Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ddgg_gw

whirlpool cabrio

ddgg
17 years ago

Anybody have any comments on this new washer and dryer by whirlpool? I just paid a small fortune for a set,not delivered yet, and am having second thoughts. It is a top loader, no agitator.

Very new, and not much feedback from consumers on the web.

Anybody??????

Thanks.

Comments (39)

• cantdecide
    17 years ago

I've had the Kenmore Oasis (same machine) set since August and I absolutely love the washer. I use cloth diapers on my youngest and it gets them sparkling clean....I'm not sure there's a much better test of a washer;-) It's also handled handwash items and bulky pillows and furniture pads with ease and gotten out numerous kid stains with no trouble.

The only rub has been the dryer which works beautifully as far as drying goes, but has had issues with error codes and the sensor cycles not shutting off properly. It's apparently a software issue, not something mechanical. After 2 service calls it now works right 99% of the time, only seeming to have an issue with large (as in the washer is full to the limit) loads of towels. I've been debating what exactly to do now...maybe just wash smaller loads of towels, maybe call Sears back and see if Whirlpool's come up with anymore software updates. I still have a little more time to completely make up my mind before the 90 day return period is up. I know the Cabrio dryer is different from the Oasis dual motor one that I have though so it might or might not have any of the same issues.

Also do a search here for both Cabrio and Oasis and you'll get lots of threads.

• ddgg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I came up blank on my search before I posted, I must have had a typo. I did read one post where the clothes didn't seem to get totally covered with water, and came out not even wet. Any experience with that? What kind of detergent do you use?

• cantdecide
    17 years ago

No, the clothes don't get totally covered with water...they're not supposed to. I've never had anything come out dry or even not clean though...even when it was filled to the top. I did stop it and reach in and flip over some bulky items a couple of times...not sure if it was really necessary or not.

I've used All HE - both the regular liquid and Small and Mighty and the concentrated Wisk HE so far and they all seem to work fine, but I'll probably continue to experiment.

• yzfmik
    17 years ago

I wouldn't say they are new. The Oasis has been out since March I believe. I have had mine since May 5th, and don't have one single complaint. I regularly wash enormous loads of towels, and the rollover is amazing. My dryer has thrown the error codes a few times, but I can't complain since I have been too lazy to call for service. I have a 5 year warranty, so I'll get to it whenever. The newer dryers don't have that problem, and the Cabrio never did since the problem only effected the dual motor Oasis dryer. All Cabrio's are single motor.

• kpyeatt
    17 years ago

See my post "frontload,cabrio,mold & wrinkles". Should be around page 3, 5th post down, last comment. I ownED the pair (past tense). Even the service guy who came to work on them said a frontloader is going to get clothes much cleaner than this thing ever thought about.

• kpyeatt
    17 years ago

By the way, the sensor on the dryer never worked properly and the service guy couldn't figure it out. Dryed clothes to a crisp!!! Hated these machines

• cantdecide
    17 years ago

"I regularly wash enormous loads of towels, and the rollover is amazing."

I agree that the washer has no issue with them at all. The first time I stuffed it full, I was a little worried, but everything came out great and the cycle ran without a hitch. It's just my dryer that seems to have a problem with it.

• yzfmik
    17 years ago

"Even the service guy who came to work on them said a frontloader is going to get clothes much cleaner than this thing ever thought about."

Cause we all know how smart techs are. The Oasis/Cabrio do every bit as good a job as FL's. I have had several customers replace FL's with Oasis and even conventional machines becouse they were not happy with 'em, and said they don't clean worth a damn.

• kpyeatt
    17 years ago

To each his own I guess. The Cabrio set certainly did not work for me! 5 days in a row of service people at my house is not fun. Love my new front loader though!!!

• jon112
    17 years ago

Yeah, the Cabrio/Oasis set is either a love it, or hate it thing. I recommended the Oasis to someone, but his mother didn't like they way it washed, and she didn't like having to change the options, and she like having the ablility to set the knobs and it would be the same settings for the next cycle. He is now a happy owner of a WP "Classic" top loader.

• ddgg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all... I hope I am in the love it category. I was thinking about changing to a front loader duet, but alas,,,, I have limited space from front to back, and it will not fit. My door will hit it, and I don't want the smaller sport. So... I hope I made the right decision. I will let ya'll know in a few days.. Thanks everyone!!!

• yzfmik
    17 years ago

Every customer that has bought the Oasis from me has given me great feeback. Yesterday one of them thanked me for selling it to them. I'm sure you will love it as me and my wife do too.

• raybeck
    17 years ago

I got my Oasis set back in July, and really do enjoy them. I think I may have a problem similar to some others, tho, with the dual motor dryer, but it's not been a big enough deal that I have called anyone, yet. I think the washer gets the clothes really clean, so far so good...good luck to you.

My daughter just bought the Cabrio set, I hope she likes them as well as I like the Oasis!

