Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laundrylover

Bosch front loader has died..Pls recommend which Miele to get?

laundrylover
12 years ago

Hi everyone, this is my first post here :)

I am so sad, but my front loader Bosch Axxis is dead. It started acting weird last week and drum wouldnt spin..I googled and found info on carbon brushes, which I ordered and my dad replaced-just now I tried to run a load and nothing. So, so sad...its 7 years old, and we have three children so we do a fair amount of laundry..This was the first washer we ever owned :(

Anyway. At least the dryer is still alive, which will make the expense a bit more tolerable. Im thinking of just getting a washer for now, then some time from now a dryer (this one is starting to act up).

I have heard the Miele name mentioned a lot when it comes to washers. Can someone with a Miele recommend theirs? How about a place to buy? Im thinking of going to the same store nearby where we bought the Bosch years ago, but if I found the same machine online I could probably bargain...

Thanks very much

Comments (12)

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ laundrylover

There doesn't appear to be any advantage to buying online. Miele must have changed something in the last year or so. When I bought my W4842, there was more variability with the online pricing. My local dealer matched the lowest online price I could find at the time - $1,899. Today, online pricing seems to be consolidated around $1,949. Since there is no price advantage to buying online (unless the reseller pays for shipping and does not charge you sales tax), I would say contact your local Miele dealer and buy the machine from them. Help put money back into your local economy by supporting local businesses.

I love LOVE this machine!

• fahrenheit_451
    12 years ago

Ensure that the dealer that you are purchasing from is indeed an authorized Miele dealer. If they are not, Miele will not honor their Miele warranty--period. Purchasing an extended Miele warranty--through Miele, and only Miele--is something to seriously consider. Third-party warranties are not the same as Miele's warranty.

Directly call Miele to learn whether the dealer you are purchasing your Miele from is indeed an authorized dealer.

• laundrylover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks guys! i am heading to the store to see the machines right now.

will check out W4842, and will definitely look into a warranty directly from Miele.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ laundrylover

If you get your machines installed by a Miele authorized installer (ask your dealer), you will get an automatic 1 year extension on your warranty to 2 full years. Miele may also be running a special on their 5 year warranty + Vision module. Basically they were running a promotion some months ago where you basically are paying for the 5 year warranty and getting the Vision modules for free. That's how the pricing worked out, anyway. It's definitely something to consider. The Vision module is a wireless internet card that you pop into your Miele washer and dryer. If any of your machines are not performing up to snuff, the Vision module will automatically alert Miele service and they will call you before you know anything is wrong with your machine. Nice, eh?

• fahrenheit_451
    12 years ago

sshrivastava,
    If you get your machines installed by a Miele authorized installer (ask your dealer), you will get an automatic 1 year extension on your warranty to 2 full years.Miele ended this in my area (Southern California); it's one year only.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

@fahrenheit_451 - Then it must be a state-by-state, or area thing. Miele installers told me that I get an extra year, giving me the extension to make my warranty two years, because I had them install it.

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

Miele, in the USA at least, totally restructured their ordering and delivery protocols this June 2011!

Miele products can still be ordered thru an AUTHORIZED Miele dealer, yet ALL deliveries and set up is handled directy thru Miele (large appliances)!

We inquired about the new La Perla Diamond, and Miele USA told me that I can purchase from my appliance store that I have used for 15 years, but the ordered is given to Miele from the authorized appliance store. Then Miele will contact you within 48 hours, and deliver and set up the appliances. The cost is usually $150-180, but this will generally include a FIVE year warranty directly thru MIELE! Not a bad deal, considering a 5 year Miele warranty is $250.00.

I LOVE, LOVE, LONE my W4842 washer. And actually, I think I love my T98002 electric dryer even more. I have tried Samsung, Electrolux, Frigidaire and friends' and famililes GE Profile, Maytag and Whirlpool....and man, Miele just blows everything out of the water!!!

• fahrenheit_451
    12 years ago

Larsi,

The five-year warranty is now standard only on Miele's Diamond series; all others fall to the one-year level. However, that is a nice incentive when you tally the cost of the Diamond.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

Diamond series what? That's certainly not a washer, you must be referring to a dishwasher? I also never heard of Miele offering a 5 year warranty if you use their installers, but that's great if true.

@ laundrylover... I would recommend you clarify these issues by contacting Miele directly. Let us know what you find out.

• laundrylover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well poo. posted an update and just now checked in and see i never actually did post it.
    So went to store today and did find out about warranty. 1 year, which will be extended to 2 if i have Miele install (as opposed to store install).
    I saw three machines:

W3033 ($1999)- the smallest capacity, and this machine looked most like my dead Bosch (compact, can be stacked)

W4802 ($1699) -this one looked huge compared to the previous one, but i still like the way it looks

W4842 ($1899)- two hundred $ more, for the few extra options and display. I really like this one.

Now i have to figure out what i want? My Bosch dryer is a condensation one. If i want to stick with that, i will have to go with the $1999 Miele, and stack the Condenser Miele dryer on top of that.
    If i want to go vented dryer, will have to move things drastically around in laundry room, blocking the side door (we wont be able to use anymore), to allow the vent to go outside. Which may totally be worth it, i am confused and dont know which Miele I should want.

• fahrenheit_451
    12 years ago

If i want to go vented dryer, will have to move things drastically around in laundry room, blocking the side door (we wont be able to use anymore), to allow the vent to go outside. Which may totally be worth it, Idon't am confused and don't know which Miele I should want.Can you post a floor plan so that we can gather an better idea of what you're up against regarding your layout? Thanks.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ laundrylover

I don't recommend the W3033 - it costs more but handles less. The only advantage I see in going to a smaller, Euro-style machine is for the 220v capability. Those machines can crank your water up to boiling. However, the W3033 is a 110v machine and limited to temperatures up to 158F. If you want to go with that smaller style of machine, I would recommend Asko over Miele due to the Asko's 220v design and ability to heat water to 205F.

If capacity is where it's at, then the decision is clear - W48X2. I would opt for the W4842 (w/ display) because it offers a few more cycles and the display is nice to have. I can't imagine spending this kind of money on a washer but not having some sort of digital text display.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!