Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acomom_gw

Whirlpool Duet on 2nd floor - pedestals?

acomom
16 years ago

Hi all,

After doing a bit of research and combing through lots of posts here, I think I've decided to buy the Whirlpool Duet HTs (9400 series) to replace my old, ailing w/d. I looked at them in person today and they seem just fine. I asked the salesperson whether he'd have any concerns about installing these in a laundry room on the second floor, where ours is, and he said his only advice would be to skip the pedestals because they might increase the vibration and noise. While I'm on the short side, DH is nearly 6' tall and I'm afraid the washer will be a pain in the neck to use without a pedestal.

Any thoughts on this? I'd especially love to hear from you if you have a Duet installed with a pedestal on the second floor of your home - even if yours is on the first floor, your input would be appreciated. (We're looking at the 10-inch - don't need any storage).

I just can't imagine that the vibration and noise could be any worse than what we have with our old TL washer, which sounds like it's about to lift off when it gets to the spin cycle!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• acomom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay - now I've done a little more research and it looks like the Duet Sport might be the better choice for a 2nd floor installation (6-pt. suspension). So I'd also appreciate any feedback from those who have the Duet Sport, with or without the pedestals. And if you have any other recommendations for other FLers I should consider for the second floor, I'd welcome those too!

Thanks again!

• iasheff
    16 years ago

Our Duet set is in a first floor laundry room over a full basement... probably similar to those who have a 2nd floor laundry.

Our house is 110 years old with original hardwood floors everywhere. My husband cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the same exact size as the washer and dryer to set them on. This sturdied it up and made the leveling much much easier. The only time I have any trouble with vibrations or noise is when I do a really heavy load... a full load of jeans, heavy towels, etc. Mine have never "walked" or moved.

We love our Duets... virtually indestructible! And believe me, ours have been through a lot!

• donna49
    16 years ago

My Whirlpool Duet (9200 series) I have had for three years, on pedestals, on a second floor laundry room. NO problems with that location, love the height the pedestals give it, and have a plastic pan made to go under washing machines, put under mine - just in case.
    My problem with my 3 yr old Duet, is that it chews little holes in my husbands polo shirts and our t-shirts. Before you make a purchase check out another brand or see if Whirlpool has addressed this design flaw and corrected it. Its ruined some very expensive golf shirts that were brand new. I suspect it has to do with the all the small holes in the metal tub having sharp edges, and when the clothes are wet and spinning and pushed hard up against the sides of the tub, this is when they get damaged.
    Just something you may want to check out before making your final decision on which model/brand to buy.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

That is really strange about the holes. Are you positive that the machine is to blame? There is another thread that deals with holes in clothing also.

I have had a Duet for 5 years and have NEVER had an unexplained hole in any clothing... and I have washed a lot of clothes in mine!

• sparky823
    16 years ago

I think I would check out the Samsung with VRT. I have read a few have them on here-one person in a mobile home and they say they have no vibration.
    I think the Duets are good too and they also have the new suspension not just the sport but from what I have read the Samsung is sure supposed to stop the shakes!

• linkay42
    16 years ago

I am one in mobile home with the Samsung with VRT and the pedestals and there is no vibration..And they clean great..Got at Lowes in April and no problems..

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

I may be a little late but thought I'd pass on the info I received today - just purchase the Bosch this afternoon.(OK, I'm crazy because my rich uncle did not leave me a dime!!) My appliance store actually tried to work a very good price deal for me on the Whirlpool, but it fell through. I ordered the Bosch over the weekend and had 2nd thoughts, so I called the store to find out other options. They actually told me to try the Duet - the newer ones. They had the Sport but I was worried about capacity - it's only me, but I have very large comforters. Just before I went to the store, I checked this forum and read about the problems with the older models. When I got there, the manager overheard me mentioning what I'd read here and chimed in about the changes - for the better. I know these guys pretty well, and know they cannot outright promote one product over anther. But I did get a slight nod when I told him about he CS issues. I almost went with the latest and greatest Whirlpool. For the money I think the Duet is a pretty good machine now. With the new suspension system I don't think you would have the problems of the older versions. I like the flexibility in the features as well. I understand the Bosch has similar features but its not a simple as the Whirlpool. We'll see on Friday!

Good luck with your choice.

• looser
    16 years ago

gneegirl,
    I think both the Bosch and the Duet are a very good choice. On a second floor the Duet might work better since it has the improved suspension. What model Bosch did you order? Why do you think it is not as simple as the Duet? I just got the Nexxt 500 plus and it is very easy to use. The 700 or 800 might be a little more complicated since they have a more flexible set of cycles. I think you'll like the washer and hope you won't have any vibration problems. My washer is in the kitchen on a concrete floor so I don't have any problems.

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Hi looser,

I got the 800!!!! It was somewhat of a rush decision since, although my machines were working, I've been getting a lot of staining on clothes for a while. The other day I opened the washer and it was full of water - Oooooh Noooo!!! I was washing brand new towels, but hadn't overloaded it. I think the machines are just old and run down. I was able to find another cycle to get it to empty, but it's happened before and the machines were making noises. So, I called my kitchen appliance dealer and they let me switch some kitchen appliance off an open ticket, to add the Bosch set (this way I wouldn't loose my discounts from a special sale). I'll buy the appliances when they have another sale. I just didn't want any more stains, rust and oil, on anything else so I just went ahead and took the plunge. I'm glad you mentioned that the 800 has more flexible cycles. The salesman told me it did, but to have it validated here works for me. They had a 500 on sale, but it didn't seem to have the individual features of the Duet. The Manager really sold me - I think because of this forum, he was willing to "talk" to me about details. It will be here tomorrow afternoon - NEVER thought I'd be excited about a washing machine and dryer. Just hope I'll be just as excited when my granite is installed!! BTW, I almost did get the Duet, but for the money, they would have been almost as much as the Bosch.

• acomom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Just wanted to check back in and say thanks for all the advice. In the end I decided to go with the Bosch Nexxt 500 set rather than the Duets, and got the pedestals. The salesperson said either the Bosch set or the Duet 9400 set would both be well-suited for a second floor installation. The Bosch set just seemed like a better value for us based on our needs. Plus we have a Bosch dishwasher that we've been very happy with the last couple of years.

They just came yesterday and we haven't washed anything yet - hopefully all will go well!

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Hi acomom,

If you'll see my post - "new toy", my 800 was delivered today. I'm usually on the kitchen forum and read about people smiling and touching and gazing at their granite. I had to laugh at myself because I've been walking around the house looking for laundry (although most of it is done), just to use my new machine. I can't get the smile off of my face!! I absolutely love the Bosch. The delviery guys told me that these things are the best in the business. He listens to the customers all the time and bases his opions on what they say. When he left he told ne not to worry; the Bosch is tops. I did notice a slight vibraton on the spin cycle but I don't think it's a problem (at least I hope not). But other than that, I love it. I'm on load 3 now!!

I'm sure you will love yours.