Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrbecca_gw

Fisher & Paykel WL4227J1 Washing Machine and Matching Dryer

jrbecca
9 years ago

Has anyone else taken the midrange TL plunge with me and purchased Fisher and Paykel's new TL washing machine (WL4227J1) and dryer? Initial thoughts? Buyers remorse?

Had time and money been limitless, I would have chosen the Electrolux 70 series; however, we had finite amounts of both and the biggest factor that excluded Electrolux immediately was who we decided to buy from...after crisscrossing multiple cities, local independents, refurbished centers, big box retailers, and Craigslist finds, we came across a rare breed of appliance store...family-run, knowledgeable, patient, no pressure, go above and beyond kind of place. Really a gem of a place, but they don't carry Electrolux.

In the end, a machine could fold my laundry for me, but if when it breaks the customer service isn't there, then it's worthless to me.

Anyway, thought long and hard over what they did have:

Speed Queen
Fisher and Paykel
GE

We recently sold our house and with it our 9 year-old pair of GE bottom-of-the-line washer and dryer. They worked fine, with only a couple of moderate repeat service-call issues in 2012.

I was close to going with the GE Right Height FLs, but the price difference was hard to justify for the couple of additional features the Fisher and Paykel lacks (overnight dry and one-item wash). I have only found a couple of reviews on it--a private buyer who loved it and a professional review that was lackluster but described it as a machine worth looking at if wanting a reliable, mid-range workhorse. For the mom of a family of seven doing at least seven loads a week...a reliable workhorse with large capacity was exactly what I wanted.

Plus, my goal is to get 10 years out of it. I just kept having nightmares about the GE breaking down on Day 2. I will gladly trade fancy for reliability everyday.

Now I just hope it lives up to my expectations. A bit of buyers remorse is setting in...I thought the dry cycle would be faster, but ultimately, I think I need more time to get acquainted.

I would love to hear from anyone who has this machine--good news and bad.
Why are appliance purchases so hard these days?

Comments (2)