Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LG Service Nightmare.

Posted by peteski50 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 14, 06 at 2:07

Hi everyone I am going to attach a letter I just sent to the consumer affairs about my problems with my LG. Please remember I am not knocking LG products itself. I do feel they are quality products as long as they work and don't need service. But I will never buy LG again.
Please read over
Thank you,
Peter

Purchased LG front loader washer/dryer combo model WM3677HW over 2 years ago. After 10 months of use door developed a leak. The machine was still under warranty and obtained service through purchaser who is Leiberts Royal Green appliance in White Plains NY
914-949-5999. Sent out appliance repair Jimmy same day service. Not so much same day it took 9 days to come and do service. Problem was resolved at that time by machine being rebalanced and door being tightened. This past May 2006 the same problem reoccurred after 9 months with the door developing the same type of leak. This time I was under extended warranty through GE zurich service. When calling at that time it was explained to me that they had a problem locating a service provider so call went back to Jimmy same day service and from the start of original call until he came for repair was 2 weeks. He repaired by just tighten the door again. Worked fine for 4 months and now same problem developed with door leak. Machine broke on 9/24/06 I called LG customer service and received a consult # c06092426921 and given a list of 4 different services. They told me to contact GE warranty service and follow through with them. I called GE 9/25 they stated they would have to research who would do the servicing and they explained that Jimmy same day cannot be located anyway. I waited until 9/27 and called them back and they werent able to locate anyone but said I could use who LG recommended and I would have to pay for the service and they would reimburse
me. 3 out of 4 of the services LG recommended had different excuses. One said they didnt come to my area, the other doesnt do extended warranty work and the third couldnt be reached. In the meantime GE located a company called Millwood appliances in the Bronx NY I spoke to them and made a appointment for 9/28 to come and check problem. I called them that day at 1PM to confirm a 4PM appointment and the administrator explained the person who knew the LG products was called on a family emergency and would not be back for a few weeks. She had no one else to send out. I called the Leiberts Royal Green store and it was explained by the service coordinator Pamela Savage that she didnt have anyone else except Jimmy same day service to fix LG and he cannot be located. I explained my situation again for the second time and she said she would get back to me and she hasnt. I called her and left 3 messages since with no return call. My last resort was a corporation called Eastside appliance in Mount Vernon NY 914-699-5200 and they explained they fixed LG appliances. So I made a appointment for 10/06/06. I still contacted LG again about the poor level of finding service people and filed a complaint # v06092806831. I had a supervisor (Anderetta) who called me back on 9/30/06. She was pleasant and listened and I explained the poor service issues that I was unhappy about and being I was scheduled for 10/06/06 with Eastside she will authorize them to order a new door for the unit. And she explained that the part should arrive before than. (door ref # c06093057306) When I contacted Eastside on 10/2/06 they explained that parts were authorized but what parts werent listed. This took another day to straighten out. Parts were than ordered and of course they werent in for the 6th. So we set a new appointment for 10/13/06. I called Eastside again and parts still didnt arrive they stated it should be in by 10/16/06. We made another appointment for 10/19/06. Lets see if it happens. It is now 10/14/06 and I have no washing machine for 3 weeks. I have to say this is beyond poor service. I have never had such a horrible customer service experiences. As a consumer I spent good money on a product that is supposed to be high quality. In addition I should not have to be making all these calls. If LG is having these products being sold they should have enough technical support. Also if a part is being ordered it should be sent overnight. I was also informed LG doesnt allow what service distributors they have to stock any parts. How ridiculous is that? I am reaching out for help and I want everyone to know they should never buy a LG product. I will never again do so. This has been so distressing and the situation is far from over. Please help and give me some input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LG Service Nightmare.

This is precisely the reason I will not purchase Samsung or LG appliances. They lack a strong or non existant dealer/service/parts network, and in the end it's trouble, money, and inconvienence! It's unfortunate you dumped money into an extended service agreement which seems to be worthless.

o

I am sorry you've had such poor service. I had similar issues with my Amana washer and dryer a few years ago. I had a very hard time getting a service tech to come out on a warranty repair and, when I did, he couldn't fix the problem because he didn't have the right part. I couldn't get him back out to my home for another 3 weeks. I have an LG fridge that had the icemaker break 2 months after purchase. I called and had a tech come within 3 days. I don't know where he came, from but he was dressed in an LG uniform and driving a van that was labeled "LG In-home service" He took his time and replaced my icemaker (he had one with him) and then made adjustments in the water pressure in the water line to make sure the problem didn't happen again. I was really pleased with the service I got.

I heard lots of nightmare stories about poor LG service. I was talked out of buying a Siemens W/D set and a Samsung fridge by salesmen that warned that they didn't have adequate service to back up the sale. I guess it just depends on where in the country you are located. I'm in central NC.

o

I'm in central NC

Given that the Siemens is manufactured in North Carolina, it is hard to believe that service is a provblem in that part of the country! - DR

o

They sure are nice & helpful over the phone. Got someone instantly and he was smart. IDK - I got an extended warranty.

o

"Given that the Siemens is manufactured in North Carolina, it is hard to believe that service is a provblem in that part of the country!" - DR

If they don't have the technicians to fix the stuff, what difference does it make where it's manufactured? That was the reason I was given about the Siemens and Samsung service by the salesman. Not enough trained technicians.

o

Well service finally came out and brought the new door LG sent to them. The guy said he worked on a few I was not to confident that he really knew the products. He replaced the door both him and his helper tightened the door. He asked me to test it to add soap with no clothes. I put in some All HE even though I mostly use Tide HE. The machine had some real suds in it and no leak. After the first rinse I explained the delecate cycle uses more water. He said to pause and switch. We let it fill with more on delicate and even though the drum moved slowly it did splash a lot with no water leak. He told me if I had a further problem to call him. He explained LG is a very good product but the service is bad and his manager is planning on stopping the service because LG is cheap and difficult to deal with. After he left I did a load of laundry a normal wash with no leaking problem. I am going away on vacation. When I come back I will of course test the machine further. I also would like to start a campaign against LG. I feel if we can get as many people as possible to send them letters and make contact with them MAYBE they will listen and start to change things. My unit was down from Sept 24th until today Oct 19th almost a whole month and thats very unacceptable. Everyone please give your input and ideas as to what we should do as a team. The letter I sent to consumer affairs has not been responded to. I think if we all make LG look bad because of the service we MAY get somewhere.
Peter

o

Hi, I am so sorry to hear LG has service problems - I was going to buy the same LG mode next week and I now am back to square one as to what brand of compact w/D to buy.
Good luck and hope you have no more problems.

o

I have commented in this forum before stating the same thing. I do not care what you buy. Always make sure that what ever you buy is serviced buy a local company. Verify it! If it's not than buy something that is. All companies eventually have a problem. Service is what counts. It is better to buy from a small operater at a higher price if he services what he sells personally. He puts his reputation on the line in every transaction.

o

Posted by bassfisher (My Page) on Fri, Oct 20, 06 at 12:55

Hi, I am so sorry to hear LG has service problems - I was going to buy the same LG mode next week and I now am back to square one as to what brand of compact w/D to buy.
Good luck and hope you have no more problems.

