Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pydies05

Washing machine won't spin

Pydies05
9 years ago

G'day, I have a Fisher& Paykel 7.5kg washing machine, model GW709au which is approximately 12yrs old. The problem is when it gets to the rinse/spin cycle, the machine empties then when it just starts to spin it just dies. It completely shuts off. So I switched it off then a few minutes later turned it back on, the normal start up works, all the lights work so I forward it to the rinse cycle, press start, the pump works fine, but then it dies again just as it starts to spin. Can anyone tell me what may be wrong?

Comments (5)

• Pydies05
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I neglected to mention that when this happens there are no warning beeps or noises & I'm pretty sure I can smell something that resembles an extremely hot old iron that hasn't been used in a millenium!

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Your model uses the pump as part of the power supply circuit. The pump is likely bad, tripping-out on its thermal overheat protection which makes the entire machine effectively dead. It cools in a few mins, the thermal protector resets and it works again, briefly. Repeat.

• Pydies05
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So are you suggesting dadoes I should replace the pump? And if so will that guarantee it will work again?

• dadoes
    9 years ago

I can't guarantee anything from where I am located in Texas, USA vs. where you're located in Australia, LOL ... but my guess should be reasonably accurate based on the info you've provided.

Test the pump via Diagnostics.

With Power off, press/hold Wash Temp Down, press Power at the same time. Should get two beeps and the panel comes on. Release the buttons. Then press the Regular cycle button to turn the pump on. It should run for as long as you leave it. If it turns off in a few minutes and the panel lights go dead, then that's a reliable indication that there's a problem with it.

Get under the machine and get a visual on the pump, for evidence of leaking -- rusting and/or minerals deposits. Spin the fan, does it turn freely or seem in a bind? Remove it for further examination of binding or bad bearings. No tools needed. Disconnect the wires. Find a plastic latch on the mounting plate, hold the latch released and rotate the entire pump counterclockwise (as viewed from beneath) to dismount it from the plate. Possible there's lint/strings/debris accumulated around the impeller or up in the tub outlet putting a drag on it, instead of the pump outright being bad.

• Pydies05
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanx dadoes, it was a faulty pump after all. What a wiz you are..I'll be sure to look you up & personally shake your hand if I ever come to Texas.
    All the best & kind regards from Pydies05.