Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

Why doesn't everyone do this???

mdln
9 years ago

This layout seems like it would be great for moving clothes from washer to dryer. Has anyone done it? Anyone see any problems with it?

Thank you!

Comments (34)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

In a 5.5 by 7 foot laundry area I just partitioned off that also holds the water heater yes: big problems. On the other hand, you can get maybe thirty years of lint screen cleanings back there in the pocket before you have to clean it out. The mice will also thank you.

That's one thumb down, two up.

• klem1
    9 years ago

"Anyone see any problems with it? "

None at all,plus there certainly will be plenty back up machines in the event a problem ever occurs.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Klem - good comment!

The guy at Lowes asked me 4 times if he could help me, as I was moving machines around.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

Unless you have a long reach, or put in a turntable or other clever installation, that corner counter-top will have a lot of wasted space.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

I agree completely with GaryFx.

What is wrong with side-by-side?

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

My parents have the machines switched but with the same setup. It's very convenient!

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks viennamommy, glad to hear from someone who has seen it done.

Garyfix - I envision tossing laundry baskets, that I'd be dumping dirty laundy out of, in that corner until I am ready to use them again pulling things out of the dryer. Not at all worried about any wasted space (at least in this area of my house).

Saltidawg - don't want to put them side by side because it doesn't seem to be the most ergonomic, and I am not the type of person who does things one way just because everyone else does it that way. This seems like a better set-up, esp. since I have the luxury of having the space to do it.

THANK YOU for taking the time to provide feedback. Am looking for people to be ''the devils advocate,'' so I can make an informed decision. Grubby made a great point and I would make sure I left plenty of space to put the vacuum nozzel back there (have a canister vac).

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

"I am not the type of person who does things one way just because everyone else does it that way."

Makes one wonder why "everyone else" does it the space efficient and ergonomic way.

Good luck on utilizing that corner space... reaching over a machine and down to the floor to retrieve empty laundry baskets that "everyone else" keeps on top of the dryer or an other easily accessed place.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

You have the space to do it either way. Your choice.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Saltidawg - I would not be ''reaching over and down to the floor,'' note in the corner my plan is to add a ''countertop'' that would be the same height as the washer & dryer.

Fortunately I have no need to ''utilize that corner space.'' Everyone used to carry luggage around until someone came up with the idea of putting wheels on the pieces. Maybe I am one of the originators of a new trend for those with the luxury of plenty of space. :-)

Again, thank you for the comments.

• taggie
    9 years ago

I don't understand why it's more ergonomic. With my side-by-sides I stand at the washer/dryer, take clothes out and put them in the dryer in one motion. In your setup I would stand at the washer, take clothes out, turn and take a half step to put them in the dryer, turn and step back to washer and repeat. Am I missing something?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have both front loaders and made sure to set them up so that the doors opened opposite each other so there's no door in the way so I can in one movement take clothes out of the washer and into the dryer with out moving.
    It is a very easy and smooth transition. I can even do it sitting in my wheelchair.
    It meant putting the dryer where the washer normally is and the washer where the dryer was. Luckily all the connections reached.
    Some machines allow for the doors to be put on either side of the machine which is very handy.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks taggie - am not an occupational therapist, just felt easier when I tried it in the store. Was surprised to discover that. Went to store to check out dryer door openings (learned on most the doors are reversible).

With W&D next to one another you pick laundry out of basket (1) then turn right and (2) then walk forward, (3) then turn left. With them at right angles it was just (1) turn right.

Sorry diagram not be to scale so looks like more distance between machines. Will have ~3'' between them, just enough to get vacuum cleaner nozzle in the corner.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ravencajun - GREAT idea, will share that with my occupational therapist colleague! Front loaders are out of my budget right now, but maybe next time I will try that.

THANK YOU so much for commenting.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

ravencajen

When the delivery guys set up my front loaders they offered me the option of swapping the locations of my front loading LG's.

I agree with you, it's so easy with the two doors out of the way!

• designergrey
    9 years ago

Is the space under the corner cabinet accessible by a corner door? That's the space I wouldn't want to lose but if I could still get to that space then I like your plan.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Designergrey, thank you for the ''like.''

There is no other access. I can afford to lose the space, I have a 23' x 28' space with NOTHING else in it and nothing else planned to go in it. All the electrical & plumbing is set up in that corner and I do not want to pay to have that changed.

• emma
    9 years ago

The counter top would be hard to reach, wasted space. I like changes more than most people but I would not like that set up. Washer and dryer doors do not always open the same way.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks EmmaR. - the washer is top loading and the dryer has reversible doors. that was my first concern and the reason I went to Lowes and took the picture (BTW - not an advertisement for Lowes, I will be buying from Abt).

The intent of the countertop is to be ''wasted space,'' I don't need to reach it - am only putting a countertop there to prevent things from falling between the washer & dryer to the floor.

Is it just the wasted space that makes you not like it?