Peteski50 has had service problems. I personally have not. I got very good service on my LG appliance. Before you cross the LG off your list I suggest you do a little research on what kind of service you can expect. Not all areas of the country are experiencing problems with service. It sounds like a fair share of his problems were with the local service distributors themselves. He is angry with good reason, however, I'm not sure that LG is entirely to blame. Several local service companies were involved and his long wait for service may be more their fault and less LG. I also read where he had to go through GE warranty service that added yet another middleman to the problem. Clearly, LG needs more support services in his area, but it's not a problem in mine and may not be a problem in yours. I don't know why his service distributors told him that they didn't stock parts. My service person had the part he needed on his truck and did the repair that day.

I am satisfied with my LG appliances (I have 3) and would buy from them again.

o
RE: LG Service Nightmare continues

I did get service finally and going to post my latest update with letter I sent to LG. Again I recommend everyone stay away from LG due to such poor service.

Purchased LG front loader washer/dryer combo model WM3677HW over 2 years ago. After 10 months of use door developed a leak. The machine was still under warranty and obtained service through purchaser who is Leiberts Royal Green appliance in White Plains NY
914-949-5999. Sent out appliance repair Jimmy same day service. Not so much same day it took 9 days to come and do service. Problem was resolved at that time by machine being rebalanced and door being tightened. This past May 2006 the same problem reoccurred after 9 months with the door developing the same type of leak. This time I was under extended warranty through GE zurich service. When calling at that time it was explained to me that they had a problem locating a service provider so call went back to Jimmy same day service and from the start of original call until he came for repair was 2 weeks. He repaired by just tighten the door again. Worked fine for 4 months and now same problem developed with door leak. Machine broke on 9/24/06 I called LG customer service and received a consult # c06092426921 and given a list of 4 different services. They told me to contact GE warranty service and follow through with them. I called GE 9/25 they stated they would have to research who would do the servicing and they explained that Jimmy same day cannot be located anyway. I waited until 9/27 and called them back and they werent able to locate anyone but said I could use who LG recommended and I would have to pay for the service and they would reimburse
me. 3 out of 4 of the services LG recommended had different excuses. One said they didnt come to my area, the other doesnt do extended warranty work and the third couldnt be reached. In the meantime GE located a company called Millwood appliances in the Bronx NY I spoke to them and made a appointment for 9/28 to come and check problem. I called them that day at 1PM to confirm a 4PM appointment and the administrator explained the person who knew the LG products was called on a family emergency and would not be back for a few weeks. She had no one else to send out. I called the Leiberts Royal Green store and it was explained by the service coordinator Pamela that she didnt have anyone else except Jimmy same day service to fix LG and he cannot be located. I explained my situation again for the second time and she said she would get back to me and she hasnt. I called her and left 3 messages since with no return call. My last resort was a corporation called Eastside appliance in Mount Vernon NY 914-699-5200 and they explained they fixed LG appliances. So I made a appointment for 10/06/06. I still contacted LG again about the poor level of finding service people and filed a complaint # v06092806831. I had a supervisor (Anderetta) who called me back on 9/30/06. She was pleasant and listened and I explained the poor service issues that I was unhappy about and being I was scheduled for 10/06/06 with Eastside she will authorize them to order a new door for the unit. And she explained that the part should arrive before than. (door ref # c06093057306) When I contacted Eastside on 10/2/06 they explained that parts were authorized but what parts werent listed. This took another day to straighten out. Parts were than ordered and of course they werent in for the 6th. So we set a new appointment for 10/13/06. I called Eastside again and parts still didnt arrive they stated it should be in by 10/16/06. We made another appointment for 10/19/06. Lets see if it happens. It is now 10/14/06 and I have no washing machine for 3 weeks. I have to say this is beyond poor service. I have never had such a horrible customer service experiences. As a consumer I spent good money on a product that is supposed to be high quality. In addition I should not have to be making all these calls. If LG is having these products being sold they should have enough technical support. Also if a part is being ordered it should be sent overnight. I was also informed LG doesnt allow what service distributors they have to stock any parts. How ridiculous is that? I am reaching out for help and I want everyone to know they should never buy a LG product. I will never again do so. This has been so distressing and the situation is far from over. Please help and give me some input.

UPDATE finally on October 19th Eastside service came to my residence and repaired my Washer / dryer combo by replacing the door. To add to all the dilemma the service guy from Eastside told me his manager informed him after my call they will no longer be servicing LG products because of one hassle after another with LG. He was not very explicit as to why but stated he will see me through and I am covered for 90 days by them. (What good does that do me after the fact). So far so good the unit is working not leaking but I do not do laundry often as I live alone and usually do about 6 to 8 loads of laundry per month. I really should not have any problems with this machine. The biggest factor here is I should not have to go through such a hassle to have a washing machine fixed. I should be able to make one call and get a knowledgeable service person to come to my home in a reasonable timeframe (not almost a month) and without going through such a hassle making so many calls and being told there is such a lack of service. Also I do appreciate the supervisor (Andretta) making the effort and ordering a new door for my unit, but this should have been shipped overnight. I had to wait 2 weeks after the order was placed, and in the meantime no service person had even looked at the unit until Eastside came out to do service on October 19th.
Please be aware I resent the fact I have to spend time pursuing these issues, all I am requesting is to have good reliable service when needed. From reading different forums on the internet the biggest complaint about LG is the service. As a consumer I am requesting to get the same service that Whirlpool, Maytag , Frigidire or GE would give.
For instance a few years back I used to own a Equator combo washer / dryer. I did have a problem with the unit and called a service center in 3 days a serviceman came to my home and he had to get a part and came back with the part in 2 more days. My unit was fixed in 5 days total. And Equator is even less popular than LG. When I saw the LG combo unit I was told it is even a more reliable larger unit and more sophisticated than the Equator. So I put down good money on something I cannot even get service for. What I am looking for in terms of compensation is for LG to step up to the plate and get reputable service in my area. I also want LG to know I already notified the consumer affairs about these issues and I plan on escalating this even further. Why should a consumer buy products that a company doesnt backup with reliable service. Even if you have great products its not worth anything without good service. So someone tell me why I should recommend LG?
Thank you
Peter Sternlieb

Now this LG's response
Dear Peter, Thank you for taking the time to send us this email. I certainly apologize to you for the frustration this has created for you. I can assure that LG is doing everything e can do to obtain service providers in all parts of the country. Regretfully, there are certain geographical areas where service providers as less then plentiful as is in you area. LG works continually signing up servicers and training the repairman. We have a division of the company called Field support who focuses on this every day but it is going to take time. Certainly Maytag and GE has been around for years and has had a service relationship developed with their service providers which is an LG Goal. We do appreciate your patience and you feedback. Your official complaint was saved into our system and sent to our field support division and I will also forward you email as another complaint. Again please accept our apology. Rick E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI

o

If they don't have the technicians to fix the stuff, what difference does it make where it's manufactured? That was the reason I was given about the Siemens and Samsung service by the salesman.

