Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelic_one2002

~ Fading Clothes ~

angelic_one2002
13 years ago

I was curious if any of you ladies/men knew or had experiences of clothes fading with different laundry detergents..? For instance, does high-dollar Tide fade clothes, or fade them any less than a cheaper laundry detergent such as Era?? I think most of fading problems has to do with water temperature..but if you've noticed one detergent fading clothes more or less than another..please post!

Comments (6)

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

You will want to stay away from detergents that contain what are called OBAs or "optical brightening agents". These will cause colors to fade over time. Products with oxygen bleach are supposed to be color safe.

• vansky
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, the water has a lot to do with it. I've lived in several different areas in the States, and the cold water has always been really hard on the clothes, especially fading. I used Softly in Australia and combined with the water over there, the results were perfect. However, I couldn't get the same results in America.

• dualref
    13 years ago

Does anybody know of a low or no OBA detergent in the US that cleans well?

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I bought my kids some Hanna Anderson pajamas and Hanna recommends using non OBA detergent.

This is what they say:

News about detergents!
    Most detergents now contain optical brighteners; while these keep white laundry brighter, they can change or fade your clothing after washing, or even cause matching hannas to no longer match. WeâÂÂve found that our colors stay fresher using optical brightener-free products such as 7th Generation, Kirkland Signature Environmentally Friendly Laundry Detergent (Costco), Ecover, Bi-O-Kleen (Vancouver WA), Surf Powder, Cheer Powder, Planet Detergents, Alma Win Organic Cleanut Detergent, Moon-Works, RockinâÂÂ-Green Detergent, CharlieâÂÂs Soap, and ClaudiaâÂÂs Choices Ultra.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanna Care Instructions

• mara_2008
    13 years ago

OP, I've primarily used HE formulas of Tide (but not high-dollar; I buy it on sale and use coupons), ERA, and Woolite for my laundry for about 2 1/2 years, depending on what I am washing. I have not noticed any fading as of yet. I don't know what makes the difference. I used to see noticeable fading when I used old-fashioned non-HE formulas in traditional washers.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I read today that chlorine in the tap water can cause fading over time - makes sense.

Tide Total Care is supposed to contain a proprietary Protective Fiber Complex that conditions your wash water to help prevent damage from chlorine and mineral deposits, minimizing fading and helping to keep colours bright.

Although it also contains optical brighteners (go figure) ...