Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deutsch100

SURF Powder detergent in a Front load Washer

deutsch100
14 years ago

Hey guys! So I am very cautious (and picky) what goes into my Miele Washer. I almost always use German Persil detergent. Once in a while I use Tide he powder, but sometimes the smell annoys me, and sometimes there is a hint of white powder in the drum that I do not like, and can't stop thinking that "filler" powder residue is also on my clothes and skin.

Anyway, I bought a box of SURF Powder at my local Target (cheap, like $4.50 USD). It is the classic Clean scent (SO good, like clean, old fashioned detergent...no tropical nonsense or spiced holdiay pears, or any other BS:) It is not he, but thought I'd try a little, since I remember I used to love SURF detergent in the early 1990's.

It did not foam, even when I used almost the recommended amount of almost a cup. It rinsed clean, and the smell was there, but really faint. I used it for darks, colours and sheets and towels. Don't know long term if it is good for colour conservation, but it smells great & no bubbles. I always use Persil Universal Gel for whites though (the green bottle), since it can handle heat to 95C (203F). USA detergents break down and stop working way before that, but Persil is designed for European (mainly German) washers that have near boil wash points.

Comments (26)

• sparky823
    14 years ago

Not sure about the Surf but it should be ok as long as it is not oversudsing.

I was in Wal-Mart over the weekend and noticed they have Tide Powder with Downey HE now and also have a new version of Purex liquid-Coldwater that works in either HE or traditional machines. I wish they would make a Tide w/bleach powder HE.

I too have noticed the white powderish stuff in the machine afterwards when using Tide powderHE.I have also seen that in my dryer vent outside when cleaning it out.

• deutsch100
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for replying sparky823. I've written to Tide several times about them offering Tide with bleach he powder. I'd much rather have that than Tide with Downy he. Tide says their is very little market for Tide with Bleach he powder. Some people are dyed in the wool powder detergent fans, but the hugely, vast majority of Americans use and want liquid detergent. Being German, Germany is also quickly gaining a lot of love and demand for liquids. Although powder choices are huge, liquid detergent is becoming really popular.

I really dislike that white residue Tide he Powder leaves. For this reason, I have not used it in months. Honestly, my Persil Color Gel and Persil Universal Gel (for whites) is as close to perfect as possible. Also, the 2 local stores that sell Persil, lowered their prices $5 per bottle. So while still expensive, not as bad now.

The Surf powder does not leave any residue at all (and lathers/bubbles very little). I like the smell a lot, but it does not last, and is very faint. Which is maybe a big plus for some. With my Persil, the whole laundry room smells clean, old fashioned and almost like pine. I love it a lot!!!

• elbits
    14 years ago

Sears powder detergent leaves no residue on my black pants.

• sparky823
    14 years ago

I read a comment a service tech made about Persil detergent. He said that he had noticed that service calls he had done on machines where the people used Persil(powder)they had no smell, no mold or any build up or scumb at all. He believed it was from using the Persil since that seemed to hold true in every case where they exclusively used it. I wonder if the Persil Gel would be the same?
    I believe Fordtech said that he also used Persil Powder and had no problems with buildup or mold although he did before, using different brands.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

I have also contacted Tide to ask them to make an HE powdered formula with bleach. I used to love using the regular formula on whites in my former washers.

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

Bumping this thread. Picked up a 40-Load box, for like $3 @ Target a few nights ago. Horrible, Horrible Idea.

It has a *nice* scent to it, but it's far, far too strong. And not only that... But, it's extremely sudsy. Even more so, than Foca... which is a huge surprise to me. I bet mamapinky would love playing with the stuff.

It has Enzymes & Oxygen Bleach. Just... too many suds, lol.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Since this post from OMG 2009 (Mitch how do you find these relics, LOL?), I have tried Surf powder 2 more times, and both times the neighbour lady got both boxes. SUDS-o-RAMA. Crazy suds, hard to rinse and yes a strong scent (but I actually kind of like it). Cheap though!