My point was that the odds are that the salesman was wrong. You can get a list of local service centers at the Bosch appliances website, by typing in your zip code. I don't know where you are, but I just tried it for Asheville, got several centers in a 30 mile radius. - DR

o

Hi Dross,
I justed did that by typing in my zip code on the LG website. It came up with 2 of them but both are in different states one in Connicut and one in New Jersey, and I live in New York. The one in New Jersey I had already delt with 2 1/2 years ago when I had the first machine. The service guy ended up screwing it up even more and the unit needed to be replaced. That was another big hassel. Problem is also service people are dropping them for various reasons also.
Peter

o

In my Sacramento area there were several places that serviced LG when I made purchase. Just as my warranty ended I had a problem. Each place I called had just stopped servicing LG, mom n pop places. The remaining place was really nice. Guy says that not a lot of places want to learn the new technology so they choose to not service. He did say that parts can take a while due to one distribution center in South but it is not that bad. LG did email me the service manual after I complained and service guy did offer some suggestions as to my problem. But now I have to call again, lets see what happens. DH keeps saying we should have stuck with the old brands. My last set lasted 10+ years with no problems, this dryer had problem after 2yrs.

o

Service center (and retailer) lists on manufacturer web sites aren't always kept up-to-date.

o

"My point was that the odds are that the salesman was wrong. You can get a list of local service centers at the Bosch appliances website, by typing in your zip code. I don't know where you are, but I just tried it for Asheville, got several centers in a 30 mile radius." - DR

I typed in my zipcode. The nearest service center was 60 miles away. That's too far away IMO, so I'd say the salesman was not wrong.

o

Unusual; salesmen are usually wrong:-) I'd still be surprised if there are more trained LG washing machine techs in your area (or any area!) than there are trained Bosch washing machine service techs. Bosch has been in the washing machine business in the US for much longer than LG. - DR

o

I love My LG front loader Washer & Dryer, had a heat sensor go out in it once, I replaced the part myself in 5 mins. My fault for not keeping the duct behind the dryer free of lint. Service was great for me. They even faxed me a full assembly diagram with all part numbers coordinating.
The one thing I love is you don't have to use expensive HE Detergents. I have had mine for 3 years now and works as good as the day I bought it.

o

The one thing I love is you don't have to use expensive HE Detergents.

Unless they are incorporating some kind of odd alien technology, the need for HE detergent in an LG frontloader will be neither less nor more than in any other frontloader. - DR

o
RE: LG Service Nightmare continues.

Well I am sorry to report that on 11/22/06 problem reoccured with the door leaking.
November 22, 2006
Washing Machine started to leak again from door just like before. This has happened after doing a total of 8 loads of laundry since the problem was supposed to have been fixed.
I first contacted Eastside Service 914-699-5200 and administrator stated she would have service man contact me.
I next contacted LG customer service 800-243-0000 and spoke to a James who put me on hold for 10 minutes. Than came back on line and stated that LG cannot do anything for me because I am no longer under their warranty. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he explained it would not help.
I next called the GE extended warranty service 800-626-2001 and she explained to wait until the service person from Eastside calls me back.
Now I submitted another letter to LG from their website on 11/24/06:
November 24th, 2006 Feedback to LG customer service via website.
I am reaching out for help - I want LG representatives to do this work. Leiberts Royal Green appliance in White Plains NY is absolutly no help they do not call me back. This is probably because they don't have anyone to send me that qualified for repair service. I have to await Eastside Appliance service to call me back but I am not confident they can fix the problem. As I stated above I should not have to do all this coordination and setup and get no where with the same problem reoccuring. Am I to wait another month to get this resolved and again get a temporary fix? I am not asking the impossible and I am requesting LG step up to the plate and get involved in this unfortunate situation. This is beyond the most uncomfortable stressful circumstances. Not to mention how much of a time consuming waste of time this is to myself. Also I have to pay additional funds for gas and the use of public laundries. LG may have the most inovative products but as far as I am concerned this is all false advertising with this (Life's Good) Nonsense. Life is far from being good with LG. I have done investigative research any your service is pitiful. Again please let me Emphasize it's not my place to do all this leg work. If something isn't done real soon to help my situation much higher authorities will be made aware and take my word for it LG will get real bad publicity. I am hoping that I will get positive feedback from people in your Organization willing to help me through this. I am tired of hearing someone say they are doing everything they can. I want to hear that something Will Be done. After all if you cannot provide the service you should not have sales done in my area. I will appreciate positive prompt replies.
Thank you,
Peter Sternlieb

o

Sorry about your misfortune. You too have learned the hard way. LG ranks high in popularity with style, but when there is no service and support after the sale your in trouble. The problem with Korean appliances and entrants into U.S. appliance market, there products change and change frequently and there is no guarantee parts much let alone service will be even available 5 years down the road. It's there achilles heel in an otherwise brilliant marketing strategy. Perhaps the reccommedation should be to shop for service and parts availabilty, then shop those brands that can clearly provide it!

o

The saga continues. I finally just spoke to the repair person who put in the new door from Eastside service. I explained that the problem reoccured only after doing 8 loads of laundry - he explained that he felt it wasn't a problem with the door that it was probably the boot. He was not going to order it but said he wants to check it out first. He cannot come out until next Tuesday 12/05/06. Appointment made not to say if parts will be ordered how long this is going to go on - I also spoke to GE service center informing them about the issue. They said they will authorize another service call. They also said LG is very difficult to deal with. No light at the end of the tunnel.

Also I got a reply from LG:
Dear Peter, I apologize that my response was not good enough. I have consulted with a supervisor in our call center who is going to give you a call to move forward to resolution. Rick E-mail Administrator Customer Interactive Center LGEAI

I am sure this will be more BS what good could they possibly do at this point.
Peter

o

A positive turned negative!
Today at 3:00PM I had a voice message on my phone from a A&E repair (Patricia) stating someone would come out later today or tomorrow to fix the machine. I phoned them back and was told LG contacted them. She said LG said I would pay for labor and they would pay for parts! I said WHAT and explained I am under contract with GE warrenty service. She said she would call me back. Next I got a call from LG (Lauren) a supervisor. She was pleasant and said she realized the problems. I had told her I had a appoitment with Eastside service for 12/5/06. First she said A&E would come faster and stated they knew what they are doing. Than when she realized I was past the first year of warrenty she stated than we have to go with Eastside. Perfect example of the left foot not knowing what the right foot is doing. I told her I was so unhappy with the service and lack of knowledge of service people and I am tired of making all of these calls. She stated she would do the leg work and call A&E to cancel the call and contact Eastside service and have a qualified tech from LG contact Eastside service so they would be ready to do the service on 12/05/06 and know what they are doing. (we will see)She gave me her email and said to contact her if any problem. I explained I still feel I should get a better warrenty from LG but she explained she cannot do anything about that. So now it's back to square one. I cannot help it but I feel negative and I do not have any other choice for now.
Peter

o

On 12/01/06 I received a call back from consumer protection in White Plains NY. I explained the situation and was told that LG or the store where I purchased the unit is really out of the picture and my issues will have to be taken up with the warrenty company (GE). He told me after a certain amount of fixes with repeat problems they would be responsible to replace the machine. I explained I expected service to come out 12/5/06. He sent me a form to fill out and I will do so after I get the service done to see what would happen next. I still cannot help but think this is going to go on forever.
Peter

o

Well today was a day in 2 fold and I am still have to wait to see what is going to happen:
Well this morning Tech from Eastside service who repaired unit last time called and said he spoke to a LG tech and was determined that the door seal boot would need to be replaced. He said to call LG to have the part ordered. I definatly do not want to pay for it. I will attach email I just sent out to the LG supervisor: (This just never ends)

