Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsingie

Considering a 4 year old Miele w4840 and t9800

cjammer
9 years ago

Our 4 year old Samsung washer just went (the bearings) and it will be $900 to fix it. Sigh.

We would love to replace it with a Miele washer (with their 10 year warrantee promotion on right now), but they are just too small. I found a 4 year old set on kijiji (Canadian Craigslist) of a w4840 and t9800, which is the perfect size for us. After getting burned by the Samsung, we want something that will laaaaaaaast.

The owner says they are in perfect working order, he just moved houses and took them with him. He says the door gasket has a mark (I have read some of these were replaced under warrantee but he did not have that done). He does not have the shipping struts. He did not buy the extended warrantee. We can get service in our town.

If we do not get this set, we are looking at an Electrolux 70 series, but they are very hard to find here in Canada. We are a bit concerned with future repairs and parts.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you :)

Comments (6)

• cjammer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Never mind, we found a brand new 4842 - my laundry unicorn! :)

• wrungout
    9 years ago

I just got one a while back as well! what did you do for a dryer? Congratulations!!!!

• cjammer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks wrungout! I don't even like laundry and I am super excited - I am suddenly a laundry geek! Please tell me alllll about your machine :)

We would love to get the matching dryer, but this was an unexpected purchase so we can't afford it right now. We are going to keep our Samung dryer for now (4 years old) and we've already replaced the heating element last year so hopefully it will keep kicking for a while. And hopefully by then, Miele will come to their senses and realize North Americans want BIG machines that are built to last. Or I will beg for it for Christmas ;)

• wrungout
    9 years ago

I was struggling a bit with my machine-I wasn't sure what to expect as far as noises and what not. Turns out, it is the drain pump making "the noise" and it is perfectly normal. I love my warsher! she is a tank! I would love to buy another for sure. I did a bit of searching thru here and found ways to increase water levels, add rinses etc.

On a side note, I found a full size t9800 dryer on Kijiji (5 hours away) and bought it. Not sure if it actually works or not, haven't brought it downstairs yet. I am hoping like heck it does LOL! it came with a pedestal as well. For now, I am running my 4842 washer with a Kenmore dryer. I have a Samsung washer off to the side, and will be hooking up my Miele dryer whenever I can get enough hands on deck to bring it down my stairs of doom. I plan on running all 4 machines in the near future. haha@ laundry unicorn! *powdered unicorn horn anyone?* is something I always say when I feel like I am being asked an impossible to answer question. Not sure where you live, but there is a Miele unboxed store in Ontario that I would dearly love to check out-however, I am in SK!

• cjammer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I should ship my laundry over to you ;) Are you using the Miele detergent or the Persil or something else? We currently use the Nature Clean powder, it is for HE machines, but not sure about a Miele. What are your favourite settings or custom options?

I have printed the cheat sheets and put them in page protectors.

We are just North of Toronto, but the unboxed store didn't have any washers. We actually got our machine through Miele Canada - they have 30 w4842s in stock! Apparently they are hard to find in the system but they are there. We get it delivered on Wednesday and installed on Thursday.

I hope your dryer works and it is amazing!

• wrungout
    9 years ago

I got mine from Miele Canada as well:) when I first was debating about buying the washer, the dryer WAS available, but isn't any longer. I use Persil, I really like it. I am sensitive to scents, and I can totally handle Persil, it rinses clean. I wish I knew someone in Germany that travelled back and forth, you can buy humongous boxes of it over there, for considerably cheaper than I can get a small-ish box here. Cross your fingers for my dryer. I am torn about the pedestal, I may end up selling it, as DH has a plan to lift all 4 appliances up onto a plywood stand. I haven't had a whole lot of time to fiddle around with many options. I mainly use express.