Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peteski50

LG Service Nightmare.

peteski50
17 years ago

Hi everyone I am going to attach a letter I just sent to the consumer affairs about my problems with my LG. Please remember I am not knocking LG products itself. I do feel they are quality products as long as they work and don't need service. But I will never buy LG again.

Please read over

Thank you,

Peter

Purchased LG front loader washer/dryer combo model WM3677HW over 2 years ago. After 10 months of use door developed a leak. The machine was still under warranty and obtained service through purchaser who is Leiberts Royal Green appliance in White Plains NY

914-949-5999. Sent out appliance repair Jimmy same day service. Not so much same day it took 9 days to come and do service. Problem was resolved at that time by machine being rebalanced and door being tightened. This past May 2006 the same problem reoccurred after 9 months with the door developing the same type of leak. This time I was under extended warranty through GE zurich service. When calling at that time it was explained to me that they had a problem locating a service provider so call went back to Jimmy same day service and from the start of original call until he came for repair was 2 weeks. He repaired by just tighten the door again. Worked fine for 4 months and now same problem developed with door leak. Machine broke on 9/24/06 I called LG customer service and received a consult # c06092426921 and given a list of 4 different services. They told me to contact GE warranty service and follow through with them. I called GE 9/25 they stated they would have to research who would do the servicing and they explained that Jimmy same day cannot be located anyway. I waited until 9/27 and called them back and they werent able to locate anyone but said I could use who LG recommended and I would have to pay for the service and they would reimburse

me. 3 out of 4 of the services LG recommended had different excuses. One said they didnÂt come to my area, the other doesnÂt do extended warranty work and the third couldnÂt be reached. In the meantime GE located a company called Millwood appliances in the Bronx NY I spoke to them and made a appointment for 9/28 to come and check problem. I called them that day at 1PM to confirm a 4PM appointment and the administrator explained the person who knew the LG products was called on a family emergency and would not be back for a few weeks. She had no one else to send out. I called the Leiberts Royal Green store and it was explained by the service coordinator Pamela Savage that she didnÂt have anyone else except Jimmy same day service to fix LG and he cannot be located. I explained my situation again for the second time and she said she would get back to me and she hasnÂt. I called her and left 3 messages since with no return call. My last resort was a corporation called Eastside appliance in Mount Vernon NY 914-699-5200 and they explained they fixed LG appliances. So I made a appointment for 10/06/06. I still contacted LG again about the poor level of finding service people and filed a complaint # v06092806831. I had a supervisor (Anderetta) who called me back on 9/30/06. She was pleasant and listened and I explained the poor service issues that I was unhappy about and being I was scheduled for 10/06/06 with Eastside she will authorize them to order a new door for the unit. And she explained that the part should arrive before than. (door ref # c06093057306) When I contacted Eastside on 10/2/06 they explained that parts were authorized but what parts werenÂt listed. This took another day to straighten out. Parts were than ordered and of course they werenÂt in for the 6th. So we set a new appointment for 10/13/06. I called Eastside again and parts still didnÂt arrive they stated it should be in by 10/16/06. We made another appointment for 10/19/06. Lets see if it happens. It is now 10/14/06 and I have no washing machine for 3 weeks. I have to say this is beyond poor service. I have never had such a horrible customer service experiences. As a consumer I spent good money on a product that is supposed to be high quality. In addition I should not have to be making all these calls. If LG is having these products being sold they should have enough technical support. Also if a part is being ordered it should be sent overnight. I was also informed LG doesnÂt allow what service distributors they have to stock any parts. How ridiculous is that? I am reaching out for help and I want everyone to know they should never buy a LG product. I will never again do so. This has been so distressing and the situation is far from over. Please help and give me some input.

Comments (86)

• fordtech
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is there ANYONE who stands behind thier products and provides real service today?

• thebearsfamily
    17 years ago

This saga has convinced me to stick with my 10 year old Amana W&D which work fine and have needed next to no servicing EVER. I will move it upstairs to our new 2nd floor laundry and appreciate their simple white functionality. I also have always worried about the front load washers' potential for leaking. That was basically the whole problem Peter has been experiencing.
    However I am now worried about potential problems for the LG counter depth french door fridge that I overpaid for just to get counter depth.....