Please Help Re case # c06112832363
Hi Lauren,
As per our conversation on 11/29/06 a service tech from LG was to contact my service person Dave from Eastside Appliance service about issues with my washer / dryer combo. They did have a conversation and your tech indicated that the door seal boot would need to be replaced. My service person Dave called me back and explained that the part would need to be ordered from LG but I would have to work out the details of having the part ordered and he also indicated that it would be in the case records of what exactly would be needed. I just wanted to make sure that I will not have to pay any costs. I just was able to obtain information from GE factory service that they would authorize up to $350.00 for this call. Dave from Eastside stated this is a big job and would probably take at least 3 hours to do this repair and for labor alone it would cost at least $250.00.
Please let me know what has to be done next as I am in the same delema making calls all over the place. I tried to call you earlier this morning but they said at LG voice mail was not working. As for the GE extended warranty service the number is 800-437-3783 which is consumer relations my case is # 7077862.
For the record the model number of the unit WM3677HW SN # 405KW0087
Thank you for your assistance.
Peter Sternlieb

Lauren Mellies (LG supervisor) called me back a short time later and explained she had spoke to Dave from Eastside and basically he doesnt want to fix the unit. She explained she assigned it back to A&E appliances and they will fix it. She said the part was ordered (a new boot) and it will not take 3 hours to install and the boot is only about $30.00. I than called GE warranty service and said it is no problem working with A&E. They increased the total amount to $350.00 for the service call. They also gave me a call number for having A&E submit payment directly to them. I than called A&E spoke to Pat she said as soon as the part comes in she will contact me. I set up a tentative appointment for Monday 12/11/06. She indicated she would have to check on the call number and get back to me. Well all I can do now is wait and see what happens. Also Lauren from LG said there should be no problem using A&E service if I need additional calls in the future.
I hope that is correct. So hear I go again almost another week awaiting.
Peter

o

Man you have the patience of a saint!

If all this happened to me they would find that machine out in the gutter and I'd be shopping for a different brand altogether.

Thanks for relaying this unfortunate saga.

o

Hi Wblynch
Actually I don't have much patience for this BS. And if I only spent a few hundred on it it would be in the gutter and they wouldn't care. I spent about $1800.00 with tax and all. I really don't have much of a choice to wait and see what happens. I do appreciate your comments and support.
Peter

o

It's so unbelieveable how it never ends! 12/09/06
Yesturday Friday I spoke to a Cory at A&E service. He now explained that the part didn't come in. He indicated he is trying to get in touch with LG to see what the problem is? And when I spoke to the supervisor Lauren Mellies earlier this week she told me it should only take 2 days for a part to be delivered. (some 2 days) Cory also stated that as far as getting paid I may need to pay them directly and get reimbursed from the GE service contract even though GE authorized A&E to submit payment to them directly. I just don't understand and I totatly give up. When I explained to Cory the situation of how Disgusted I was he stated that I should have used them for service in the first place and the problem would have been fixed correctly the first time. I told him I wanted to but it was between his management and LG that stated that they don't do repairs after the first year warranty runs out. Again caught in the middle of a Big barage of BS. I am at work now and am sure the part will not arrive for Monday service. Again another appoitment put off. If LG really cared they would have shipped the parts over night. I just don't know where to turn anymore. I wish I could have the machine removed and get my money back but I know that isn't possible. Never would I have ever thought a appliance could cause so much grief. It also involves me spending valuable time making calls and going through all kind of hassels to get no place. I appreciate everyone listening and being supportive. And I would not only think twice but several times before anyone purchases from LG.

I than sent a email to Lauren the supervisor again:
Please Help Re case # c06112832363
Hi Lauren,
Please Help A&E left me voice mail this morning Saturday 12/9/06 that the parts have not arrived to do my repair for Monday 12/11/06 service call. Cory is the person that left me the message - can you please check into this as again I am Severely inconvenienced and now it is almost 3 weeks that I am without my unit in just this instance. Again I will need to reschedule and have to change my own personal appoitments around that I have already done numerous times to be home to get service on this unit. And to always go back to the same circumsatnces after the fact.
Again the model number of the unit WM3677HW SN # 405KW0087
I can be reached at 914-961-1547.
Thank you I appreciate your assistance.
12/10/06 Reply from Lauren:
Mr. Sternlieb,
I checked on the status of the part which shipped from our warehouse on 12/7. The part was shipped DHL second-day air. According to the DHL tracking # 10974131991, the scheduled delivery date is 12/11. I apologize for the inconvenience this causes you. I hope A & E can resolve this as quickly as possible after receiving the part. Thank you for your patience.
Fast Action! Best Service!
Lauren Mellies
Supervisor
Customer Interactive Center
LG Electronics

Well I at least I got a laugh when I read this part

12/11/06 I replied to her:
Hi Lauren,
I cannot help but feel very frustrated. Last week I had made the appointment with A&E giving enough time so we arranged for service to come out Monday 12/11/06. A&E agreed this would be more than enough time for the part to arrive. I had made plans to put time aside for this service. What upsets me the most it is not just this time that I lost the appointment but 3 other times when I was dealing with the Eastside service I had made appointments for them to come out and they needed to cancel because they were awaiting for parts to be sent from LG. (at that time it was the door they were waiting to replace). And worst of all after all of that waiting the problem was not resolved. You cannot believe what a hassle this has been making all these appointments and constantly changing personal plans around between job, family and other personal obligations. Believe me this has been like having a second job. Also A&E indicated to me that I would have to pay up front for this service than I need to get reimbursed on my own from GE warranty services. Of course I agreed to this just to get my unit fixed but I think this is very unfair. I again have to call GE services to verify this is ok. Also later this week I will not be available to receive the service. I spoke to Cory from A&E and he explained when the part arrives he will contact me, so we setup another tentative appointment for Monday 12/18/06. I could possibly have the service Tuesday the 12th or Wednedsay the 13th but I cannot sit home all day Monday to see if the part does arrive and if they can do the service on those days. So at this point it looks like I will loose another week before my washer gets fixed. I am sure you personally are doing your best to help me resolve my problem, however I hope you are indicating these types of issues to your higher management. I do not mean to be abrupt and I understand your position But no consumer should have to live with this type of service.
Thank you for your assistance

12/12/06: After I sent that last letter their was absolutly no further reply. At least before this last chain of events the supervisor from LG called me or emailed me. I guess their is nothing further to be said. When a situation is this bad they almost don't know what to say. Even if they wanted to BS me they couldn't even if they tried. And at this point the parts will probably not be in for next week at this rate anyway. I do want to thank everyone that has given me positive support and even though I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel it is good to know I have other club members supporting me.
Best Wishes to all
Peter

o

Michael Ahn
President and CEO, LG Electronics North American Division
U.S.A. Corporate Headquarters
1000 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Include copies of all correspondence with this Mellies person (or a copy of this thread), and cc to Consumer Reports. BTW, you might want to email the gardenweb tech people and ask if you can have your phone number deleted from the thread. - DR

o

Dross - Thanks very much - after the supposed service for 12/18/06 I plan on sending to my local consumer protection and I will do the same for this LG CEO. I will do this fixed or not - their is just no excuse for this BS
Peter

o

This is so unfortunate and aggravating.
LG makes such promising products, and when they work, folks seem to be more than satisfied. The service issue is such a devastating chink in their armor. If they cannot build their service and parts as fast as they are sending in their products, they will be known as a second-rate avoidable manufacturer before long.

Don't forget that although Consumer Reports raved about the products (and we all know how many people will follow their recommendations), LG lacked enough feedback to rate their product reliability. If something does not change quickly, the negative experiences will become apparent.

I am not bashing LG and really like what I see. It is a shame that I may have to rethink my choices or forge ahead with caveats.

