Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louietouie_gw

Need help choosing a new front load washer (and dryer)

louietouie
12 years ago

I have just entered into the confusing world of choosing a new washer and dryer. My focus is to get the best front loader washer that won't mold (what's that about anyway!), isn't going to require repair 3 months out, and will clean our cloths well in a normal cycle in less that 90 minutes without using tons of water. I hope a quality dryer companion will go with it.

Should I instead consider a top load to get what I want?

Having access to only apartment washer and dryer for years, I am excited to not have to share any more. Help me figure this out. Please!

Comments (3)

• michelle_phxaz
    12 years ago

Love love love my LG. I bought it from Sears Outlet store so it was half off the full price, just with a few nicks and they have us the blue touch-up paint for that.

We got a steam set, didn't want or need it but we loved the deep blue color and it was exactly what we wanted, just with steam. I tried the steam and it doesn't do much.

But definitely check out the outlet stores for better deals, and LG is the way to go!

• michelle_phxaz
    12 years ago

Oh, to prevent mildew and mold, leave the door and the detergent drawer open for a day or two after the laundry is done so it fully dries. No stinkies.

• gr8daygw
    8 years ago

Never close the door completely, dry the rubber seal and wipe the window. I also turn my detergent drawer upside down and empty any water left in it and sometimes I'll leave it on top of the washer to dry completely but usually just dump the water and put it back in the drawer and leave it cracked a little bit. The idea is to let air into the machine. They are air tight and that is the reason for the smell if left closed all the time.

I passed on LG because there were just too many unhappy stories of people who had a problem and had lousy experiences with their customer service. I have very much enjoyed my GE pair and have on order now a Whirlpool duet pair. The reason is because I got a small set in the GE when I first moved into front loader machines and it is too small to get large loads done and I can't even think about doing a king size mattress pad or comforter. It's been an excellent set but there were other reasons I wanted to go with the Whirlpool this time.

One of the neatest things with the Whirlpool is that it has a "fan fresh" feature that blows air into the machine to dry it and circulate air. If you forget your laundry for two days no problem with the fan feature. You can also completely wash and dry small items just in the washer. The fan feature in the washer allows you to wash and dry your favorite nighty and undies all in one fell swoop. I run almost every day and I have a bit of laundry regularly of just certain delicate items such as running stretch leggings or shorts and shirts that I could do with this feature and not have to wait until I have a full load. The Duet also has a "Load and Go" feature which allows you to load 12 loads worth of detergent at a time in a cartridge and it dispenses it for you so you don't even have to mess with measuring detergent except every two weeks or so. But one of the biggies for me is that it spins at 1400 rpm which should get the clothes spun pretty dry before going into the dryer.

I have used a couple of new top loading washers of late in vacation condos and at my mom's in her brand new set and what I notice with the top loaders is that they don't wring out the clothes very well. They are also so cheap feeling and they are not the machines our moms enjoyed for 20 years before going on the fritz. Be sure to get a water heating feature on whatever machine you chose. You won't have to depend on tap hot water to do all the work because the washer has it's own heating element. Of course many of them have the same features but I have not seen all of the features I want on one machine like the Duet. I don't have it yet it's on order and I will get it in November. I got the Chrome Shadow color and am wondering if I did the right thing there. It cost more than plain white and maybe I will change that before they arrive. Can anyone give me some feedback on that? I'd really like to have the Black Diamond but I don't want to spring for the extra money to get it. It seems dumb to pay big bucks for the exact same machine mechanically and have to pay $200 or $300 each for a special color.

Right now I noticed that Costco has the Duet for a great buy, you might want to check it out. They sell the washer dryer pair with the pedestals and a two year extended warranty, free delivery, install, needed parts and haul away for as much as you would pay for just the washer and dryer at other places. I would love to take advantage of that great deal but I wanted to take advantage of Home Depot's 24 month free financing that I received for having my credit card with them for one year. Not to mention Home Depot is right down the street from me and I didn't want to hassle with some third party delivery service at Costco even though it was included in the price. I didn't need the pedestals either so I went with Home Depot.