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

Warranty service is EVERY manufacturers nightmare. It equates to a downright loss for them. Although, I have never heard of the consumer paying out of pocket the authorized service dealer, then being reimbursed by the company! It sounds like a very poor service network arrangement. No doubt LG's service arrangements have a lot to be desired as do alot of other appliance imports. Sometimes price and style shouldn't be the deciding factor when making a purchase. Service and parts availability is absolutely everything!

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yesturday I got a letter in the mail from the local consumer protection. Stated:
    Westchester County Consumer Protection: stated
    RE: LG 201 James Record Road Huntsville AL 35824
    To Peter Sternlieb
    Your complaint against the above named firm has been received by this department and assigned to Inspector Tony Venturino for review and investigation.

Also being I had sent the LG CEO (Michael Ahn) the same information and that was sent return receipt. I did get the reciept back 4 days ago but herd nothing.

I don't expect to get any special results but at least I tried.
    Peter

• lynnette63
    17 years ago

Peter,
    I can certainly sympathize with you. My nightmare was a refrigerator that caught on fire. I called LG the morning after the fire, and they had a technician from a local appliance repair company at my home within hours. The technician declared the refrigerator a total loss, called LG himself, and assured me that someone would be calling me from LG the next day to get everything squared away with not only the loss of the refrigerator but of the food I had lost. Sounded good to me.

Then the problem started. No one called. I had to repeatedly call LG myself just to get someone to talk to me. Then, after being passed back and forth to several departments, I was asked to fax a copy of my original receipt to LG. The fax number I was given did not work. Several phone calls later, and much time spent on hold, I had yet another fax number that did not work. This time, I tried to reach the woman I had been dealing with, only to be told she was not available and no one else could help me. After about three weeks of the phone tag game, I was very frustrated, so I went to H.H. Gregg, where I had made my fateful purchase. They were able to contact their LG field representative who was driving at the moment, but promised to call me as soon as he was off the road for the day. He didn't call, but I was able to contact him myself a couple days later so I could get a mailing address for LG. The receipt was mailed to LG via certified mail. Then I had to wait for the buy-back unit to agree to buy back the ruined refrigerator. To make a long story short, I got a check from LG four months after the fire, but the amount did not include any money for food (they wouldn't pay without grocery receipts, like anyone keeps those!) or any consideration for the amount I had paid for a now completely useless extended warranty. I truly believe they were hoping I would just get fed up and go away.

All I can say is life was definitely not good while I was dealing with that company! And I'll never buy another of their products again. I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer now, and some of the LG's are impressive, but I'm just not willing to fight the company if something goes wrong again.

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Lynette,
    I feel for you but am not surprised. As you can see I refered this to my local consumer protection. I don't think much could be done in my case or yours. What I want to do most of all is find a way to go public with these issues and make them look so bad. I want the hole world to know before they purchase from LG that they will get terrible service if they need it. And like you the most agravating part is not the broken unit but calling all over and spending endless time getting no where. And being made a fool of like what they told you with the grocery reciepts. I feel like I have a second job. I definatly want to persue making LG look bad because of these issues. I supposed you bought another brand refrigator. Keep me posted.
    Peter

• bowisc
    17 years ago

I was looking at a black french-door bottom freezer from LG (in black and with water/ice maker). I will be staying away from LG. I guess the Maytag is my only choice in the sub $2500 range.

• lynnette63
    17 years ago

Peter,
    I did indeed buy another brand of refrigerator. While I realize what happened could have happened with any brand of appliance, I just couldn't put my family's safety in the hands of LG again. As it was, I barely slept for several weeks. Sounds silly, I guess, but I just couldn't rest, and felt the need to be on guard.
    At least my problem was resolved in four months, which is a lot better than your situation. Of course, those four months were spent with a refrigerator sitting on the deck, waiting for LG's buy back unit to come pick it up. They finally came, just before I got the check.
    I agree that people need to be made aware of how the LG corporation treats consumers. I was happy with the refrigerator until the fire, and was extremely pleased with the local repairman's response, but that's where my satisfaction ended. You and I and countless other consumers are the ones who ultimately keep the lights on at LG, and we deserve to be treated in a fair, compassinate manner.
    Lynnette

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lynnette,
    It doesn't sound silly. Even though my machine is operational now or seems operational I am not comfortable doing laundry. After so much negativity it is hard to think positive about something. After all the things I have been hearing about LG service I believe they are not going to do anything to really fix the problems. So I am waiting for the right place to put all this information so at least it will be made very public. When people stop purchasing LG than they will get the message. That will give me satisification.
    Peter

• gerardc_ny
    17 years ago

"Is there ANYONE who stands behind thier products and provides real service today?"

