Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Samsung Washing Machine - BEWARE

Posted by vmckenney (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 13:01

My wife and I bought a Samsung WA400P JHD washing machine from Lowes in November of 2013. In late September of 2013 the washer stopped draining and spinning. We called Lowes and they sent out A & E Factory Service. The tech from A & E came out and said "loose wire, you're all set" and the next time we used the washer it dumped the entire tank all over the floor. After looking around on the web I have discovered that this is a very common problem with this washer. Apparently the drain pump mount (..which is made of plastic..) breaks and then the drain pump drops to the bottom of the washer. Let's make a word problem to describe what you get when this happens in an upstairs laundry room:

WATER + CARPET + LAMINATE x GRAVITY = INCREDIBLE MESS!!

All of the upstairs carpet was destroyed, the living room ceiling came down, the laminate floor in the living room buckled, the garage celing is wet and will need to come down, there's water in the primary load bearing wall of the house, etc. (..I must say that while I was not comletely satisfied with the washer when it wouldn't drain, I LIKED IT BETTER THEN THAN I DO NOW!!!!)

As I mentioned, we bought the washer from Lowe's and they are pointing their finger at A & E, who is pointing their finger at Samsung, who isn't pointing at anyone. (..I'm told that it's considered rude to point in Japan..) Samsung has suggested that we "ship the defective product" back to them, but we will have to pay for the shipping.

This great adventure has now been turned over to my home owners insurance company. Meanwhile we are living in home that is just short being condemned, and paying $17 twice a week for a laundromat.

Long story short, if you see this washer in any store do not be decieved by the fact that it looks really cool with it's sleek design and digital interface. Do not buy this washer. RUN AWAY as fast and as far as possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Samsung Washing Machine - BEWARE

While I sympathize with your water damage, there isn't a hose, fitting, water heater, shower enclosure, or washer that isn't immune from the possibility of a leak. Even stainless-wrapped hoses can leak. sorry for your problem.

o

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/samsung_washer.html

If I had seen the above web page before we bought the washer it never would have come home. The best part is that we also bought a DV400EWHDWR dryer at the same time. According to that website it won't be long before that starts having problems as well. We should have bought LG.

o

LOL! as if LG washers have no issues!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/lg_washing_machine.html

ie, you can find complaints on line about anything.

o

vmckenney: ". . . pointing their finger at Samsung, who isn't pointing at anyone. (..I'm told that it's considered rude to point in Japan..)"

The parenthetical comment is true as to Japanese culture; Samsung is Korean.

o

We bought a Samsung washer and dryer. Dryer was fine except almost impossible to dry a blanket. I would have to take it out and fluff it around about 10 times just to get it to dry as the autosense "so called feature" would sense the outside of the blanket was dry and turn off machine even though the rest of blanket was still really wet.

The washer was OK for the first while then would constantly stop saying that there was a button stuck, no water pressure or no drainage even though all lines were fine. Then the the quick wash which should take around 38 mins would take hours as something must of been wrong with the computer timer. This machine was not even 3 years old.

o

I'd think you would have gotten a clue after the second failed attempt to dry a blanket on auto and would have switched to TIMED DRY. You have to be smarter than the device you are using. Blankets, multiple sheets, quilts all require timed drying, because the inner portions remain damp, but the outer portion fools the sensor into thinking the item is dry.

Stop blaming the dryer for your mistakes. NO sensor is going to work well in that situation, regardless of the brand, UNLESS the sensor is calibrated for extremely dry results, which will overheat other items in general drying conditions.

o

NO sensor is going to work well in that situation, regardless of the brand, UNLESS the sensor is calibrated for extremely dry results, which will overheat other items in general drying conditions.
Just to say, the moisture sensor on my Fisher & Paykel SmartLoad dryer works quite nicely for blankets, sheets, bedspreads and other such large items ... reason being that the unit reverse-tumbles for 40 seconds every 4.5 minutes so items don't ball-up.

o

Thank you Dave for your assumptions and rudeness. Really unnecessary, but if it makes you feel better.

I was using the Timed Dry, Heavy Duty... I tried them all, but all the drying settings are overridden by the auto dry sensor and turn off. You also cannot turn off the auto dry sensor feature.

I've had many basic dryers without the fancy features that can dry a blanket just fine so I know it is possible.

This post was edited by xc60 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 0:13

o

that's funny. never owned any dryer that overrode timed dry because the sensor wasn't happy,. also funny that my Samsung doesn't do what you claim. and don't worry about how I feel. I'm fine.

call a technician or call Samsung. see what THEY say about timed dry...

o

We owned the Samsung WA456, which is the big brother to the WA400.

I'd advise you to get rid of that thing as soon as you can if still under the 1yr warranty.

Ours broke 6 times during the 1st six months, with three aquajet rings, one water pump, clutch and motor needing replacement.

We got Samsung to give us a refund...never looked back.

We now have a Maytag Bravos HE 4.6. Going into our 4th month w/o any issues...(as he knocks on wood!)

o

Samsung Washer Drain Pump houseing. Samsung drain pump has a plastic housing connecting to the bottom of the tank with less than 1/8th of plastic. by daughter has toys that are tougher than this housing. as the drum shakes over years the plastic will snap the drain pump will fall disconnect from the tub and the power cable will snap. all comments posted by other poeple. Warranty is one year for this part. Samsung has a redesign for this on the replacement part it connect to the back wall instead of the bottom of the tank lets see how this thing is built. Purchased a new heavy duty drain pan incase this thing breaks off again. lucky me i have shower under my wash room and tile floors. The water drained into the tub. will have to replace some drywall on the first floor ceiling. Samsung also allows you to file a claim for property damage. lets see what they cover.

o

You bought it in Nov 2013 and it broke in Sept 2013. It needs a new flux capacitor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here