• ddgg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kpyeatt,,,what kind of frontloader did you get?
    I cant' go even a tiny bit deeper than the cabrio.
    Like the washer, hate the dryer,,, so far. Repairman will be coming to check it next week. Ridiculous!

• herus
    17 years ago

I disagree that the Cabrio dryer does not have the problem with getting stuck. Mine does this; the first service call resulted in the repairman claiming clogged vent.

Now vent is clean and the problem occurs less, but still does, esp with a load of towels or containing towels.

• kpyeatt
    17 years ago

ddgg - I got the Whirlpool Duets which I love! They work beautifully. Sounds like those won't fit in your laundry room though. I don't really know much about any other Fl's. Sorry.

• ddgg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have checked the vent,, ,no clog. The repairman is coming today. I will let ya'll know what he says.

• ddgg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well... the repairman, who admitted he had no training on the cabrio, called Whirlpool. They told him I would have to leave my laundry room door open to run my dryer.!!!! :-)The test he ran, why my timer doesn't work, is an airflow problem... its not in the vent, I stuck my hand all the way through it yesterday... They told him I would have to leave my laundry room door open!!!! My laundry room is a good decent size, nothing that should restrict airflow and I can't leave the door open. I sure hope my store will take these back, they are of no use to me!

• ddgg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HELP.... I can exchange my useless Cabrio... should I get the F & P or Whirlpool duet sport? The f & p is the on with the top loading dryer. Your thoughts???

• washer_man
    17 years ago

That top loading dryer is kinda cool.

• herus
    17 years ago

ddgg, I am almost precisely where you are. I am fed up with this (got the AF error again) and we talked to Lowe's. They will either exchange it with a new Cabrio or allow me to choose a different machine (or, I suppose although I didn't ask) get my money back.

Feel free to email me if you'd like to exchange info offline. I will be considering the F&P (not sure if Lowe's carries the brand in-store although that may not matter).

• rrah
    17 years ago

I started my washer/dryer search with the main criteria being minimal water usage. We're on septic so the less water dumped into the tank the better. Front loaders didn't appeal to me because I didn't want to have to bend over all the time, I read lots of horror stories about mold, and many of them seemed to have lots of problems. I did also find some horror stories about the Oasis/Cabrio, but it seemed to be the best option.

We received our Oasis-Canyon W/D in August. I did not get the dual motor dryer as it was unnecessary for our installation. (It had something to do with how much of a run was needed for venting as the salesperson explained it to me. Since ours is vented just a couple of feet it wasn't recommended.) No problems thus far with the washer. My daughter is a swimmer and uses 4-8 large towels a day depending upon her practice schedule. Son plays soccer so he uses 2-3 daily also. I'm able to throw in a single load every other day or so with no problems. Only complaint is that the salesperson swore I would be able to wash the oversized king comforter with no problem. It did come clean, but took forever to dry. (It really is very oversized--almost as big as a spread.)

I have noticed an odd thing with the dryer. I clean the lint catcher after every load, put the next load in, power it up and the light comes on telling me to check the lint screen. I don't think it did that at first, but maybe I didn't notice it.

Overall I've been very pleased with both, but of course the set replaced a 15 year old Kenmore set on it's last legs. I probably would have been thrilled with anything.:)

• jon112
    17 years ago

The "Check Lint Screen" light flashes when you first press the power button as a reminder to clean the lint screen before running the next load. The dryer will not know if the lint screen has been cleaned or not. The light is simply a reminder.

HTH

• ddgg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well,,, I have an announcement to make :-)
    After much,,,, VERY MUCH, investigating, I believe tomorrow
    I will be exchanging my poor cabrio for a Frigidaire affinity 6000. I actually had narrowed it down between the duet sport and the frigidair, but when I get home and check the dimensions on-line, I see the duet sport really will not fit depth wise. I have a door that opens up right in front of the washer. So, I get a little bigger washer and a little smaller drier than with the duet. I am sorry my cabrio didn't work out. I must admit, I like the washer pretty well. My drier has never worked properly in the 6 days I have had it, and WP doesn't acknoledge there is a problem with the timer, senser or control board or all three. Thanks for all the information and advice. I have done a search on the affinity, I think I will be happy. I did see in the specs, that the 6000 doesn't have a end of cycle buzzer???? Surely it does. Let me know 6000 owners.
    THANKS.

• lauragannon
    17 years ago

This is a little late but wanted to add my input on the Cabrio washer that I had for a month. I posted it on epinions if anyone would like to take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post on Cabrio washer on epinions.com

• hunternicholas
    17 years ago

See my entry for December 8th.