Hewlett Packard!!

• HerringboneD28
    17 years ago

......and Zippo lighters.

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

On Friday 1/5/07 I spoke to Tony Venturino from the local consumer protection. He explained that not to much could be done he has no other records about complaints from LG. He did tell me that he would check into getting some money back from the service contract for me. I did explain that the warrenty company did reimburse me. I said my biggest goal is to make LG look bad because of the service issues. He again explained he is trying to get in touch with LG but it is really the warrenty GE service that is responsible. He explained that I may also want to persue this with New York State consumer protection. I may contact them later this week. It's just like a no win situation. It is no wonder these big companies get away with this stuff. If only I could post all this where a lot of people read than LG would look bad and people will think twice before purchasing.

BTW I did 2 loads of laundry successfully yesterday without a leak. (I still don't feel comfortable and probably never will.)
    Wouldn't most people feel the same way.

Peter

• amberkat
    17 years ago

My LG washer begin to stop during a wash cycle and display the motor overload symbol. I read a few reviews here that suggested unplugging the unit for awhile. This method worked, but I paid too much for this washer & dryer to be inconvienced when doing laundry. And the problem got progessively worse so that I could not finish some loads. On the first trip, the technician told me that I needed to use he detergent which I was already using, but I did admit to using regular detergent a few times in the past. He said this was enough to overload the motor and suggested a product called wash out or something to that effect. I used vinegar instead (couldn't find the product) I begin having the same problem again and he came and sold me a very strong product to clean out the machine. I did this and continued to have problems. When I called again, he suggested that I call LG myself as he didn't know what to do. I politely told the girl that the lemon law states that after so many failed repair attempts that I should receive a new washer. She told me "we don't have the lemon law". I laughed and said I bet you don't but our state law does and if you sell products in out state you need to abide by the law! Anyway, my extended warranty was through Best Buy and not LG so I would have to get the machine fixed through them. The technician then came and changed the motor on which he noted there was no "gunk" so the theory that too much detergent was used was not applicable. I didn't have problems for about a week and then the code would reappear. The next time the technician came he changed the circuit board and I have not had any problems since. (Its been at least 2 months) I really like my LG washer and was contemplating gettting LG appliances for my kitchen. Yesterday, I was leaving Best Buy and observed an LG washer just like mine being wheeled into the store by 2 employees. Did someone not finishing paying for their machine or were they returning it? (It was obviously used.) I'll be a little nervous when my extended warranty runs out in a few years. I think I'll hold off on the kitchen appliances.

• guildasu
    17 years ago

Hi Peter,

I am currently in the process of remodeling my kitchen and laundry room. Due to reports of poor and unresponsive service from LG on this forum and the kitchen forum, I have made a deliberate choice to avoid all of their products. I really like the look and function of their washers and dryers. However, with a family of six to keep fed and clean, I am not willing to gamble with the quality of the product and the LG service issues. I would have purchased their top of the line machines, but will not due to these issues.Perhaps the CEO needs to understand that word of the poor service is out in the marketplace, and is beginning to effect the sale of their products. Sue

• Helen23
    17 years ago

Hi Peter,

I'm the one who wrote in another thread about my LG washer headache -- the problem of the pump breaking apparently because of too much lint. Well, the service person came to change out the pump today and I was ready with my camera. They found a ball of lint in the pump that was less than an inch in diameter. The hose that pumps out water through the lint filter is around 3/8" wide so, after sending the pictures, it was determined to be my fault and I get to pay for the repair.

At this point I have a problem not only with LG but with a front-loading washer that can't handle a load of laundry that produces lint that when all rolled up is less than an inch wide. The LG manager tells me that all front-loaders are like this. Plus, even though the washer takes much less water, it takes 2-3 times the time to wash a load so that's using up a whole lot more electricity. Our water bill at this house averages $15, our electricity bill $400. What an idiotic purchase this front loading washer was!