Good luck,
Rob

o

JD Powers recently rated the LG best for "satisfaction with length and scope of the warranty". Note no mention of how well they actually respond to warranty issues! At least Peter got as far as a ghost of an offer of repair; most of the LG service stories on this forum involve the owner being told that the problem isn't covered. - DR

o

I just had the machine fixed a short time ago or I hope it is. What a job to replace the boot. From a suggestion from another club member that sent me information from California their tech suggested that a washer be replaced behind the door latch as well. The repair tech did that and said that it was a good idea. When he first put the boot on we tested it and water was leaking from under the machine. He said he had to re do the job because the spring fell off from the back. I proceeded to help him put the boot back on and I actually sliced my finger on the side of the machine. (bad news) This was really a 2 person job. He finally got the new boot back on and put the machine back together. We retested and all seems to be resolved. I ran a normal wash cycle without clothes and all tested ok no leaks. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Later today I sucessfully did a full load of laundry with no leakage problem.
I than sent a letter to the supervisor from LG:
Hi Lauren,
I wanted to let you know I just had my combo washer / dryer fixed a few hours ago. It was a very big job for the serviceman replacing the boot. I was pleased with A&E the service guy seemed to know more about the machine than the person from Eastside or Jimmys same day service. I just hope the problem will stay fixed. I am actually running a load of laundry as I am doing this email. So far so good. I probably will not know for a good few weeks if it is really fixed as I am not constantly running laundry.
Also a friend of mine had sent me a suggestion from a LG tech from California suggesting that a washer be put behind the door latch to make the door seal tighter when it closes. I gave the suggestion to the tech from A&E. He did this in addition to replacing the boot. You may want to add this information to the fix it data base.
I also want to let you know I appreciate your persistence, patience and help in this situation. I in no way have any issues with you however my experiences with LG and getting service have been so poor. I am not going to go into this again as I am sure you have all this on file. I am requesting you bring these issues to your higher up's.
Issues at hand:
Not enough service tech's knowing the product
Next service people in general do not have enough knowledge of products
Also services told me they do not want to deal with LG because they are difficult to deal with.
Also complaints including LG doesn't let services stock parts. Example I waited 10 days just this time for part to arrive. At least if LG will not allow services to stock parts the parts should be shipped overnight. This 2 day shipment turned into 10 days.
The same thing happened the last time when the door was shipped. Both times I spent nearly a month without a machine.
I will not go further at this time with the many other hassles this caused me I believe I already gave you that information.
I appreciate you escalating this to your superiors.
Thank you for your assistance
Peter Sternlieb

o
Continued

I am not finished:
I prepared a letter with all the documentation to send to the local consumer protection in my area.
Also per above suggestion from Dross above I prepared a letter to Michael Aln the CEO from LG that I plan on sending out tomorrow:
Dear Mr. Ahn,
Please include anyone else this may concern. I want to let you know just how Unhappy I am with the fact I purchased from LG. I bought a washer dryer unit over 2 years ago and I will say the product is of high quality, however the service and the ability to obtain service is beyond being poor. I am attaching a copy of the chain of events that has occurred for me in the past 3 months. Plus the 2 bills I needed to pay up front to get service and await for reimbursement. Trying to get my washing machine repaired has been a second job for me. If you will read through the attached details you will see what mental anguish this has caused myself and not even to discuss the time taken from my personal life to resolve what should have been a simple issue.
I want the public to know just what they are going to be in store for if they purchase a LG appliance and need repair. I am in the process of starting with the consumer protection and I will continue to move up the ladder until everyone knows how horrible it is to obtain service for a LG product.
I was last dealing with a MS Lauren Mellies a LG supervisor who was as most corporative as possible and did as much as she could to help me. But under the circumstances with lack of technical support and poor servicing procedures I suffered immensely. Please read over my attached documentation.
Thank you,
Peter Sternlieb

o

You probably don't mean "corporative", which I was surprised to find is indeed a real word, but not a synonym for "helpful". Good luck! - DR

o

I went to the post office and sent out information to my local consumer protection and I sent the information to the LG CEO Michael Aln (regristeres reciept) - I don't expect to much to happen. I also just recieved a letter from supervisor Lauren and I am sure it won't go anywhere.

Dear Mr. Sternlieb,
Thank you for the e-mail, I am happy to know that the unit is operating properly at this point. I did speak to A & E yesterday and they informed me the tech was scheduled to repair the unit. I did also escalate the issues you mentioned to upper management for review and consideration. We always appreciate feedback so we can work to make service better for our customers. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanks again,
Lauren Mellies
Supervisor
Customer Interactive Center
LG Electronics
(P) 800.243.0000 x 4994
(F) 256.542.5762

Well at least this part gives me a laugh
Fast Action! Best Service! Lol Lol

o

Sorry to hear about all of your trials with LG, Peter. I had a set by LG, but the machine was to have a "warped drum" right from the start. They bought me a new washer, but that one had the door on the opposite direction, making it difficult to open. I returned the set and purchased a set by Bosch. I didn't like them as well due to the size of the dryer and the washer danced across my floor, despite everything we tried. Gave that set back to the store and purchased my Oasis set by Sears.
If you see my question here a few days ago about the Oasis touch pad panels, you will see that now I am going through the same hassles that you are going through with Sears that you are with LG. Sears however, has said, "parts are on back-order until Jan. 5, 2007...too bad so sorry"
Meanwhile, not only did my dryer constantly "beep" while it was in the drying cycle, it has decided to only allow me to turn it on one half of the time.
I think it really doesn't matter what brand you by, if you can get the parts, then it will come down to service after the sale, and that might be a problem for us all with the new technology and not enough education for the repairmen who are over worked and have no time for updated learning.
Airfresh

o

Is there ANYONE who stands behind thier products and provides real service today?

o

This saga has convinced me to stick with my 10 year old Amana W&D which work fine and have needed next to no servicing EVER. I will move it upstairs to our new 2nd floor laundry and appreciate their simple white functionality. I also have always worried about the front load washers' potential for leaking. That was basically the whole problem Peter has been experiencing.
However I am now worried about potential problems for the LG counter depth french door fridge that I overpaid for just to get counter depth.....

o

Warranty service is EVERY manufacturers nightmare. It equates to a downright loss for them. Although, I have never heard of the consumer paying out of pocket the authorized service dealer, then being reimbursed by the company! It sounds like a very poor service network arrangement. No doubt LG's service arrangements have a lot to be desired as do alot of other appliance imports. Sometimes price and style shouldn't be the deciding factor when making a purchase. Service and parts availability is absolutely everything!

o

Yesturday I got a letter in the mail from the local consumer protection. Stated:
Westchester County Consumer Protection: stated
RE: LG 201 James Record Road Huntsville AL 35824
To Peter Sternlieb
Your complaint against the above named firm has been received by this department and assigned to Inspector Tony Venturino for review and investigation.

Also being I had sent the LG CEO (Michael Ahn) the same information and that was sent return receipt. I did get the reciept back 4 days ago but herd nothing.

I don't expect to get any special results but at least I tried.
Peter

o

Peter,
I can certainly sympathize with you. My nightmare was a refrigerator that caught on fire. I called LG the morning after the fire, and they had a technician from a local appliance repair company at my home within hours. The technician declared the refrigerator a total loss, called LG himself, and assured me that someone would be calling me from LG the next day to get everything squared away with not only the loss of the refrigerator but of the food I had lost. Sounded good to me.

