Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charterops

Tide Free he liquid not as good anymore??

CharterOps
10 years ago

Is it my imagination or does the liquid Tide he not clean very well? I washed one load with it using the recommended amount and my clothes came out smelling ok but still having some residual smells of cooking/body odor/perfumes...then I washed the other load with the Sears powder- same type of load, same cycle, same temp and the Sears powder load came out smelling incredibly fresh with no residual odor of any kind.

On the reviews on Tide's website, several people have stated that they didn't think it cleaned as well either. I've been a loyal user of P&G products for 30 years! I wish I felt the same way about their detergents and softeners the way I did just 10 years ago or so but I don't.

What are your thoughts on Tide and on other P&G products (softeners, stain releases, etc...). That's another thing. Why do we need all these extra products all of the sudden, when we didn't need to before. -boosters, stain releasers, whiteners, and on and on.

As always, all comments and such are welcome! Thanks for your input

Comments (31)

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

The difference might be in the various enzymes in the different detergents. Just my guess.

None of the "free and clear" versions of any brands of detergent earn high marks at Consumer Reports magazine ratings, probably because they don't have all those whiteners, etc.

Personally, I have had very good success with Sears brand free and clear powder detergent.

I have an old bottle of Tide Cold Water "free" he liquid and it cleans fine, but likes to get a little sudsy and is a bear to rinse out.

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

I agree with CharterOps on both points. Can't wait to read all the comments on this.
    Pat

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

I was always a loyal Tide user. Like many of us, my Mom used Tide. But I found the Tide left a chemically smell and the whites remained dingy.

Someone on here posted a rave about Persil. Tried it and now I've switched. (though I also have Caldrea liquid for certain things).

I'm much happier with the Persil which requires less detergent in my washer. Still have some Tide HE left and I use it for dishtowels and cleaning cloths.But I found those loads do tend to retain odors, as the OP noted. Also, the white dishtowels come out a little dingy.

I'm off major brand laundry products. I've never been able to stand the smell of Downy. I've been using Mrs. Meyers softener but I'm about to order some Vernel.

The largest box of Persil lasts me a year. Their green liquid is even better but also more $$$.

Some may not agree about the Tide but things change and I think that has. Sorry to see this.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts about Tide. I get my new Miele W/D next Tuesday and will need "soap". I don't know if any will come with the set. I have been thinking about these soap issues for a while but haven't done anything about it yet. I will not get the Tide product. Thanks.

• dave1812
    10 years ago

rocogirl, don't you know that you can get Downy that is unscented? that's the only Downy we use.

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave1812; I only use Downy Free, that scented stuff is just way too strong and sweet smelling and I generally use about 1/2 of suggested amount and get good results as far as softness.

I realize that washer, water conditions and a lot of other variables play a part in results with Tide. Some folks have excellent results and some have not so good.

• dave1812
    10 years ago

i pre-dilute the Downy Free about 3:1 or 4:1, rather than pour it straight from the Downy bottle into the softener compartment. that way we don't get a build-up in the washer or get so much FS on the towels that they won't absorb water well. a little goes a long way.

• larsi_gw
    10 years ago

Also.....P & G also has changed Tide Original powder detergent. The smell has basically been the same, since about like....1946!!! lol and now they've changed it and added blue specks. I love Tide he Original Powder, and I just bought a new box over the weekend, and was very upset upon opening! First they ruined April Fresh Downy and now Original Tide. What is wrong with them???

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Cavimum, do you find the Sears free detergent cleans better than liquid All Free & Clear?
    Pat

• sparky823
    10 years ago

Pat; Have you ever tried the All Free Clear with Oxi?or the All Free Clear Powder?

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My mother used to use the Regular Tide powder as long as I can remember but once they changed the formula on that and it started smelling different (about the time they removed phosphates from detergents) she switched to the powder Tide Free and has stuck with that ever since.

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

sparky, do you think they clean better than regular All Free & Clear?

• sparky823
    10 years ago

Not sure. Havent used the Oxi one but have bought the powder All F&C before. Best I remember it has enzymes where the liquid doesn't. The powder reminds me of snow, texture is so fine instead of granules. It's not HE but it doesnt suds much best I remember.

• kgdallas
    10 years ago

I've noticed that too when using Tide liquid recently, when the laundry is done... it doeesn't smell "clean" as they once did. Using the same washer, same sized loads, etc... so nothing has changed on my end on the way I do laundry. I usually end up washing them again in some Gain powder I have on hand to towels an sheets and then they're "clean" I thought I was the only one. What's going on with Tide???

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kgdallas; do your clothes and things have sort of a stale, (just not not fresh) smell when you take them out of the washer? I know it's not the washer because when I use the sears powder, I get impressive results.

I'm wondering if they reformulated the liquid to be so gentle that it doesn't really clean like it used to.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

Cavimum, do you find the Sears free detergent cleans better than liquid All Free & Clear?
    Pat
    ````````````````````````````````````````
    In my opinion, yes. I use the Sears "Free" ~'he'~ powder version and it is my "go to" detergent because it has enzymes. In my opinion, it cleans better and that's why I use it. In fact, I bought several boxes this summer, because I read our local Sears store will be closing in the near future.

The All F&C liquid/'he' has no enzymes, so I save it for garments with wool content.