Helen

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Helen - it was not idiotic to purchase a front load washer. They do wash better and use a lot less water and soap than a top loader. The LG does take longer and of cource all the garbage that the LG manager told you I can understand how you feel. I personally recommend other brand FL washers to people keep me posted

Sue - you made a wise decission not to purchase LG even though the products seem to be made well, if you can't get decent service what good is it than.

Amberkat yes LG will try to get away with anything. Keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks All
    Peter

• jakkom
    17 years ago

>>Perhaps the CEO (of LG Corp) needs to understand that word of the poor service is out in the marketplace, and is beginning to effect the sale of their products.Well, they'll probably just do what they did the last time their products got a lousy rep in the US. Change their name, glitz up the front appearances, and sucker people all over again.

Fool me once (with Lucky Goldstar), shame on you. Fool me twice (now LG), shame on.....

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Today I spoke to the FTC Federal Trade Commission and they stated that not to much could be done about my situation alone. They would need to have several complaints before they would look into these issues. The only thing I could encourage is if others have had problems with LG to call the FTC at
    877-382-4357 and file a complaint and if a lot of complaints add up they may check into it.
    I encourage everyone with a complaint to call and if enough add up something could be done.

Also yesterday my local consumer protection contacted me and said they tried to get my warranty updated from GE services but they were unable to do so. They also told the consumer rep that they would fulfill my warranty but will no longer be picking up newer LG contracts.
    I will keep trying but not to much more can be done.

Peter

• dross
    17 years ago

The LG manager tells me that all front-loaders are like this.

Of course he did. He's lying.

Plus, even though the washer takes much less water, it takes 2-3 times the time to wash a load so that's using up a whole lot more electricity.

No it isn't. Adding time to a wash is only a marginal increase in electricity (the power used to spin the tub is negligible, even if heavily laden), the main use of electricity is in the heating of water, which only takes place during one part of the wash cycle (if your machine has a heater). - DR

• amberkat
    17 years ago

Actually, they did get my washer fixed and I am satisfied. I guess if I couldn't have used the washer at all while waiting for them to figure out what was wrong I would have been more upset. I have no complaints with the service repair company that came out to fix the machine. They simply followed LG's recommendations for repair. I wanted to laugh when the girl with LG said they "don't have the lemon law". That was pure ignorance on her part. I really do like this washer, I just hope that I don't have problems with it after the extended warranty runs out.

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Amberkat,
    I hope you do not have any more problems either. Believe it or not I do like my machine. But after all the grief and several times I don't even enjoy using it any more. Their products are good. But it comes back to the service. Just that comment about the lemon law indicates they can get away with anything. Thats why I want to make them look bad publicly - so this way when their business is hurt Maybe they will do something about this.
    Peter

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The consumer protection from New York State sent me forms to fill out the other day. I spent 2 hours filling out forms and documentation and sent it all out on 1/20/07. Again I don't know where it's going to go. I had already sent all the information to the local consumer protection in White Plains New York. Per their recommendation I esclated to New York State consumer protection.
    The other day I did 2 loads of laundry. In the 2nd rinse a few drops of water dribbled out of the bottom of the door. The 3rd rinse was no problem. I ran the machine through a short rinse and spin without clothes after that and their was no leak. I will be washing in a few more days and see what happens. I cannot call for the repair unless I see it leaking steady. I don't mean to be fanatic but I can't have this machine leaking at all. I live upstairs in a coop and could get sued. Plus this should not be happening it's 2 1/2 years old and don't get much use.
    This has been so mentally aggravating and draining that I am now considering just purging the machine and taking a lose if necessary. I will have to wait awhile to see what will happen next but I cannot take much more of this stress. And the biggest issue is I don't have the time to baby sit a washing machine. Thank you all for your support.
    Peter

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yesterday I received a letter back from the New York State Consumer Protection. Basically they indicated that they will be closing my case. They received a letter back from the supervisor at LG that I was working with back in December. To try to make a long story short this letter stated that I was out of warranty with LG. And to try to quote this letter it stated that they had did as much as they possibly could for me by giving me assistance in obtaining qualified repair service people. In the letter she apologized for the fact that sometimes technicians do not diagnose certain problems correctly and this could result in multiple service calls. Given this information that LG is no longer responsible the analyst at consumer protection was closing my case.

