Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafana_gw

I love my new Speed Queen washer

bananafana
11 years ago

After suffering thru many years with the Calypso washing machine that my husband thought would be the bomb.......I hated that washer. It couldn't clean anything. I finally bought a Speed Queen washer and have had it for 2 months. I love the Speed Queen washer. Love it, love it. love it. My clothes have never been cleaner and the cycle is fast!!

It's old style, and uses a fair amount of water. The cleaning ability is amazing. I love this machine. From now on, it's me and Speed Queen! In my lifetime (I'm 60) I have owned 6 washing machines. This is by far my best washer. I'm so happy with it, I almost don't mind doing laundry. Really----it's amazing. Get one if you are tired of long cycles and crappy washing.

Nancy

Comments (11)

• Reginasunrae
    11 years ago

Hi, Nancy. I hear ya! I'm fifty-plus and owned three previous washers. I could probably still be using my first washer if I hadn't decided I needed to replace it because it was getting old and tired. Its replacement ended up having a design flaw and failed after only four years. I replaced it with the worst piece of garbage ever, which happened to be a lousy model of a Cabrio HE. Its computer died when it was eleven months old. I won't even go into the mess it made of our clothes. I declare, I spent weeks redoing laundry that had been put through that Cabrio.

After a lot of consideration I also bought a Speed Queen. I wouldn't say it's my best washer ever (there was no topping my old Kenmore) but it definitely does a decent enough job of getting our clothes clean. I've been using it for just over a year now with super results.

I also love that it came with a good warranty and is manufactured here in the U.S.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Good for you girls!!! I am a top-loader too, and proud of it, extra rinses and all.

• gates1
    11 years ago

If I was in the market for a conventional top loading washer, it would be a speed queen no doubt, because they are built like a tank. Ive had a FL for 10 yrs and now a He top loader and never had a cleaning issues with them. Im glad we are all happy with what we got.

• beth572
    10 years ago

I have to give back to Garden Web. I researched my new washer on GardenWeb and ended up with the Speed Queen and I am very happy with how clean it gets my clothes, and how quick the cycles are. I was replacing a Fisher Paykel that died after about 5 years. When I washed my first load of clothes in the Speed Queen, I was amazed how clean they seemed after the FP!!!! The FP made my clothes gray, and I thought it was my fault. Now my clothes have bright colors and no gray! Also, I like the delicate and hand wash cycles. They clean but are gentle on the clothes. The only cons I see with the SQ are the fact that is doesn't have the very high RPM spin cycle so clothes have more water to dry out once they come out of the washer. Also, the water level as factory set is too low on the largest load size. I am changing that today (see youtube!).
    Can't wait til my Fisher Paykel dryer dies, hopefully that's soon, it doesn't dry very well (2+ hours for a load of towels, and it's not my dryer vent).

• bananafana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beth---I've also found that the spin isn't great on the gentle or hand wash cycles. I suppose it's to reduce wear on the gentle clothes. But I have given gentle stuff a second spin using just the spin portion of the regular or perm press cycles and that has been working for me. Nancy

• triedandtrue
    10 years ago

Also purchased a speed queen top loader in march of this year and am completely satisfied. Have model AWN432. It washes very well. I think its better than the 2 direct drives I had, and certainly better than the Maytag bravos this replaced. Just a solid, "old school" heavy duty washer. Its nice to have a washer that gives you HOT water when you want it and not luke warm.

• triedandtrue
    10 years ago

The other thing about this machine I like is I have not had a load go off balance and bang around. It spins very steady, so far in that category it is the best yet I have used. Plus the one piece agitator that washes in my opinion better than any dual action agitator. Very effective water action and clothes movement. Just the sounds are reminiscent of whirlpools/maytags I remember as a kid.

• vputin
    10 years ago

Where can you buy Speed Queen washers? I'm fed up with Maytag shredding clothes, sheets and towels.

• triedandtrue
    10 years ago

Speed queen is sold through small independent dealers or you can go to their website and find a dealer near you.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

The Speed Queen love affair ... you've gotta get one to understand it.