anyone have the Miele Professional Little Giant Machines? If so, do you like them?

MRB

Comments (39)

• qaggaz
    15 years ago

I have owned a PW6065 Little Giant washing machine for about two years. I have been very happy with this purchase and I plan to buy the matching dryer sometime in the next 6 months. Do you have any specific questions?

• mrb627
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do you have any good pix of this machine? Do you have the additional menu options unlocked? How much water will it use per fill?

I have been interested in this set for a little over a year now. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate a dealer that has them on the showroom floor anywhere.

Since it is clearly a sizable investment, I would really like to see one in action before making the commitment.

One Miele dealership told me that the 48XX series would be released in stainless but I have not seen or heard of any other information about that since. That was last December.

I ended up purchasing an LG set last year as I wouldn't commit to the Little Giants without seeing them. I would prefer to move the LG set on to another home and finally make this purchase.

Thank You,
    MRB

• wajrk2000
    15 years ago

I have both the PW6065 washer and PT7136 dryer. The supervisor menus are unlocked on both. I have had them for about 8 months now, and love them. No clue as to the volume of water in gallons per load, but you can adjust the water fill level and number of rinses in the menus.

• qaggaz
    15 years ago

I don't have any good pics around, but this one is pretty accurate: http://www.wetcleaning.com/models/wet_245.html.

As for appearance, it looks exactly like the industrial stainless steel appliance that you would expect. At the last minute, I ordered the stainless pedestal, which I highly recommend. I am quite tall, so the extra height makes doing laundry a bit more comfortable. In my second floor installation, the pedestal serves as an anchor as it is bolted to the floor. The extra height also allows me to place a bucket right under the lint trap if necessary.

I unlocked all the options that I could. I understand that for special applications, Miele can upload additional custom programs, but I have not had a need for this. The menu did take some getting used to (and I do have some suggestions to improve the user-interface), but I do appreciate the ability to customize the program selections.

The water used per fill depends on several factors: the size of the load, the program chosen, if the "water-plus" option is selected. You can make additional modifications through the menu. I use the water-plus option and increased the number of rinses to three.

Here is a link that might be useful: PW 6065 Operating and Installation Instructions

• akrogirl
    15 years ago

Could someone possibly give me a ballpark figure on pricing for these units?

I am a little annoyed that the Miele rep didn't mention that these units were available when I contacted the company to find out if they were planning to re-introduce a 220V model.

• mrb627
    Original Author
    15 years ago

akrogirl,

I was quoted pricing by a rep a year ago. I seem to recall that the set was between 6 and 7k without the pedestals. Not sure if pricing has changed on them since.

qaggaz and wajrk2000,

After you placed your order, how long did it take to get these machines deleivered? I seem to recall a 6 week turnaround, but I could be wrong.

MRB

• akrogirl
    15 years ago

MRB, thanks for the info :-)

We are working on our laundry room and I want to plan ahead since our current W/D set is over ten years old. We know we want a 220V model and thought we were limited to the Askos, which I do like, until I found out about the Little Giants on this thread. We would have to go with a deeper counter but, fortunately, we have room to do that.

• qaggaz
    15 years ago

Delivery time was about four weeks if I recall correctly. Be sure to specify single-phase and the plug you need, or you may end up with a 3-phase unit.

• wajrk2000
    15 years ago

Yes, about 4 weeks and around 7 k. Ours are stacked and the stack sits on a custom made built in 8" pedestal. The pedestal gets the washer up off the floor so you don't have to bend over so far, but it makes the lcd display hard to read because of the angle.

• mrb627
    Original Author
    15 years ago

qaggaz,

How much did the stands set you back? I imagine that the stainless steel made them pricey.

MRB

• qaggaz
    15 years ago

I think that the stands were somewhere in the $300-400 range. They are fairly massive, and as I mentioned, bolt to the floor. I do not find that the LCD display difficult to read, but then again, I am tall.