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

While doing the laundry today and taking the clothes out of the washer and putting them in the dryer which are side-by-side but about 2-2.5 feet apart I remembered this arrangement. I had a chair with a basket sitting nearby and as a experiment moved it over to sit at a right angle next to the washer to put the clothes in (simulating this arrangement) and found it to be awkward and somewhat uncomfortable due to it closeness. However, moving the basket/chair away from the corner of the washer by 1.5 feet (or so) in each direction made it so it wasn't awkward and uncomfortable to use. I'm not sure it would be better or not, but with careful placement (to suit the operator) it could definitely be a workable alternative to the standard side-by-side setup.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@dewguy - love it, doing clinical research for the laundry forum. Great observation about the closeness. THANK YOU!

LOL, was wondering what Lowe's would think if I brought a load of laundry in. Maybe I will wander their aisles and see if they have anything that can simulate laundry.

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

@mdln - you could probably find some shop towels or micro fiber towels at Lowes to simulate laundry. :-)

• emma
    9 years ago

No it is not just wasted space. I like using the tops of my washer and dryer to lay things on while doing laundry. I like the looks of mine...all in a row, more orderly in my opinion.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you EmmaR for the clarification. Have a top loader washer so don't put anything on it. I get the aesthetics of things. Put my dishwasher where it is, just so I did not see it from the living room.

Am considering this layout is because no one (GC, plumber, or electrician) asked me about the space. All seemed to have different ideas of what is going where. GC is willing to make changes, at a cost of $$$ and time.

His thought - I never told him what I wanted, my response - he never asked and I did not realize how plumbing & electrical was being set up until after it was done. Who was wrong? Probably both of us. However, it does not matter. Am just trying to get the project done, with as little extra costs as possible.

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

Since a few here are concerned with that being wasted space in the corner, I have an idea that would take care of that as well as work towards my realization from testing the idea yesterday that they shouldn't be right next to each other. Here's the idea, a kitchen corner cabinet with lazy susan (link below). The extra space could be used for storage and you wouldn't have to vacuum in the corner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Classics Portland 35-in x 36-in x 23.75-in Finished Portland Oak Lazy Susan Base Cabinet

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great idea, thank you. That price is very reasonable, do not want to spend a lot of $$ on something I doubt I would use. I like open, shallow shelves, where nothing is hidden behind anything, so you can see everything, in a laundry room.

I am going to seriously consider this, will look at them next trip to big box (seem to be going everyday for something...). The same time I will be taking a bunch of their shop towels to the W&D section.

THANK YOU!

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

@mdln - Looking forward to seeing what you end up with, will you post the results?

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ dewguy - absolutely. Am also wondering what I will so.

Waiting to get more info from builder. He also does not like the plan, probably not enough to cover costs of both plumber & electrician to redo.

Completion is still at least a month away, but it is unlikely I will forget this post., as what I thought was a great new idea was not embraced by all.

GW will tell you things even your best friend won't tell you. That is what I love about it, brutal honesty. 8-)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

We had a deep corner like that in one of our homes, it was in the kitchen. We had a short under counter hot water heater installed there which gave me quick hot water for the kitchen and dishwasher. . Worked out great.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Late to the party ...

" ... am only putting a countertop there to prevent things from falling between the washer & dryer to the floor."

Five bucks says you'll still find a sock or two (or dozen) back there in the corner when you clean. If you ever clean there that is ... out of sight, out of mind. Besides, running a vacuum hose back there would involve having to move the table top out of the way, correct? That said, I have a sliver of space between my side-by-side washer and dryer and socks and other small items frequently into it. But all I have to do to remove them is run a yardstick in there and pull them out.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Due to plumbing & electrical, it has become a moot point. The set-up will be ''washer - utility sink - dryer'' all in a row against a wall.

Not the way I would have picked to set it up, but not a big enough deal for me to pay for additional plumbing and/or electrical changes. If it turns out that I really dislike it, I can always go back and make the changes later.

• dewguy1999
    9 years ago

@mdln - My setup is similar to what you're getting, except I have a small cabinet between instead of a utility sink. One thing I'm thinking of doing is angling the dryer so the door opening is facing towards the washer as I toss clothes from the washer to the dryer and it's a awkward gesture. Moving it would make it more natural and easier to hit the target. My old washer and dryer were Kenmores (re-badged Whirlpools) and the dryer had the fold down "hamper style" door and if the clothes didn't go in when I tossed them they would land on the door. Now with my Speed Queen set the dryer has a door that opens to the side and when I miss the clothes fall on the unfinished concrete floor. Yes, I could put the clothes from the washer into a basket and carry it over to the dryer and then put them into the dryer, but I hate handling them twice and it takes longer. :-)

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dewguy, LOL my tossing skills were never good (they never let me pitch in softball), I am going to try doing that - angling the dryer. I just hope the cord is long enough. Great tip, thank you!

Otherwise, someone on GW said they got one of those laundrymat baskets on wheels, I may purchase one of them.