How did I think it suds so little back in 2009? Maybe Surf changed again? Not a fav detergent of mine!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Since when did USA Surf have enzymes? But I swear it could have an enzyme cocktail that just a wiff makes you tipsy, and enough sodium percarbonate to whiten the most dingy you can throw at it EVEN in cold water and I won't go near the stuff..the scent is enough to make a dead person gag, its gawd awful stuff...and did I mention I don't like it

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Take it back mich..I swear it will infest your entire house no matter how well you bag, box, seal, a steal voult can't keep the stink away.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I recently gave 2ginormous boxes to the laundramat..omg..its horriable....but years ago when it first came out it wasn't such a bad scent .

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Mich, you need to run faster than that..hell I can run that fast..lol

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@Larsi, I just searched for Surf Powder. I guess the old stuff, was perfect... because, I never got as lucky as you with it. Far, Far too sudsy.

@mamapinky, it's already been given away to another home, lmao. They don't mind the scent, and have a top loader. lol

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

When Surf debuted, like Gain...the scent was clean and like old fashioned detergent. Of course now it is VILE!!!!

• Laundry Mich
    8 years ago

@Larsi... the sad part is, I think all american detergent's will eventually be Vile. It's only a matter of time :/

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Absolutly agree, and its because the younger generation wants that sweet candy scent, and that generation is the majority. ..not you Mich...lol your the minority. .hehe

• elcamino83
    8 years ago

Isn't that the truth? I look at the detergents and think "could be detergent...could be a Bacardi mixer". Although when I go through the laundry aisle in whatever store I am in, I will look to see what other people pick, and for the most part, people make very sensible decisions. I see spray starch, stain remover, Tide, etc. Disclaimer: I do live in the South. We tend to be conservative and brand loyal here.

• beaglenc
    8 years ago

Surf was the only powder I tried in my Bosch. Don't remember the suds factor but when the clothes were done the was undissolved powder on my clothes. And that was with warm water. Back to the liquids.

@ elcamino, yeah, some of them make you want to grab some ice cream or a mixer. It's a shame the younger generations wont know what clean laundry really smells like.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Paw, your becomming a real detergent junkie, so proud of you kiddo, lol..everyone has a different sniffer, isn't it strange that we all smell things differently, same as our taste buds are different. Enjoy your new detergent Paw.

• Pawprint
    8 years ago

I'm addicted. But just buying the smallest box or bottles for now.

• Jean
    8 years ago

Fellow black sheep here too pawprint because I like the stuff!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Paw, I was thinking, how about I send you some Sears detergent to try, it comes in such huge boxes and I thought you might like to try it..also do you have STPP? Heck I can't remember ..lol. if not I can send you some to try..and some Tide Professional with Oxi...just message me your address.

• Pawprint
    8 years ago

Message sent! I'll smuggle some jugs of Sun over the boarder when I drive to PA to see you!!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Lol..ok Paw, I'll let you know when its on its way..I want the yellow Sun..lmao

• Laundry Mich
    7 years ago

Stumbled upon a box of this yesterday. (Atleast I didn't buy it this time!)

Actually, smells pretty decent. Much better than P&G's scent creations, but I doubt Larsi would love it.

No-HE logo in sight but a call to Sun and was told in certain terms not to try it in a HE Machine. ;)

Also... If anyone cares, Surf Liquid has been discontinued.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Mich...I am not sensitive to most scents, I may not be a fan of scents but I'm not sensitive. All of the Surf varities drive my nose insane. I gave a ton away since i could not stand how it made my head feel LOL....I bet this detergent above all the choices out there would drive our Roc crazy.

I don't remember Surf smelling so potent years ago.

Thanks for the up on Surf liquid, I suppose I should buy a small one at the dollar store to pack away..so 20 years from now when one of you guys are hunting for it, I'll have it for you lol.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!