• wajrk2000
    15 years ago

The dryer is stacked on top of the washer. Then the stack sits on top of a 8 inch pedestal. It makes the dryer lcd hard to read. I am 6'2" tall. Still like washer and dryer, but would not use a pedestal again if I were stacking them.

• druriani_mieleusa_com
    15 years ago

Hi I am the professional marketing manager for Miele Professional. I can answer all your questions on the Little Giants.

First, Photos of the Little Giants can be found in the press room: http://www.mielepressroom.com/us/press/23_5860.htm

The retail price of the units is @$6500.

This year... a condenser dryer is available for the Dryer.

And, the machines are live at The Princeton Showroom. They also are live in various places around the country at dealers and show rooms.... Please send me an inquiry or contact me directly for more information.

Thanks......

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Giants.

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

Deb, thanks for the link. Judging from the specs, these machines aren't for home use, since they require 208V power. "208V -5%/+10% (min:~200V; max~228V); Machine can't be connected if voltage exceeds ~228V!", so you can't fudge it by connecting across the two 120V legs of residential 240V service.

• debs3
    15 years ago

We have a 240V connection on our Mieles.

• debs3
    15 years ago

Please disregard my previous post, it is not relevant. Thank you.

• qaggaz
    15 years ago

suburbanmd,

These units are built to order (or at least they were when I ordered mine two years ago). When I placed my order, I specified residential inverted phase 240V service. I live in Texas where the electric utilities have been known to increase the voltage above 120V on each leg so I was also worried. After installation, I saw that the voltage plate did in fact state 208V, but I have never had a problem. You might want to check with Miele directly, but I think that there is a 208 VAC unit for 3-phase and that the "two-phase" (actually single-phase inverted) unit is actually rated for normal US operation.

• wajrk2000
    15 years ago

Mine are pluuged into a standard 220 V outlet. Work fine.

• qaggaz
    14 years ago

As a follow-up to my previous post regarding the Little Giants working fine with US domestic power:

My PT-7136 dryer was just installed yesterday. No problems with the voltage, works great so far.

I am very happy with the Miele brand, and the Little Giant laundry products in particular. The build quality is excellent. When the time comes to replace other appliances in my house (looking over at the dishwasher), I will certainly consider Miele professional first.

• NiaNia
    11 years ago

Hello,

This is an old thread but I found it while looking for info on the Little Giants.

A few weeks backs I had posted looking for information on the Miele Heat pump dryer and had very helpful answers. This weekend when we finally got around to the Miele gallery to buy the W/D we were introduced to the Little Giants. The salesperson was pushing the product and even offered a discount and says that this product is being launched into the Gulf market. From this thread it seems it has already been launched in the US a while back. I would be very grateful for any feedback on these machines regarding energy consumption, as we were told that these machines (Little giants) are not rated for energy consumption as they are commercial models.

We are considering this set now against the 8kg Heat pump dryer+8KG washer.

Thank you so much for your time!

• akrogirl
    11 years ago

We have had our Little Giant set for well over a year now, and we haven't noticed any obvious increase in our energy consumption. We are able to run fewer loads with the LGs compared to our old Asko set, so I would hazard a guess that we are pretty much breaking even on energy consumption.

• NiaNia
    11 years ago

Thanks akrogirl! We are considering this set against the Miele washer 5964 8kg and 8966 heatpump dryer. I'm not after the heat pump, I'm after the 8kg capacity without the heat pump which Miele does not sell in Dubai.

The 8 kgs washer has more options compared to the 7 kgs washer including steam freshening, so I was also wondering if it was worth going after the 8kgs set for the extra space and extra options as against the 7kgs washer dryer combo.

Also, the Little giant set is 6.5 kgs, smaller than the 7kgs one. So then there are 3 sets we are looking at, the 6.5 Professional, the 7kgs set, and the 8kgs heat pump dryer and matching washer. The 7 kgs is the cheapest at 3500 USD, the Little G with 5% discount and heat pump set are both 5500 USD.

Will be very grateful for any input.