Then the problem started. No one called. I had to repeatedly call LG myself just to get someone to talk to me. Then, after being passed back and forth to several departments, I was asked to fax a copy of my original receipt to LG. The fax number I was given did not work. Several phone calls later, and much time spent on hold, I had yet another fax number that did not work. This time, I tried to reach the woman I had been dealing with, only to be told she was not available and no one else could help me. After about three weeks of the phone tag game, I was very frustrated, so I went to H.H. Gregg, where I had made my fateful purchase. They were able to contact their LG field representative who was driving at the moment, but promised to call me as soon as he was off the road for the day. He didn't call, but I was able to contact him myself a couple days later so I could get a mailing address for LG. The receipt was mailed to LG via certified mail. Then I had to wait for the buy-back unit to agree to buy back the ruined refrigerator. To make a long story short, I got a check from LG four months after the fire, but the amount did not include any money for food (they wouldn't pay without grocery receipts, like anyone keeps those!) or any consideration for the amount I had paid for a now completely useless extended warranty. I truly believe they were hoping I would just get fed up and go away.

All I can say is life was definitely not good while I was dealing with that company! And I'll never buy another of their products again. I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer now, and some of the LG's are impressive, but I'm just not willing to fight the company if something goes wrong again.

o

Hi Lynette,
I feel for you but am not surprised. As you can see I refered this to my local consumer protection. I don't think much could be done in my case or yours. What I want to do most of all is find a way to go public with these issues and make them look so bad. I want the hole world to know before they purchase from LG that they will get terrible service if they need it. And like you the most agravating part is not the broken unit but calling all over and spending endless time getting no where. And being made a fool of like what they told you with the grocery reciepts. I feel like I have a second job. I definatly want to persue making LG look bad because of these issues. I supposed you bought another brand refrigator. Keep me posted.
Peter

o

I was looking at a black french-door bottom freezer from LG (in black and with water/ice maker). I will be staying away from LG. I guess the Maytag is my only choice in the sub $2500 range.

o

Peter,
I did indeed buy another brand of refrigerator. While I realize what happened could have happened with any brand of appliance, I just couldn't put my family's safety in the hands of LG again. As it was, I barely slept for several weeks. Sounds silly, I guess, but I just couldn't rest, and felt the need to be on guard.
At least my problem was resolved in four months, which is a lot better than your situation. Of course, those four months were spent with a refrigerator sitting on the deck, waiting for LG's buy back unit to come pick it up. They finally came, just before I got the check.
I agree that people need to be made aware of how the LG corporation treats consumers. I was happy with the refrigerator until the fire, and was extremely pleased with the local repairman's response, but that's where my satisfaction ended. You and I and countless other consumers are the ones who ultimately keep the lights on at LG, and we deserve to be treated in a fair, compassinate manner.
Lynnette

o

Lynnette,
It doesn't sound silly. Even though my machine is operational now or seems operational I am not comfortable doing laundry. After so much negativity it is hard to think positive about something. After all the things I have been hearing about LG service I believe they are not going to do anything to really fix the problems. So I am waiting for the right place to put all this information so at least it will be made very public. When people stop purchasing LG than they will get the message. That will give me satisification.
Peter

o

"Is there ANYONE who stands behind thier products and provides real service today?"

Hewlett Packard!!

o

......and Zippo lighters.

o

On Friday 1/5/07 I spoke to Tony Venturino from the local consumer protection. He explained that not to much could be done he has no other records about complaints from LG. He did tell me that he would check into getting some money back from the service contract for me. I did explain that the warrenty company did reimburse me. I said my biggest goal is to make LG look bad because of the service issues. He again explained he is trying to get in touch with LG but it is really the warrenty GE service that is responsible. He explained that I may also want to persue this with New York State consumer protection. I may contact them later this week. It's just like a no win situation. It is no wonder these big companies get away with this stuff. If only I could post all this where a lot of people read than LG would look bad and people will think twice before purchasing.

BTW I did 2 loads of laundry successfully yesterday without a leak. (I still don't feel comfortable and probably never will.)
Wouldn't most people feel the same way.

Peter

o

My LG washer begin to stop during a wash cycle and display the motor overload symbol. I read a few reviews here that suggested unplugging the unit for awhile. This method worked, but I paid too much for this washer & dryer to be inconvienced when doing laundry. And the problem got progessively worse so that I could not finish some loads. On the first trip, the technician told me that I needed to use he detergent which I was already using, but I did admit to using regular detergent a few times in the past. He said this was enough to overload the motor and suggested a product called wash out or something to that effect. I used vinegar instead (couldn't find the product) I begin having the same problem again and he came and sold me a very strong product to clean out the machine. I did this and continued to have problems. When I called again, he suggested that I call LG myself as he didn't know what to do. I politely told the girl that the lemon law states that after so many failed repair attempts that I should receive a new washer. She told me "we don't have the lemon law". I laughed and said I bet you don't but our state law does and if you sell products in out state you need to abide by the law! Anyway, my extended warranty was through Best Buy and not LG so I would have to get the machine fixed through them. The technician then came and changed the motor on which he noted there was no "gunk" so the theory that too much detergent was used was not applicable. I didn't have problems for about a week and then the code would reappear. The next time the technician came he changed the circuit board and I have not had any problems since. (Its been at least 2 months) I really like my LG washer and was contemplating gettting LG appliances for my kitchen. Yesterday, I was leaving Best Buy and observed an LG washer just like mine being wheeled into the store by 2 employees. Did someone not finishing paying for their machine or were they returning it? (It was obviously used.) I'll be a little nervous when my extended warranty runs out in a few years. I think I'll hold off on the kitchen appliances.

o

Hi Peter,

I am currently in the process of remodeling my kitchen and laundry room. Due to reports of poor and unresponsive service from LG on this forum and the kitchen forum, I have made a deliberate choice to avoid all of their products. I really like the look and function of their washers and dryers. However, with a family of six to keep fed and clean, I am not willing to gamble with the quality of the product and the LG service issues. I would have purchased their top of the line machines, but will not due to these issues.Perhaps the CEO needs to understand that word of the poor service is out in the marketplace, and is beginning to effect the sale of their products. Sue

o

Hi Peter,

I'm the one who wrote in another thread about my LG washer headache -- the problem of the pump breaking apparently because of too much lint. Well, the service person came to change out the pump today and I was ready with my camera. They found a ball of lint in the pump that was less than an inch in diameter. The hose that pumps out water through the lint filter is around 3/8" wide so, after sending the pictures, it was determined to be my fault and I get to pay for the repair.

At this point I have a problem not only with LG but with a front-loading washer that can't handle a load of laundry that produces lint that when all rolled up is less than an inch wide. The LG manager tells me that all front-loaders are like this. Plus, even though the washer takes much less water, it takes 2-3 times the time to wash a load so that's using up a whole lot more electricity. Our water bill at this house averages $15, our electricity bill $400. What an idiotic purchase this front loading washer was!

Helen

o

Hi Helen - it was not idiotic to purchase a front load washer. They do wash better and use a lot less water and soap than a top loader. The LG does take longer and of cource all the garbage that the LG manager told you I can understand how you feel. I personally recommend other brand FL washers to people keep me posted

Sue - you made a wise decission not to purchase LG even though the products seem to be made well, if you can't get decent service what good is it than.

Amberkat yes LG will try to get away with anything. Keep us posted with your progress.