• kgdallas
    10 years ago

Yes CharterOps.... they have a stale "not clean" smell. I can't really explain the smell... it's just not clean. Not to gross anyone out, but I work in my garden a lot and sweat and the tshirts still have the underarm "body odor" coming out of the wash. Gross! I'm using Original Liquid Tide HE. I'm seriously considering going back to a top loader... went to a local mom and pop appliance store and saw the infamous Speed Queens in the flesh and I was impressed with the quality of the build.

• kgdallas
    10 years ago

Yes CharterOps.... they have a stale "not clean" smell. I can't really explain the smell... it's just not clean. Not to gross anyone out, but I work in my garden a lot and sweat and the tshirts still have the underarm "body odor" coming out of the wash. Gross! I'm using Original Liquid Tide HE. I'm seriously considering going back to a top loader... went to a local mom and pop appliance store and saw the infamous Speed Queens in the flesh and I was impressed with the quality of the build.

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was seriously about to chuck my FL washer and buy a SpeedQueen TL until I used the Sears powder and everything came out so clean and fresh as I mentioned before. I'll see how things come out the next couple weeks, so far I've been really pleased when not using the Tide Free.

• kgdallas
    10 years ago

Great... maybe I'll head out and pick up some Sears powder too! Now what do I do with all this Tide liquid I stocked up when it was on sale??? LOL Problems Problems

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I know, I know, I bought my Tide on sale too. I have two and a half 96-load "tanks" of the stuff. I thought maybe I'd just use it for rags and things that I don't care if they come clean all the way, etc...

On a side note kgdallas; some people have said that they think the Sears fades their darks but I have not had that problem. I would suggest that try it on some darks which are not high in your wardrobe class, lol. Water conditions also affect cleaning. Here in E TN, we have mod hard water with a lot of lime and calcium plus our water company puts in so much chlorine. Just a heads up to help you in your quest for "funk free" laundry :-)

• chloe203
    10 years ago

Sears was the first thing I tried with my FL.
    I bought the huge plastic tub so it lasted forever (about a year as I remember.)
    I did not care for it.
    By the time I was done with it I had rings around the collar of my husbands shirts.
    Perhaps I didn't use enough because I was very afraid
    of overdosing and having too many suds.
    But for whatever reason, I was not impressed.
    I also thought it left my clothes very rough/stiff
    We have moderately hard water.

• vetwife1998
    10 years ago

@CharterOps -- Where do you live in E TN?

Back to the topic: Maybe I need to try the Sears detergent again; I didn't notice the 'fresh' smell everyone mentions when I tried it (which one should I try?).

I've noticed the lack of 'freshness' with Tide, and just thought it was my nose. I've been using liquid Wisk HE with very good results, and fresher smelling clothes. I'm finishing a box of Tide powder HE, but do notice it's still not the same as the original Tide powder.

For all of you who have detergents you don't want, consider donating to your local Animal Shelter, or even your local Vet's office. =)

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@VetWife, we're in the Knoxville area. There is a lot of chlorine, lime and calcium in our water here. I use a water hardness tester and it's in the range of moderate hard to hard. The way the plumbing is in our home, there's no way to install a water softener.

The Sears I use is the one in the orange and green box. It's called stain fighting or something. Some say it has a chemical smell but mine has a slight lemon scent along with a mild chemical smell but when the clothes come out of the washer, there is no smell at all.

• beaglenc
    10 years ago

Has any one used Tide With Bleach HE? Have you noticed any changes? The last time I used it was just before they added Vivid, it smelled good and rinsed out well. On my second wash with it now, it smells strange like a sweet chemical smell and is a bear to rinse out. What's going on?
    ps. forgot to mention it's liquid, not the powder.

This post was edited by beagle_nc on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 15:46

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beagle_nc, I was thinking about switching to that but I guess I won't now. What is with the sudden urge to reformulate all the detergents and softeners into something sickly, sweet-tarty smelling?

I remember that old commercial where the slogan was, "it's not clean unless it's Tide clean" now it should be, "it's not clean unless it smells like it just came out of the Wonka candy factory!"

I have since changed to the Sears Ultra Plus because I used to use it but forgot why I stopped. It does an excellent job, no fading of my clothes and rinses clean without a second rinse.

• beaglenc
    10 years ago

Charter Ops, I was thinking about trying Sears Ultra Plus but read on Automatic Washer.org forum that it's being discontinued. And since, I switched back to an old school washer am having a hard time finding something that rinses clean. Couldn't really tell with my FL how it was rinsing, I tried Cheer powder and it did pretty good until the last time, too many suds. I always use less than the rec. amount.
    Era (when it was he) did good and rinsed out pretty good but they changed the formula so it's safe for all machines.
    I agree, when something works, why don't they just leave well enough alone!!!!!

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They're discontinuing the Ultra Plus? Sad day :-( I guess I'll have to start sniffing detergents and see which is lesser of the many evils.

I'm ok with some scent, I just don't like that heavy, sweet stuff that makes your teeth hurt when you smell it, lol. I just prefer the unscented is all. I would switch to the Tide Free powder, my mother uses that and it works great but I can't find it in HE type anymore.

• sparky823
    10 years ago

The way I understand it they are just going to a new package later in December, not discontinuing making it.

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I hope that's the case, really, really hope