Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon620

clothing stains :(

sharon620
11 years ago

I am going crazy ! My 24 yr old son gets alot of stains on his good work clothes. He wears mostly khaki's and dress shirts ( example : Ralph Lauren , expensive)

I have NO idea what the stains are and neither does he. He works in a insurance office . It is both on his shirts and pants.

If I see them before I lauder them , I treat them with spray and wash, oxy clean, wisk, not all at once ! haha

When he washes them , he throws them in the washer and dry's them ! Then iron's them . Then he finds the spots.

Like I said I have no idea what they are but I am sending most everything to the dry cleaner anymore.

Any suggestions ?

Comments (9)

• housefairy
    11 years ago

Sharon show him where the stain fighters are stored. Give him lessons and then tell him his clothes are his responsibility. It sounds like he's not looking for the stains and he figures you will fix the problem. And yes, just because he works in an office doesn't mean he can't get ink from papers, coffee stains, etc.

I would also not be spending my money and time taking his clothes to the cleaners. If he has to live with the consequences, which means he has to use HIS money to replace ruined garments, then he will take better care of his clothes.

Sorry to be harsh, but you need to let him grow up. Eventually he will move out so he needs to learn how to handle the small problems.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

Ummm, Mom, step. away. from. the. laundry. room.

I'm with @housefairy. Your son is 24 years old. It is long past the time to let him grow up. Lots of 24 y/o men are married and have a couple of kids at this age. He is an adult man.

I taught our son to do his own laundry when he was in middle school. After that, it was his responsibility.

Our son refused to learn to iron, so he wore wrinkled clothing to school, church, etc. His choice. (He is now 30 y/o and has his dress shirts done at the laundry. His wife doesn't iron, either. A match made in heaven. LOL)

Until your son suffers the consequences of his lack of attention and care of his clothing, he has absolutely no reason - or motive - to change. You need to let him wear stained clothing. It is called tough love and 'letting go'.

He will figure it out, if you let him.

Maybe your son needs to buy a less expensive brand clothing, given the mysterious stain producing conditions of his workplace.

Parenting is not always pretty. Do your job and cut those apron strings.

• MiMi
    11 years ago

A simple solution would be to get some powdered Biz and tell him to just throw a scoup in with every load. Biz is very good for taking stains out. I too help my grown kids out with their laundry occasionally and don't mind it at all, I have always enjoyed doing laundry and they apreciate it and in return help me out when I need help. Why anyone feels the need to belittle you or make you feel guilty for doing his laundry is beyond me...

• jdenyer232
    11 years ago

Dbfirewife is right, a little biz powder will work wonders. If you can't find biz then tide stain release also works well. Also the OP asked for laundry advice not parenting advice. Hmmm, and we wonder why new members don't stick around, and why a lot of older members have gone away.

• jdenyer232
    11 years ago

Dbfirewife is right, a little biz powder will work wonders. If you can't find biz then tide stain release also works well. Also the OP asked for laundry advice not parenting advice. Hmmm, and we wonder why new members don't stick around, and why a lot of older members have gone away.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@jdenyer232 - you are correct in your comment about my post. I was out of line.

@sharon620 - I apologize for my post. We're in the middle of a complete kitchen renovation, I was extremely stressed that day, and that post was not one of my finer moments. I should step. away. from. the. computer. on those type days.
    Again, I apologize.

• housefairy
    11 years ago

When I read her post it's telling me that when she does the wash she catches and treats the stains. When her son does the wash he just throws it all in and then she has to deal with the set in stains. So that is telling me that it's not the washer releasing some kind of oil or residue on his clothes. So to keep from driving herself crazy her options are either to make the son responsible or she needs to take over washing all his clothes.

And I stand by my original post.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

I've used BIZ and it does absolutely nothing for stains. All it does is make my wash sudsy.

• jdenyer232
    11 years ago

Cavimum, I completly understand the stress thing, no worries, hope all is going well during the remodel.