Thanks All
Peter

o

>>Perhaps the CEO (of LG Corp) needs to understand that word of the poor service is out in the marketplace, and is beginning to effect the sale of their products.<<

Well, they'll probably just do what they did the last time their products got a lousy rep in the US. Change their name, glitz up the front appearances, and sucker people all over again.

Fool me once (with Lucky Goldstar), shame on you. Fool me twice (now LG), shame on.....

o

Today I spoke to the FTC Federal Trade Commission and they stated that not to much could be done about my situation alone. They would need to have several complaints before they would look into these issues. The only thing I could encourage is if others have had problems with LG to call the FTC at
877-382-4357 and file a complaint and if a lot of complaints add up they may check into it.
I encourage everyone with a complaint to call and if enough add up something could be done.

Also yesterday my local consumer protection contacted me and said they tried to get my warranty updated from GE services but they were unable to do so. They also told the consumer rep that they would fulfill my warranty but will no longer be picking up newer LG contracts.
I will keep trying but not to much more can be done.

Peter

o

The LG manager tells me that all front-loaders are like this.

Of course he did. He's lying.

Plus, even though the washer takes much less water, it takes 2-3 times the time to wash a load so that's using up a whole lot more electricity.

No it isn't. Adding time to a wash is only a marginal increase in electricity (the power used to spin the tub is negligible, even if heavily laden), the main use of electricity is in the heating of water, which only takes place during one part of the wash cycle (if your machine has a heater). - DR

o

Actually, they did get my washer fixed and I am satisfied. I guess if I couldn't have used the washer at all while waiting for them to figure out what was wrong I would have been more upset. I have no complaints with the service repair company that came out to fix the machine. They simply followed LG's recommendations for repair. I wanted to laugh when the girl with LG said they "don't have the lemon law". That was pure ignorance on her part. I really do like this washer, I just hope that I don't have problems with it after the extended warranty runs out.

o

Hi Amberkat,
I hope you do not have any more problems either. Believe it or not I do like my machine. But after all the grief and several times I don't even enjoy using it any more. Their products are good. But it comes back to the service. Just that comment about the lemon law indicates they can get away with anything. Thats why I want to make them look bad publicly - so this way when their business is hurt Maybe they will do something about this.
Peter

o

The consumer protection from New York State sent me forms to fill out the other day. I spent 2 hours filling out forms and documentation and sent it all out on 1/20/07. Again I don't know where it's going to go. I had already sent all the information to the local consumer protection in White Plains New York. Per their recommendation I esclated to New York State consumer protection.
The other day I did 2 loads of laundry. In the 2nd rinse a few drops of water dribbled out of the bottom of the door. The 3rd rinse was no problem. I ran the machine through a short rinse and spin without clothes after that and their was no leak. I will be washing in a few more days and see what happens. I cannot call for the repair unless I see it leaking steady. I don't mean to be fanatic but I can't have this machine leaking at all. I live upstairs in a coop and could get sued. Plus this should not be happening it's 2 1/2 years old and don't get much use.
This has been so mentally aggravating and draining that I am now considering just purging the machine and taking a lose if necessary. I will have to wait awhile to see what will happen next but I cannot take much more of this stress. And the biggest issue is I don't have the time to baby sit a washing machine. Thank you all for your support.
Peter

o

Yesterday I received a letter back from the New York State Consumer Protection. Basically they indicated that they will be closing my case. They received a letter back from the supervisor at LG that I was working with back in December. To try to make a long story short this letter stated that I was out of warranty with LG. And to try to quote this letter it stated that they had did as much as they possibly could for me by giving me assistance in obtaining qualified repair service people. In the letter she apologized for the fact that sometimes technicians do not diagnose certain problems correctly and this could result in multiple service calls. Given this information that LG is no longer responsible the analyst at consumer protection was closing my case.

I called the consumer protection and spoke with the analyst and explained that I was told that if LG is not responsible than the warranty company (GE services) is responsible. She asked me to give her more information and I did. I was somewhat upset because I have mailed all the specs out to them.
But I took the time and gave her the information and she stated she will check into this with the GE warranty service and get back to me. I still don't expect much from this but at least I am trying.
Peter

o

The current update:
As from about the beginning of March 2007 I would notice a little bit of water under the front center of the machine, but it is not leaking from the door. I watched more carefully and notice around the time of spinning the machine would leak a few drops. This problem seems to be getting slightly worse. On April 4th I called GE Zurich for service again consumer relations 800-437-3783 and I spoke to 3 different people. In the end I spoke to Erin and she indicated to me that she would contact A&E for service. I explained to her the situation from the last few service calls and she stated it didnt matter. She gave me a reference # 024136716 and said to call them at 888-508-6641 if I didnt hear back from them in 24 hours. I was on this service call for almost one hour. On April 5th I of course didnt get a call so I called their A&E back. The attendant had no record of my call and she said she would contact GE Zurich and to hold but we got cut off. I called them back again and spoke to another attendant. She than stated that they do not even repair LG appliances. I just wasted 45 minutes with those 2 calls. I called GE Zurich again and went back to square one. They explained that they would find someone to contact me or I can do it on my own. I said lets go with my own A&E that fixed it the last time at least they know the appliance. GE Zurich gave me back a customer # 7296812 and authorized a repair up to $250.00. This call with trying to straighten out yesterdays call took about 50 minutes. I than called my local A&E and spoke to John same technician that replaced the boot seal. I explained the new problem and he indicated it is probably the pump. He will have to first come out and check it. Appointment scheduled for April 12th, 2007. I will have to pay up front again and have to fax GE Zurich to get reimbursement. He explained it is $75.00 to just check it out. If a new pump is needed he will need to order it. So now I wasted just 3 hours in phone calls and we are just getting started again.
I can't impress on everyone Beware and stay away from LG products.
Peter

o

This thread has been an interesting read since I was looking at LG for a new washer/dryer combo for some time. But I found out that my local upscale appliance dealer who sells LG didn't want to sell me an LG washer/dryer. Actually, they would sell me one if I put a gun to their head.

Why? Apparently for the very reasons you mentioned. When LGs work, they work well. But when they break, getting resolution on them is tricky. What's worse is that as a dealer, LG is supposed to be TERRIBLE at dealer reimbusement for warranty repair. They said they got caught holding the bag on repairs so many times that they basically told the sales people to stop pushing LG products unless a customer insisted...and even then they should get an extended warranty from somebody. We've all seen how well that works from this story.

It's a shame too since few dealer make a washer with all the features I'm looking for (FL, sanitize, high capacity, lots of cycle options and stackable).

o

How about posting some of your service issues on websites like epinions and wherever they sell the LG appliances online. There are not a lot of reviews out there. I always read as many as possible before I decide which appliance to get. Oh, sites like Myspace and Youtube might also work...

Just an idea because Peter wanted more people to know about his problems.

o

But Peter, they have such bright, shiny, pretty colors...

ooohhh, the colors, the colors....

can't... resist... must... buy... LG...

---------------------------------

"So now I wasted just 3 hours in phone calls and we are just getting started again.

I can't impress on everyone Beware and stay away from LG products."

