Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to cover up a stain on a woolen blanket

Posted by sailski (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 22:25

I have 2 woolen blankets with stains on them. Took them to a dry cleaner and was told the stains couldn't come out. I think it may be tea stains. The blankets are ivory colour with green stripes and look practically new. What could I do to cover up the stain - applique (?). I've already cleaned the blankets with eucalan wool wash. Should I spot treat the stain with a Clorox bleach pen - I'm thinking that might degrade the wool fibers. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to cover up a stain on a woolen blanket

Don't bleach wool! It wrecks it.

Learn to live with it ... put them under the bedspread.

An applique would work for small stains, but add several so it's less obvious you are covering something.

Dye the wool with a tea solution and turn it all tea-colored.

o

You might try "Linen Wash". It's a cold water treatment that I've had stain removal luck with on occasions. You can use it with wool in cold water, pretreat the spots first then full cold wash, extra spin then air dry over shower or on very low temp to avoid shrinking. It's been around for years and sold in fine specialty shops and online. GL.

o

Try laying them in the sun. Wash them VERY carefully, and then while wet, lay the stained blankets in the sun, preferably in the grass. The sun will most likely bleach out the stain, and with no harm to the wool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here