Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki_friedman

Laundry Layout- Help me pick the right machines

Niki Friedman
9 years ago

Cannot thank you all enough for helping me find the right machines for our family and the space available. Here is the current floorplan

Here is the space for the new machines.

The room to the right that's losing the big closet is a guest room. The room on the lower right is my 4 year old. The steps separate him and my 7 year old.

Do you think that a front loader is doable there?

Comments (10)

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just read that the elecrolux front loaders have reversible doors. Would you recommend that the washer open to the right? Would it be annoying to have the dryer door open to the left and have the doors banging each other?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You want to be able to transfer the wet laundry to the dryer w/o doors in the way.

• poppy214
    9 years ago

You didn't list any measurements, but it looks like a really tight space. Most US washers and dryers are 27 in wide. Based on that, I estimated you have a little over 5.5ft.in width. If that is correct, you won't have enough room for the largest front loaders; they are both wider and deeper than the standard 27 inch machines. But you probably could fit the 4.0 to 4.3 cu ft machines. Unfortunately, you can't expect to be able to wash a king size quilt in this size machine, but all the rest of your laundry would easily fit. You could also fit the smaller 3.0 cu ft. frontloaders and the 24in width European machines. Depends on the measurements. You would just have to do more loads with the smaller capacity.

Did you know that the LGs and the Sears Kenmore washers have a magnetic prop that keeps the door open? There are also some extra cycles available that keep the drum tumbling after the main cycle finishes to keep clothes fresh. Some people also use fans. You might consider louvered doors on the closet to increase the air flow.

If you still want that Speed Queen, you should be able to wash the king size sheets in it. At worst you would have to do two loads. I used to do queen size and twin sized blankets and sheets just fine in a toploader the size of the Speed Queen. You will probably have to adjust the water level as many other members have suggested to get the correct amount of washing and rinse levels. All the rest of the usual domestic wash is a question of size and weight. No, you can't do twelve pairs of adult jeans in one load, but you can do six. You may not be able to do sleeping bags, large dog beds, and area rugs, but you can do small bathmats and throw rugs.

One way I cut cost in our remodel was to consider the optimum function for the appliance irrespective of brand. You could have that Speed Queen in white but consider a less expensive dryer also in white. Why does it have to match? It' s in a closet. Whirlpool makes great dryers under a lot of different brand badges. My dryer is 15 years old and still going strong. No electronics, no steam cycle, it does have a moisture sensor, time dry and no heat dry. That's all I need.

Good Luck

• poppy214
    9 years ago

Get a hamper style dryer door opens top to bottom and eliminate the problem. It also gives a landing pad if you drop something on the way in or out of the dryer.

Electrolux is a great machine if you have a local repair man.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buying two different machines is an interesting idea. I've read reviews on the whirpool hamper models and people love them, though I read complaints about the sloped top. Does anyone know if all of the models have the slanted top? It was hard to tell from the pictures.

• poppy214
    9 years ago

Here's one
    Whirlpool WED5600XW
    another http://www.whirlpool.com/-%5BWED4850XQ%5D-1001609/WED4850XQ/
    Whirlpool WED5700V
    There are also some Kenmores that are built by Whirlpool--I got mine at an outlet-scratch and dent.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Poppy317!! Both of those models are discontinued but they are for sale online dirt cheap.

What do you all think about doing a front loader, 4.3, opening to the right, and a hamper style dryer? At least that way I can throw the clothes over the washer lid onto the hamper style dryer. Will have to see if the LGs and Kenmores have reversible handles like the electrolux.

You're right on the dimensions. 5ft at the opening and just shy of 6ft on the inside. Looks like just shy of 3 ft depth. I'm still holding out hope that I can wash a king blanket!!!

We are doing louvered doors on the top- this is code where we live I'm told. Thanks again!!!!!!!

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about the LG 7.3 Cu. Ft. Electric Dryer Model: DLE1101W and the Electrolux 4.2 Cu. Ft. Steam Front-Load Washer Model: EIFLS55IIW with the door opening to the right?

These seem to look ok together in my opinion because the LG doesn't have the control panel in the back.

Additionally, we would save on tax with the washer if purchased during our tax holiday.

• poppy214
    9 years ago

Viennamommy19

All the Big Box stores have the manuals and dimensions on the web site for the various models. I would be concerned with making sure all the doors would open enough to easily load and unload the laundry. You have a potential bottleneck in your hallway with doors open to dry machines when passage is required to exit bedrooms. Your designer should be able to help you with that if he/she has the dimensions. Reversible doors will also depend on where your plumbing connections are. I'm guessing the washer goes on the left as you face the closet? There is one Kenmore Elite 4.3 washer (built by LG) that I know has the reversible door.

Your preferences will decide the features you must have. I absolutely must have the sanitize or allergen hot wash cycle due to the allergies in my family. If you need that, you will need an on-board heater in the washer. Current standards will not give you a true hot wash without it. I think of the current "government hot" as warm. Also, all the rinses will be cold. Use of the hot wash is also key to mold control in my opinion. Control placement is your preference too. The little people in my life love to open doors, turn knobs and push buttons--washers, dryers, dishwashers and stoves. We like hidden placement and high up for just that reason. I'm sure you already know that all frontloaders will vibrate to some degree or another. In my experience, those units on pedestals tend to vibrate more than units installed on the floor. I understand that Electrolux has a "second floor guarantee" that may be useful in upstairs laundries. I have a couple of friends who love their machines. We don't have repair service for the Elux brand where I live so could not consider it.

Now about that king size blanket: I tried a king size medium loft quilt in a 4.3 cu ft. LG frontloader, it didn't work. The unit even had a setting for comforters. It washed all right, but had real problems with the balance sensors on the drain and spin cycles. The cycle took about 3 hours with all the rebalance and attempts at rinsing. Way too much soap residue left behind. Technical support told me the model was not supposed to be able to wash comforters even though it had the setting. They didn't want to hear about "truth in advertising." I see there are posters this morning who say their Electrolux 4.4 can do a king sized quilt. Maybe the add water feature is the key to success. 7.2 cu ft dryer sounds right; that's what I have. Oh, Electrolux is supposed to coming out with some new models toward the end of the year so you might be able to negotiate a good deal.

Some other things I learned the hard way:

A. Buy from a place that has a reasonable exchange/return policy for whatever reason to get the model you really want/need. I believe Lowe's is about a week and Sears has a 30 day return policy. If you set up your test laundry right after the unit is installed, you will know within a day if the unit will work for you. That LG I tried on the king sized quilt went back two days after it was delivered for a different larger model.

B. Your warranty may only cover REPAIR. If you get a lemon and there are some in every brand, the replacement is at the discretion of the manufacturer. Determination that it is a lemon is also at their sole discretion. Whirlpool and GE are known for this practice.

Good Luck.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again Poppy317 for all of this fantastic info!

I had no idea that there were allergy settings on washing machines. This would be absolutely wonderful for us, as DH and my younger son both have environmental allergies. We've got air scrubbers and hepa filters and bedding covers galore and I wash bedding constantly on hot in my 9 yr old kenmore.

I worry about the bottlenecking situation in the hallway as well. Since I'm a stay at home mom, I do most of the laundry in the morning when the kids are at school and after they go to bed. I think it's workable but it is a narrow space to begin with. We also have a big child safety gate at the foot of the steps to compete with!!

I just sent our designer the specs for the electrolux and LG dryer- will let her figure out how to make them work. I think ill head over to the local appliance store as well (the SQ dealer). They seem to really know their stuff. We bought all of our kitchen appliances elsewhere so I'll also have them price the machines. Hoping to score a fabulous deal.