Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seventh Generation on Optical Brighteners

Posted by livebetter (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 10:24

I watched this video today and thought the information was interesting. I thought some on the forum might find it interesting too.

I know a fair bit about OBs but learned a few new things.

"Optical brighteners are synthetic chemicals that make fabrics appear to glow in the presence of ultraviolet light. They don't have anything to do with getting things clean - they're only added to detergents to make us think our laundry is brighter and whiter than it really is.

Designed to intentionally remain behind on our clothes and linens, optical brighteners rub off on our skin where they can cause a reaction that looks like sunburn.

They're no fun for the environment either. Optical brighteners washed down our drains frequently survive wastewater treatment and escape into our lakes, rivers, and streams. Once there, they don't completely biodegrade and instead accumulate in fish."

Here is a link that might be useful: Seventh Generation - Say No to the Glow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seventh Generation on Optical Brighteners

Here is the ingredients list from SeventhGeneration.com:

Natural Powdered Laundry:

• SODIUM CARBONATE
  • SODIUM BICARBONATE
  • SODIUM CITRATE
  • SODIUM SILICATE
  • ZEOLITES
  • FATTY ALCOHOL ETHOXYLATE
  • POLYGLUCOSE
  • MAGNESIUM SULFATE
  • SODIUM SULFATE
  • SODIUM CHLORIDE
  • SODIUM PERCARBONATE
  • CARBOXYMETHYL INULIN
  • CARBOXYMETHYL CELLULOSE
  • PROTEASE
  • CELLULASE
  • OLEIC ACID
  • ESSENTIAL OILS
  • BOTANICAL EXTRACTS
    • CITRUS AURANTIUM AMARA (PETITGRAIN BIGARADE SUR FLEURS), CITRUS AURANTIUM DULCIS (BLOOD ORANGE), CITRUS AURANTIUM BERGAMIA (BERGAMOT), MYRISTICA FRAGRANS (NUTMEG)

o

Is that list of ingredients good or bad :) ?

I would really like to know!

o

Here's an expanded explanation of ingredients. I think as far as detergents go ... this one is fine. Laundry has to get clean and it's going to take more than water to accomplish the task :)

Sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium citrate, sodium silicate and zeolites (water softeners and alkalinity builders), fatty alcohol ethoxylate and polyglucose (coconut and corn-derived cleaning agents), magnesium sulfate, sodium sulfate and sodium chloride (performance enhancers), sodium percarbonate (non-chlorine bleach), carboxymethyl inulin and carboxymethyl cellulose (antiredeposition agents), protease and cellulase (non-animal derived enzymes), oleic acid (plant-derived anti-foaming agents), essential oils and botanical extracts* (citrus aurantium amara (petitgrain bigarade sur fleurs), citrus aurantium dulcis (blood orange), citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot), myristica fragrans (nutmeg)). *D-limonene is a naturally occurring component of these ingredients.

Here is a link that might be useful: ingredients

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here