• amijo
    16 years ago

I bought a cabrio washer on Monday, it was delivered on Thursday. Thursday night I read all the problems people have had with them, and ran over to the store and bought the service warrantly right away. Nobody at the store knows anything about the codes and there is nothing in my book. How do you find out what the codes MEAN?
    thanks
    amijo

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I have had my Cabrio HE since March and had no problems with it. My book does list the common codes that might show, they are listed under Troubleshooting (page 20 in my manual). It does not list what the "F" codes are, but if that happens, it says to call for service. I bought the extended warranty when I got it so I don't need to worry about anything for another 4 years.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

This may not be all the codes:

F1 - primary control failure

F2 - keypad / user interface failure

F40 - ATC thermistor failure

F41 - motor RPS (rotational position sensor) thermistor failure

F50 - motor stalled

F51 - motor RPS failure

F52 - motor stop failure

F53 - motor control overtemp

F54 - motor control overcurrent

F72 - basket re-engagement failure

• betsaroo
    15 years ago

I just bought the Cabrio HE set with the steam dryer. I'm wondering if the comments are specific to this model or the old models? PLease let me know problems with this model: WTW6700TW1. I haven't had it delivered yet and I'm now seriously considering cancelling it after reading all of the horror stories. I just want to make sure it's my model that is having the problems... THANKS!

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

I exchanged my Cabrio 6400 model (HE TL) for the 6200 model (non-HE topload with agitator). MUCHO happier! I didn't like the lack of water with the HE. Those weren't as clean as a 12 year old Kitchenaid it replaced. Sacrificed a little of that 4.5cf capacity but that's ok. I have an auto water level and my choice of 4 other water levels. I could see a difference after the first wash.
    Monica

• siobhanny5
    15 years ago

Monica, That's good to hear. I was just at Best Buy and a salesperson allowed me to read reviews of the 6400 compared to the 6200 and indeed there seem to be fewer complaints about the 6200, and many raves about how well it cleans clothes. Only concern I had was a few reviews online that said the 6200 model's agitator has "fins" on the bottom that tangle clothes with straps. Is it true you can also use nay old detergent with the 6200 model but need a special detergent for the agitator-less model? I also hope the 6200 model won't have the dreaded problem of the "F51" error message soooo many people seem to get after a few months with the 6400 model.

Last questions: Where did you shop that they allowed you to make an exchange? Do you have the Cabrio dryer too?

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

siobhanny, there are fins at the bottom of the agitator on the 6200. When I saw pictures on line, I admit, I was a bit concerned. I've probably only washed 6-7 loads so I might not have a good feeling of what will (or won't) happen concerning the fins. So far, so good. I got printer ink on a shirt a couple weeks ago. After pre-treating and soaking, the 6400 failed to remove the stain. It ligtened it but the shirt was still ruined. I really wasn't holding my breath anyway. Today, I tried again. 95% of the ink stain came out! In fact, it's small enough and light enough that along with the design in the shirt, I'll still be able to wear it. Yes, you can use "regular" detergent with the 6200 and have to use a HE labeled detergent with the agitator-less HE machines. I purchased my washers from Lowes. Also spent $100 on an extended 4 year warranty. The warranty starts after the 1 year Whirlpool warranty. I do not have the Cabrio dryer.
    Monica

• siobhanny5
    15 years ago

Monica, Thanks for responding to my post. Now I'm torn between the Cabrio 6200 and the Maytag Bravos MTW 6700.

Read your other posts too. A delay feature sounds great!

Thanks again.

• washer_man
    15 years ago

The Cabrio & the Bravos should be essentially the same machine, but The Bravos was released after the Cabrio, and a lot of people are saying that because of this it had all the bugs worked out.

This does make a certain amount of sense, but if it's true the bugs should all be worked out for the Cabrio as well since they are both made by Whirlpool on the same manufacturing line.

It could also be true that Maytag customers have a different temperament from Whirlpool customers, and maybe they are more likely to read through the user manual and learn all the quirks of the washer before they use. Who knows ...

• cynic
    15 years ago

washer_man are they actually built in the same place? I'm trying to document one way or another since hearing these conentions which I find hard to believe. Reminds me of 10 years ago when someone was telling a friend of mine Don't buy the Dodge mini van, they're no good, buy the Plymouth, they're great! When I told her they were the same she didn't want to believe it because someone had told her differently.

I'd like to know if it truly is a different design or if it's a modified version of the other. Can't get any information that satisfies me one way or the other. Lots of rumors, few hard facts. You know how that goes.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

washer_man and cynic, I can tell you guys this: I haven't had even one of the problems commonly reported by owners of Whirlpool Cabrios.

Now, I don't that's not absolute proof that the Maytag Bravos is better. I just know that I've had ZERO problems with my washer (model 6700) - for which I am extremely grateful.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

Typing and posting too fast. I had meant to say, "... I KNOW that's not absolute proof..."

• hopefulhome
    13 years ago

so im about to purchase a 2 year old Cabrio (6600 model w/6400 model dryer). any advice? i really like the set and the price is good i think... $675 for both but they are out of warranty of course and i don't want to spend anymore to get em fixed if they have problems. the sellers said they haven't had any problems. any help or advice would be appreciated. thanks