I called the consumer protection and spoke with the analyst and explained that I was told that if LG is not responsible than the warranty company (GE services) is responsible. She asked me to give her more information and I did. I was somewhat upset because I have mailed all the specs out to them.
    But I took the time and gave her the information and she stated she will check into this with the GE warranty service and get back to me. I still don't expect much from this but at least I am trying.
    Peter

• peteski50
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The current update:
    As from about the beginning of March 2007 I would notice a little bit of water under the front center of the machine, but it is not leaking from the door. I watched more carefully and notice around the time of spinning the machine would leak a few drops. This problem seems to be getting slightly worse. On April 4th I called GE Zurich for service again consumer relations 800-437-3783 and I spoke to 3 different people. In the end I spoke to Erin and she indicated to me that she would contact A&E for service. I explained to her the situation from the last few service calls and she stated it didnt matter. She gave me a reference # 024136716 and said to call them at 888-508-6641 if I didnt hear back from them in 24 hours. I was on this service call for almost one hour. On April 5th I of course didnt get a call so I called their A&E back. The attendant had no record of my call and she said she would contact GE Zurich and to hold but we got cut off. I called them back again and spoke to another attendant. She than stated that they do not even repair LG appliances. I just wasted 45 minutes with those 2 calls. I called GE Zurich again and went back to square one. They explained that they would find someone to contact me or I can do it on my own. I said lets go with my own A&E that fixed it the last time at least they know the appliance. GE Zurich gave me back a customer # 7296812 and authorized a repair up to $250.00. This call with trying to straighten out yesterdays call took about 50 minutes. I than called my local A&E and spoke to John same technician that replaced the boot seal. I explained the new problem and he indicated it is probably the pump. He will have to first come out and check it. Appointment scheduled for April 12th, 2007. I will have to pay up front again and have to fax GE Zurich to get reimbursement. He explained it is $75.00 to just check it out. If a new pump is needed he will need to order it. So now I wasted just 3 hours in phone calls and we are just getting started again.
    I can't impress on everyone Beware and stay away from LG products.
    Peter

• sevenfeet
    16 years ago

This thread has been an interesting read since I was looking at LG for a new washer/dryer combo for some time. But I found out that my local upscale appliance dealer who sells LG didn't want to sell me an LG washer/dryer. Actually, they would sell me one if I put a gun to their head.

Why? Apparently for the very reasons you mentioned. When LGs work, they work well. But when they break, getting resolution on them is tricky. What's worse is that as a dealer, LG is supposed to be TERRIBLE at dealer reimbusement for warranty repair. They said they got caught holding the bag on repairs so many times that they basically told the sales people to stop pushing LG products unless a customer insisted...and even then they should get an extended warranty from somebody. We've all seen how well that works from this story.

It's a shame too since few dealer make a washer with all the features I'm looking for (FL, sanitize, high capacity, lots of cycle options and stackable).

• looser
    16 years ago

How about posting some of your service issues on websites like epinions and wherever they sell the LG appliances online. There are not a lot of reviews out there. I always read as many as possible before I decide which appliance to get. Oh, sites like Myspace and Youtube might also work...

Just an idea because Peter wanted more people to know about his problems.

• wblynch
    16 years ago

But Peter, they have such bright, shiny, pretty colors...

ooohhh, the colors, the colors....

can't... resist... must... buy... LG...

---------------------------------

"So now I wasted just 3 hours in phone calls and we are just getting started again.

I can't impress on everyone Beware and stay away from LG products."

Peter

• peteski50
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I havent been on the site in several days. I want to sell the machine and just end all the grief. So it is now for sale.
    Peter

• peteski50
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I finally ended the saga and sold the machine. I don't know if I'm going to get anything at this point or even know what to buy now. With the ratings that consumer reports gives these units it almost pays to use the public laundries. I will check around and time will tell what I will do.
    Peter

• sr712
    16 years ago

Did you tell the person that bought it about this forum? It would be interesting to continue to follow the machine.

