Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucycakes

LG - Bottom vent anyone?

lucycakes
15 years ago

Has anyone tried using the optional bottom vent on an LG? We are considering an LG 2487 or 2688. A side or bottom vent would work much better for current space. Actually, a side vent would be best but we want a gas dryer and the instruction book seems to indicate that the right side vent can't be used with a gas dryer.

That leaves the botom. We are on a raised foundation so we could move the vent tube. Does anyone have experience with a bottom vent? How difficult was it to install the adapter kit?

Many thanks for any help.

Comments (7)

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

I don't think LG makes a "bottom" vent kit.

You could just use a regular vent out the back and turn it downward, depending on the total length of the vent (rigid metal).

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

My LG has vent on the bottom but it is stacked and the vent in the wall is on the very bottom just above the floor so I got couple extra feet of hose on it.
    But are you talking about drying hot air go out or something that has to do w/gas?

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses -

regus patoff: Hm, there is an LG adapter kit for changing the vent location, but it is not real clear if it works for both a side vent and a bottom vent. I'll have to look at it more closely.

czechchick2: This would be to vent the hot air out. It appears that the LG has either a hole (or a punch out for a hole) in the underside of the washer so that the vent could be attached underneath. To do this we would have to create a new opening in the floor (a little scary) and relocate the duct work.

Anyone try this?

Thanks

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

Yes, now I see the optional Vent Kit 383EEL9001B can be used on bottom or either side (not on right side for gas).

Bottom vent shouldn't be scary, as long as you cut the hole in the right place and depending on where the vent goes from there, and have access to clean it out...

• onedog3cats
    15 years ago

We had space issues as well and wanted to try the bottom venting. But then I found this dryerbox that goes into the wall. It saved us a couple inches, which was all we needed so that we could get the laundry room door closed. Not sure if it could help you or not. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dryerbox

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In the end, we have ordered an electric dryer so that we can vent out the right side. For the reasons that regus mentioned above, a side vent seemed more flexible. Gas is a litte cheaper than electricity in our area, but hopefully dryer time will be short with the HE.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

• joellarob
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

LG specifications are a bit confusing. The LG natural gas dryer specs say three venting options on gas - four venting options for electric and lists the part number necessary for side ventilation. (I now know that the three venting options for natural gas are - back - bottom and left side.) You cannot vent an LG natural gas dryer on the right side. I will trade a couple on inches in the back for long term savings with natural gas! I hope this saves some of you many calls to customer service lines !