Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annettacm_gw

Help needed from Samsung dryer owners...

annettacm
15 years ago

I have a Samsung 328 model. I want to use the My Cycle to set it to dry "Normal Dry" on "Low" for longer than 30 minutes. Right now, if I want to use the Sensor dry, I have to choose Delicates (the only option for Low, and preset for 31 min) or I have to use the Timed Dry, which obviously defeats the sensor feature altogether. I don't want to guess on how long it will take to dry my clothes; that's why I want the sensor.

So they have this thing called My Cycle, which says it's supposed to let you choose the Dry Level, Temp, and Time. Except all mine does it let me choose from the already pre-set cycles. That's stupid. How do I work this "My Cycle" thing or how can I override the times or temps for the other cycles? This is the first thing I've been unhappy with on the Samsung. Whirlpool let me choose "Low" every time.

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• iu_jock
    15 years ago

I have the same washing machine and almost the same problem. I want to create a "my cycle" which is: timed dry, 38 minutes, low heat. It never remembers my settings. The instruction manual isn't very intuitive on how to save or even create a "my cycle".

• dadoes
    15 years ago

The point of using Sensor Dry is that you CANNOT set a time. On Sensor Dry, the machine determines the time needed by sensing the moisture remaining in the clothes and running until a particular point is reached that the Samsung engineers have programmed as "normal" dry (or whatever is the dryness level you select) REGARDLESS of how much time it takes. The 31 mins it comes up with at the start is an ESTIMATE based on average loads.

Using Timed Dry is SUPPOSED to defeat the sensor. *That's* the point of timed drying -- the machine runs for the specific amount of time set, regardless of whether the clothes end up damp or dried to a Saharan level.

You should be able to set My Cycle by time as follows, assuming the instruction manual is correct.

1. Turn on the power.
    2. Press My Cycle (the indicator light in the button should turn on).
    3. Set TIME DRY on the cycle dial. (Step 2 and 3 may need to be reversed -- as in set the dial to Time Dry first, then press My Cycle.)
    4. Set the TEMP button to LOW (or whatever temp you desire).
    5. Set the TIME button to 40min (or whatever is your choice of time).
    6. Use the TIME UP/TIME DOWN buttons to further adjust the time as desired ... i.e. 45mins or 48min or whatever.
    7. Set WRINKLE PREVENT and SIGNAL as desired.
    8. Press START.
    9. Sensor Dry WILL NOT BE ACTIVE since you have set TIME DRY to run the dryer for a specific number of minutes.

Assuming the My Cycle button works correctly, pressing My Cycle and Start for another load should repeat the previous My Cycle settings.

• dadoes
    15 years ago

Per a chart on Page 29 of the instruction manual I downloaded, each sensor cycle is hard-wired to a specific temperature. The fabric labels on the dial could be replaced with temperatures to the same effect. Samsung engineered the control to allow modifying the temp on two of the cycles to one step lower than the default

- Normal = High (Medium)
    - Heavy = High (no change allowed)
    - Towels = High (Medium)
    - Perm Press = Medium Low (no change allowed)
    - Delicates = Low (no change allowed)

For the Timed cycles, Freshen Up runs at High (no change), Time Dry defaults to High (selectable to any temp), Wrinkle Release is Medium (appears to also be selectable), Air Fluff is no heat (no change).

Default drying times (estimated for sensor dry) and cool down times are also listed. I'm not going to reproduce the entire chart here. Your choice, of course, to get more "time" out of a sensor dry cycle is to choose a higher dryness level. That's the point of having several selections of dryness level. The main difference between Perm Press and Delicate appears to be that Perm Press has a 10-min cool down, Delicate has 5 mins. The estimated drying time is the same for both cycles at Normal Dry. So Delicate at Low and Perm Press at Low (if that was allowed) is pretty much identical other than the cool down time and whatever difference there may be engineered into the dryness sensing algorithms.

Per the instruction manual, the same steps apparently should work to set My Cycle based on a sensor drying selection. Press My Cycle to activate the memory, choose Delicate, set the Dryness Level to More Dry, press Start. For the next load, turn on the power, press My Cycle and start, and it should run at your previous saved selection. If not, then perhaps something is wrong. Or maybe (for whatever reason) Samsung programmed the electronics to *always* default to Normal Dry for sensor dry selections, not allowing it to be saved as part of a My Cycle.

• scdeb424
    15 years ago

Hi Dadoes:
    Since you own Samsung and sound like a you really have researched I want to ask your advice about the drum sizes of both dryers and washers--what do you recommend? Also is the Samsung washer as good a product? If there are any other tibits of info you can give I'd love to hear them. My son and his wife would love to own the pair and I want to give them a house warming gift.

• dadoes
    15 years ago

Sorry, I don't own a Samsung washer or dryer. I was simply interpreting the information I found in the downloadable instruction manual on Samsung's web site for the model the original poster was asking about.

• scdeb424
    15 years ago

Dadoes: That was really nice of you!

• Chelsea
    4 years ago

It scares me this post is from 2008 and this issue has not yet been resolved. it is infuriating to have a sensor dryer and not be "allowed" per the UI (the control/button panel in this casw) to choose a dryness level
    How about jeans? Those are supposed to be dried on med/low - low. why would I guess the time? that would defeat the purpose? Just stupid. A full load of jeans would most certainly take like 2 - 3hrs. That's not even an option... I just have to keep checking so my clothes don't start to stink? Why would I do that since I bought a sensor dryer??! That's just bad design.
    My Cycle should allow you to preset literally anything. this is just sad.... and infuriating

• Chelsea
    4 years ago

FYI - still not fixed on DVE52M750* or DVE52M755* dryers. being a software engineer myself, I'm not sure how this made it to lab trials even without this functionality accessible from the panel... I say it that way because the machine is able to do it. the bad programming prevents it from being selected.