• peteski50
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes the person I sold it to knows the status of the machine. He is going to place it in a basement so a slight leak won't affect him.
    Peter

• carolyng808
    16 years ago

I've had problems similar to Peter and have in fact tried to work with some of the same "technicians" recommended by LG with exactly the same results so far. I also have a combination washer and dryer (WM3677HW) that I purchased 6 months ago. Almost 3 weeks ago it died. When I called LG, I was referred to A&E who came by the next day and then was never heard from again. We've called them and tried to follow up. In short, they didn't order the needed part until 2 weeks later and now almost 3 weeks later, still nothing. I've called multiple technicians after all the problems I've had with this first company and got the following responses: no response at all, they don't service our area, or say they'll call me back and never do.

The machine was great while it worked, but customer service is poor. Would I buy the machine again? NO! Not worth the headache, stress, inconvenience, etc.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

Carolyng808, sounds like your problem regarding service is with A & E....not LG. (?)
    Peteski50...take a look at this: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0513271614248.html?6
    Miele is considered to be the GOD of front loaders by more than a few on this site and look at what they have done!
    Would you consider buying from them?

• bafeuer
    16 years ago

We have almost decided on a LG Tromm both both units. We did do too much research becasue I've spent my past year everythug fromscrew to light switch covers during our renovation from hell. We've look at the EKenmore Elite line and the LG line, and some of the others, and we though for the options, cost and becasue of what we heard was a good trace record. PLease help--we need to make our deicision and decide early this week.
    Barbara

• peteski50
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barbara if you were smart you would stay away from LG. If you buy LG it could turn out to be worse than your renovation from hell. Best of Luck with whatever you decide.
    Peter

• wblynch
    16 years ago

Peteski50,

congratulations on reaching an end to your LG nightmare.

I hope others can learn from your sad experience.

• newjerseybt
    16 years ago

peteski50:

What a, nightmare!

I went with Maytag after reading this thread!

• rich1970
    16 years ago

I have to laugh as I'm readying this post (so I don't cry). I'm currently on my 6th repair for my model WM2277 in just over 2 years of ownership. Of course, everytime it breaks they can't get the parts in. I was just thinking about selling my machine and purchasing a new one.

• peteski50
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rich,
    Believe me I know what you are going through. It was easier for me to purge my machine and have nothing. A less hassel using the laundry room where I live. I just don't know what to buy at this point. But never LG again.
    Peter

• lolamina
    15 years ago

Can't speak on the washer/dryer combo...I have inclination to steer clear of 'combo' anything. But just purchased LG 7188 dryer (w/all latest bells and whistles) and I'm thrilled. Service, as for anything we purchase that we can't fix ourselves, is a concern...but if you take an up-front view of how often service has been needed on specific appliances...that greatly reduces it as a prominent decision factor.
    LG Clothes Dryers just received the 2007 J.D.Power and Assoc. HIGHEST RATING of ALL MAJOR BRAND clothes dryers! We searched for weeks, read hundreds of reviews, and really did our homework - LG hands down for best performance and best value. Also highly rated by all the 'subscription' consumer guides.

Before you listen to any one persons 'service experience' and apply it to the entire Brand...get Pro-Active and see how often service is REQUIRED for your MODEL. Best bet until combos (one machine to do it all!) are perfected, side-by-side and stackable models may well out-perform and require less service. Good Luck!

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

Yes, we've had the LG WM2688 washer & DLG8388 gas dryer for about 8 months now, and love 'em.
    Service people may be few and far between, but we haven't needed any yet.

LG service manuals

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

http://www.repairclinic.com/

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

sorry, hit the "Submit Message" button too soon.
    Some LG service manuals are included in other models.

DLG8388WM / DLE8377WM / DLE7177WM / DLG7188WM

• oregpsnow
    15 years ago

lolamina - do you work for LG? You have posted this response in at least 3 topics in this forum. When this happens it starts to look like you have ulterior motives.

Most of the members of this forum are independent thinkers and don't rely too much on often flawed reviews by CR and others. In many cases their tests are vague and/or inadequate. The service data for most of these machines is not adequate to make a long-term forecast. This forum can be a more reliable source for real-world data.

