Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimbers324

How many drops of grapefruit seed extract to use in a HE washer?

kimbers324
13 years ago

I just got the LG 5101 Top Loader...will use the Sanitary cycle for towels, but it isn't appropriate for more delicate fabrics. In which case, I plan to use some drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract to sanitize the load. Does anyone know how many drops to use for a normal load size in a HE washer? Thanks....

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Just why do you want to sanitize clean clothes. The detergent and water does that.

The trouble with things today is that people are sanitizing everything to death. It's aided and abetted by the cleaning products manufacturing industry with their advertizing of all those neat, colorful bugs on every surface. The ones who use sanitizers think that it will keep them from getting sick if they kill every germ. That is far from the truth. Our immune system builds up antibodies with exposure and if you don't have minimum exposure to build those antibodies you get very sick when you are exposed to a bigger dose.

Now I'm not saying live in filth or not to take precautions when dealing with meat and the like. Just to live a normal life without sanitizing everything to death.

• joe_in_philly
    13 years ago

I do not know the answer to the poster's original question, but I do know that detergent and water alone is not sufficient for all situations.

While washing in detergent may remove common germs, that may not be enough for the poster's particular circumstances. I can only speculate the motivation for the original post, but being a patient with an illness or a caregiver of someone with a weakened immune system (chemotherapy or organ transplant patient) are just two examples of situations which may require a more rigorous laundry regimen.

• xhappyx
    13 years ago

I have read on a site that sells GSE to add approx 20-40 drops per load of laundry. If you have a front loader I would go with the 20 drops which is equal to about 1/4 teaspoon.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

@kimbers324: You may wish to hop over to Wikipedia and read about grapefruit seed extract. It does not have any anti-microbial activity on its own. I think you will be wasting your money. If you want a natural product with proven sanitizing effects, go with pine oil. Be aware that pine oil is considered a phenolic disinfectant, and as such it may be toxic to cats. If you have cats, don't expose them to this product and ensure everything you wish with it is properly rinsed.

• mariannette
    11 years ago

For light laundry disinfecting: use 10-15 drops per load.

For heavy disinfecting (when dealing with something nasty or resistant): ý to 1 teaspoon of GSE to each load of laundry. Wash and dry normally

• dave1812
    11 years ago

that has GOT to be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum. Reports about the efficacy of GFSE are HIGHLY suspect. suckers born every minute...

• conate
    11 years ago

I cannot speak for GFSE, but I will say this:

The reason why folks sanitize things is the mania we have in the first world for washing in COLD water.

In order to get body oils etc. out of clothes you need to raise them above blood heat - preferable with a profile wash that starts cold and washes out protein, then heats the water to get out oils.

So instead we use chemistry.

• abatoon
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Please don't believe everything on Wikipedia. Some of those sources are completely bogus!