Peter

o

I havent been on the site in several days. I want to sell the machine and just end all the grief. So it is now for sale.
Peter

o

I finally ended the saga and sold the machine. I don't know if I'm going to get anything at this point or even know what to buy now. With the ratings that consumer reports gives these units it almost pays to use the public laundries. I will check around and time will tell what I will do.
Peter

o

Did you tell the person that bought it about this forum? It would be interesting to continue to follow the machine.

o

Yes the person I sold it to knows the status of the machine. He is going to place it in a basement so a slight leak won't affect him.
Peter

o

I've had problems similar to Peter and have in fact tried to work with some of the same "technicians" recommended by LG with exactly the same results so far. I also have a combination washer and dryer (WM3677HW) that I purchased 6 months ago. Almost 3 weeks ago it died. When I called LG, I was referred to A&E who came by the next day and then was never heard from again. We've called them and tried to follow up. In short, they didn't order the needed part until 2 weeks later and now almost 3 weeks later, still nothing. I've called multiple technicians after all the problems I've had with this first company and got the following responses: no response at all, they don't service our area, or say they'll call me back and never do.

The machine was great while it worked, but customer service is poor. Would I buy the machine again? NO! Not worth the headache, stress, inconvenience, etc.

o

Carolyng808, sounds like your problem regarding service is with A & E....not LG. (?)
Peteski50...take a look at this: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0513271614248.html?6
Miele is considered to be the GOD of front loaders by more than a few on this site and look at what they have done!
Would you consider buying from them?

o
Want to Buy LG Tromm fl ws/ddr combo--please help set me straght

We have almost decided on a LG Tromm both both units. We did do too much research becasue I've spent my past year everythug fromscrew to light switch covers during our renovation from hell. We've look at the EKenmore Elite line and the LG line, and some of the others, and we though for the options, cost and becasue of what we heard was a good trace record. PLease help--we need to make our deicision and decide early this week.
Barbara

o

Barbara if you were smart you would stay away from LG. If you buy LG it could turn out to be worse than your renovation from hell. Best of Luck with whatever you decide.
Peter

o

Peteski50,

congratulations on reaching an end to your LG nightmare.

I hope others can learn from your sad experience.

o

peteski50:

What a, nightmare!

I went with Maytag after reading this thread!

o

I have to laugh as I'm readying this post (so I don't cry). I'm currently on my 6th repair for my model WM2277 in just over 2 years of ownership. Of course, everytime it breaks they can't get the parts in. I was just thinking about selling my machine and purchasing a new one.

o

Rich,
Believe me I know what you are going through. It was easier for me to purge my machine and have nothing. A less hassel using the laundry room where I live. I just don't know what to buy at this point. But never LG again.
Peter

o

Can't speak on the washer/dryer combo...I have inclination to steer clear of 'combo' anything. But just purchased LG 7188 dryer (w/all latest bells and whistles) and I'm thrilled. Service, as for anything we purchase that we can't fix ourselves, is a concern...but if you take an up-front view of how often service has been needed on specific appliances...that greatly reduces it as a prominent decision factor.
LG Clothes Dryers just received the 2007 J.D.Power and Assoc. HIGHEST RATING of ALL MAJOR BRAND clothes dryers! We searched for weeks, read hundreds of reviews, and really did our homework - LG hands down for best performance and best value. Also highly rated by all the 'subscription' consumer guides.

Before you listen to any one persons 'service experience' and apply it to the entire Brand...get Pro-Active and see how often service is REQUIRED for your MODEL. Best bet until combos (one machine to do it all!) are perfected, side-by-side and stackable models may well out-perform and require less service. Good Luck!

o

Yes, we've had the LG WM2688 washer & DLG8388 gas dryer for about 8 months now, and love 'em.
Service people may be few and far between, but we haven't needed any yet.

LG service manuals

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

http://www.repairclinic.com/

o
RE: LG Service Nightmare .

sorry, hit the "Submit Message" button too soon.
Some LG service manuals are included in other models.

DLG8388WM / DLE8377WM / DLE7177WM / DLG7188WM

o

lolamina - do you work for LG? You have posted this response in at least 3 topics in this forum. When this happens it starts to look like you have ulterior motives.

Most of the members of this forum are independent thinkers and don't rely too much on often flawed reviews by CR and others. In many cases their tests are vague and/or inadequate. The service data for most of these machines is not adequate to make a long-term forecast. This forum can be a more reliable source for real-world data.

I am not anti-LG. I would have one except the HD installers would not install it in my space and I replaced it with a Duet Sport HT. Very happy with the machines and the money left in my bank account. Bells and whistles don't get the clothes clean but they may impress your friends.

o

I do not wish to take anything away from happy LG owners as that is what it is all about. When we were shopping, I too was interested in the LG units. A friend of mine is in the business so we discussed LG. The issue he had, along with appliance service owners, is that LG takes forever (sometimes thirty-days plus) to get parts to service techs. During the interim consumers start getting upset with the service techs, not LG, as they are without their appliance. Now, this would not be an issue if it were not for the fact I reside in Southern California, and parts usually ship into port here so we typically have access before most others do. My friend told me that many techs will not work on LG because of the lead time regarding parts; also, I verified this by actually seeking service techs. One would suspect that LG will eventually get to the point where their parts inventory is at a reasonable level. We opted for an appliance that has its own service techs partly for the reasons above.

My wife is an exec for a major tech corporation, and she tells me that they are constantly in litigation with LG regarding patent infringement. I wonder whether LG is under litigation regarding their diamond drum pattern as it is a derivative of another manufacturer's drum design?

o

I was talking recently with a friend who is in the business. He made a remark that LG reverse-engineers everything ... which I took to mean that they're aggressive in attempting to copy other manufacturers' designs.

o

o

I was the person that started this posting a year and a half ago. In all this time to my understanding LG has not done much to improve their service. If you really get sales people against the wall they will admit that their service sux. One appliance dealer admitted to me that the only reason he carries that brand is because that is what people want.
I paid good money for the unit I had, and to boot the I got clipped with a poor warranty.
I do know people that have LG products and are very happy. In most cases if you don't need service their great. It's a different story if you need repairs. I will never forget the grief I went through and it's exactly a year since I got rid of the unit and have been doing laundry in the public laundry. I would like to buy another combo but nothing appeals to me. Either they are to small or their is problems with other foreign distrubitors.
I would recommend anyone that wants to buy LG anything to check with a few local service dealers in your area. Than at that point you will know what to do. Sometimes the better things look the more trouble they will cause.
My advice is their are better brands.
Peter

o

I happened to find this thread searching for answers to my own LG problem.
The old "get what you pay for" adage doesn't seem to apply to LG and I will NEVER buy another LG product again. (was considering their french door refrigerator - since like the washer, was also rated #1by Consumer Reports - with matching stoves and oven but not now!) I purchased the LG Tromm WM2688HWM washer with matching dryer and after only 5 years - 1 week after my extended warranty expired - the washer has gone out and LG refuses to help - considers the unit "too aged." Really!? AGED after just 5 years!? Considering both my cheap $300-400 washers were repair free for min of 10 and up to 20 years, I expected that paying nearly 4 times the money would get me something repair free for a long time. Instead, in just half the time, I am left with a costly repair (nearly as much as the cost of buying a less expensive machine when I called around for prices!) or needing to buy a new machine. And the other thing that really blows my mind is I live in Los Angeles (probably one of their biggest markets) and the closest service provider is over an hour away and part of the reason why a service call would be so expensive. LG's attitude didn't help. What ever happened to any of your cases? Anything good or helpful to share?

o

Wow! After reading this entire thread, I will now stop thinking about purchasing the compact LG front loader. That leaves me with just a few compact front loader options left. Time to research other brands at this point. Yikes!

Thanks to the original poster (Pete) for spending his valuable time explaining his nightmare in detail to help others! Sorry he had to go thru that mess!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here