I am not anti-LG. I would have one except the HD installers would not install it in my space and I replaced it with a Duet Sport HT. Very happy with the machines and the money left in my bank account. Bells and whistles don't get the clothes clean but they may impress your friends.

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

I do not wish to take anything away from happy LG owners as that is what it is all about. When we were shopping, I too was interested in the LG units. A friend of mine is in the business so we discussed LG. The issue he had, along with appliance service owners, is that LG takes forever (sometimes thirty-days plus) to get parts to service techs. During the interim consumers start getting upset with the service techs, not LG, as they are without their appliance. Now, this would not be an issue if it were not for the fact I reside in Southern California, and parts usually ship into port here so we typically have access before most others do. My friend told me that many techs will not work on LG because of the lead time regarding parts; also, I verified this by actually seeking service techs. One would suspect that LG will eventually get to the point where their parts inventory is at a reasonable level. We opted for an appliance that has its own service techs partly for the reasons above.

My wife is an exec for a major tech corporation, and she tells me that they are constantly in litigation with LG regarding patent infringement. I wonder whether LG is under litigation regarding their diamond drum pattern as it is a derivative of another manufacturer's drum design?

• dadoes
    15 years ago

I was talking recently with a friend who is in the business. He made a remark that LG reverse-engineers everything ... which I took to mean that they're aggressive in attempting to copy other manufacturers' designs.

• peteski50
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was the person that started this posting a year and a half ago. In all this time to my understanding LG has not done much to improve their service. If you really get sales people against the wall they will admit that their service sux. One appliance dealer admitted to me that the only reason he carries that brand is because that is what people want.
    I paid good money for the unit I had, and to boot the I got clipped with a poor warranty.
    I do know people that have LG products and are very happy. In most cases if you don't need service their great. It's a different story if you need repairs. I will never forget the grief I went through and it's exactly a year since I got rid of the unit and have been doing laundry in the public laundry. I would like to buy another combo but nothing appeals to me. Either they are to small or their is problems with other foreign distrubitors.
    I would recommend anyone that wants to buy LG anything to check with a few local service dealers in your area. Than at that point you will know what to do. Sometimes the better things look the more trouble they will cause.
    My advice is their are better brands.
    Peter

• 729zoom
    11 years ago

I happened to find this thread searching for answers to my own LG problem.
    The old "get what you pay for" adage doesn't seem to apply to LG and I will NEVER buy another LG product again. (was considering their french door refrigerator - since like the washer, was also rated #1by Consumer Reports - with matching stoves and oven but not now!) I purchased the LG Tromm WM2688HWM washer with matching dryer and after only 5 years - 1 week after my extended warranty expired - the washer has gone out and LG refuses to help - considers the unit "too aged." Really!? AGED after just 5 years!? Considering both my cheap $300-400 washers were repair free for min of 10 and up to 20 years, I expected that paying nearly 4 times the money would get me something repair free for a long time. Instead, in just half the time, I am left with a costly repair (nearly as much as the cost of buying a less expensive machine when I called around for prices!) or needing to buy a new machine. And the other thing that really blows my mind is I live in Los Angeles (probably one of their biggest markets) and the closest service provider is over an hour away and part of the reason why a service call would be so expensive. LG's attitude didn't help. What ever happened to any of your cases? Anything good or helpful to share?

• whiteycat
    10 years ago

Wow! After reading this entire thread, I will now stop thinking about purchasing the compact LG front loader. That leaves me with just a few compact front loader options left. Time to research other brands at this point. Yikes!

Thanks to the original poster (Pete) for spending his valuable time explaining his nightmare in detail to help others! Sorry he had to go thru that mess!

• elizabeth_des_thons
    9 years ago

Wow, Peter, thank you so much for posting all of this. I really admire your persistence in continuing to push them and make all of these calls, and all the emails you wrote and the way you really laid out all the trouble it was causing you. Inspiring!

On the other hand, I just ordered the newest washer/dryer combo model!! It's the WM3997HWA. All I can do is hope that things have improved since you had this problem a few years ago... And I live in Manhattan, I would have thought that being in the biggest city in the country would mean plenty of technicians for this high-end brand, but you're in Westchester! Uh oh...