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

The house we are remodeling has 3-phase power (there are benefits to running A/C with 3-phase, I guess)

Is there a benefit to getting the 3-phase Little Giants?

I love Miele but have been really unhappy with my Miele W/D set. How are the Little Giants different?

• NiaNia
    11 years ago

Hi Shannonaz, may I ask which Miele machines you have and why are you unhappy with them?

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

NiaNia, here is a link to my thread the explains my dissatisfaction with my Miele's :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele wrinkling and stiffness

• professionaldeb
    10 years ago

Just an update....the condenser dryer for the Little Giants is available only for shipboard use.. not for residential use in the U.S.

I provided a link to our brochure on the Little Giant Laundry system

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Giant Brochure

• panzer1
    10 years ago

Deb, can you tell me if the little giants are still available for in home use? We are in the process of rebuilding and getting close to actually purchasing appliances that we chose and are really disappointed that miele decided to stop making their full size washer and dryer. I need the capacity that the full size offers. We looked at the little giants previously buy don't have three phase power so we rules them out. Are they available in 220v for residential use?

• jkenzie
    9 years ago

The Little Giants are still available and can be installed with single-phase service. I just got the pair installed this week. In a previous home I owned a W1213/T1413 pair (older 240V models) and compared to those the drum sizes for both are significantly larger, while the overall size seems to remain the same if memory serves correctly - the buyers insisted on writing that pair into the sale :-)

These are truly professional-grade machines that are built like tanks. The user interface is very different from the usual residential design, but very easy to navigate. I highly recommend calling Miele Tech Support when first getting them to add some hidden programs (Pillows, Curtains, Sluice, etc.) and get things dialed in the way you want.

One caveat, since these are quite expensive for a residential setting, is that you MUST get the electrical service for the dryer set to 208V. This requires a step-down transformer that can be purchased for about $200 (plus install by an electrician). I've seen others on here mention that the dryer works when plugged into 240V service, but you're risking your warranty if something goes wrong since the rating plate specifically states 208V only. The washer is fine with 240V. There are other threads on GardenWeb that specifically address the transformer, and suggest you read them if you are considering purchasing these.

In summary, I think they are the best laundry pair I've ever owned and highly recommend them.

• coastalrevival
    8 years ago

Has anyone recently purchased Miele Little Giants? Can you comment on the dryers effectiveness? For example for beach towels, sheets, blankets. Thank you.

• Deborah Ruriani
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Coastal Revival. Currently, Miele Professional offers Little Giant condenser dryers for Home Use. We have Little Giant vented dryers only for professional/commercial use. Drying times are slightly longer for the condenser units. The condenser units were just launched this year in the U.S. Laundry Offerings..

• jkkline1
    8 years ago

Is there any reason why the vented dryer could not be purchased for home use? I am assuming that with a vented dryer you have a speedier machine and you don't have to deal with the condenser water (though I am not sure what I mean, but someone mentioned using a pail?). Can the vented dryer be stacked on the Little Giant Washer?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I could be wrong but I don't think you can buy a vented Miele dryer in the US.

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

Yes, there's a stacking kit for the Little Giants, if you want to use it. If you have a vent, get the vented dryer - it's better than the condenser version.

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

The manual for the vented dryer says "This tumble dryer is only intended for industrial or institutional use and should not be used by anyone who is not specially trained to operate it." and "Compliant use of the dryer has been investigated with respect to industrial use only (UL1240)." So don't get your hopes up.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

Miele WILL NOT, WILL NOT sell, service or supply parts to a new, vented Little Giant dryer installed in a residential setting! They are adamant about it. Trust me, I tried!!!

• Viktoria Fenyo
    8 years ago

Does anyone know how to change the target groups in the setting of my miele PW 6065 washing machine?

• whirlpool_trainee
    8 years ago

I think you'll have to enter the Supervisor Level menu to add/activate the additional cycles (programme packages).

• Deborah Ruriani
    8 years ago

Viktoria.. email proservice@mieleusa.com or proinfo@mieleusa.com

and they will get you the instructions.