Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thezteam

Asko W6222 vs. Miele W1612 vs. AEG-Electrolux L74950A - Help!

thezteam
13 years ago

Hi,

I've been reading with much interest everyone's comments on washers and dryers; they have been extremely helpful - thank you!

I'm looking for a washer (and dryer) that has excellent washing performance and is reliable. It's just me and husband so we don't need a huge capacity, although it would be nice to fit our king-size comforter. The units will be stacked, on a wood floor, so vibration and noise is a concern. I've narrowed it down to three contenders, all around the same price, and would appreciate any and all comments on these machines (especially the AEG as I'm struggling to find info on it). I've included some info that I've discovered about each of the machines, feel free to correct any errors!

Asko W6222 - free 5 year warranty, quiet, low vibration, near boil wash, good washing performance, 5.5 kg capacity, cold water inlet only, 240V, delay start

Miele W1612 - free 10 year warranty, near boil wash, excellent reputation, good washing performance, some vibration (in the model at the Miele gallery I went to), 5.5 kg capacity, hot and cold water inlet, 120V, no delay start

AEG-Electrolux L74950A, free 1 year warranty, quiet, no vibration (saw it at a distributor), 8 kg capacity, near boil wash, cold water inlet, 240V, delay start

Thanks so much!

Lisa

Comments (20)

• mieleforme
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

As my name suggest, I would always go for Miele. They don't use elaborate vibration reduction techniques but rather old school build quality.The sheer weight of the cast iron tub cradle prevents most vibration (along with all of the sensors) and it has worked for decades. Level the machine out, then make the feet extra tight to the floor, tighten the lock nuts and you good to go. Most people think that when you level the machine it's ready to go. Not true. Some feet may have more pressure to the floor than others. I refer to this as "soft foot".It takes a little experimenting to get it just right, but its worth it.I would suggest perfecting this before installing the stacked dryer however. My point being, I wouldn't stray from Miele because of your fear of increased vibration. Miele machines are in a league of their own, until you own one you'll never know.

• suburbanmd
    13 years ago

I have to disagree with mieleforme here. Heavy weight and proper leveling notwithstanding, my Miele W4840 (admittedly different from the W1612, but similar to mieleforme's machine) does transmit some force to the floor during less-than-perfectly-balanced spins. My 1st-floor wood floor happens to be very rigid, built 1957-style, and the laundry room is at the edge of the house near the foundation. On some loads, the stove next to the washer (don't ask) shakes slightly, and the spin is detectable throughout the house...not shaking, just a subtle sensation that you might not even notice if you aren't familiar with it. But if the washer was on a "bouncy" floor in a newer house, I can imagine the vibrations reaching a level that could cause damage.

• hidroman
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    the only true "AEG" thing in that washer is the badge : Electrolux closed in y 2007 the AEG frontloader factory in Nuremberg. Now all AEG frontloader and dishwashers are made here in Italy by Zanussi-Electrolux. Compare the A.E.G. Lavamat L74950A with this Zanussi-Electrolux ZWF14791W : they are basically the same machine, having them just few minor differences, but the AEG price is 30% higher !!

Of course there are worse frontloader, but IMHO AEG appliances are way too overpriced for the built quality level they offer.

Here the Lavamat 74953 is in the same price range of the BOL Miele W 1611

• thezteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you mieleforme, suburbanmd, and hidroman for your comments, they are very helpful!

Hidroman - How would the BOL Miele compare to the Lavamat in terms of build quality? The Miele W1612 that I'm looking at is Miele's entry-level machine in Canada.

Miele owners - I've noticed that the drain holes in the rubber bellows around the door are not at the bottom of the rubber. It looks like the water has to pool quite a bit before it starts to drain. Have you noticed this or had any issues with odor?

Anyone have comments on Asko?

Thanks everyone, this forum is so great!

Lisa

• mieleforme
    13 years ago

Yes there is a very small amount of water that pools on the bottom. I leave the door cracked after I'm done washing and it evaporates fairly quickly. It's a small amount, non issue for me. Normally something like that would bug me but its very little and gone in a heartbeat. Eight months in and no odors or signs of mildew, clean as a bell. Again, leaving the door cracked after you're done washing for the day is the trick to any health front loader. After its dry, in a few hours or end of the day, door goes closed until the next wash. Miele was even smart enough to make the interior light and control panel shutdown after the door has been open for so long so you can do this without burning out the lights. However they are all LED's so they will probably never need to be replaced anyhow. Once again, the thought that goes into a Miele is incredible.

• mieleforme
    13 years ago

That is "healthy front loader".

• julie999
    13 years ago

I love my Asko, but I doubt that you will be able to fit your king-size comforter in it. There is no big rubber ring on the Asko and I've never had problems with mold or funky smells, although conscientious use will address those problems with the other machines.

I don't have the model you are looking at, but I like all of the cycles and use them all. And I'm occasionally glad to have the highest temperature available.

Our latest Asko washing machine has been trouble-free but the first two were not. However, Asko replaced both of them at no cost even though the warrantly was about to run out. And started with a new warranty each time. I would encourage you to be sure of your applicance dealer and his/her service.

And, even with the troubles, I would buy an Asko washing machine again. I'm pretty compulsive about laundry. We also have a septic system and the low water usage was the primary reason we switched, many years ago, to a front-loader. At the time, the Asko was the most water- and energy-efficient machine available locally. We saw our water, electricity, and gas usage decrease with the Asko. I'm sure that would also be true with the Miele, but we were unable to find a Miele with a local dealer.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Great info. When we had an Asko dryer I really appreciated the reduced lint production, a feature Asko touted at the time. I assumed my Asko washer was similarly easier on clothes than previous brands we've used. Now that I'm considering updating to either Asko or Miele, can anyone weigh in on which puts less wear and tear on clothes? TIA.

• smorgasbord1
    13 years ago

You're not going to fit a King size comforter in 6kg capacity washer. I had a Miele W1926 (also 6kg), and it wouldn't do a good job on our thin queen sized comforter.

It's hard comparing capacity in weight(kg) to volume (cf). Samsung has a chart that shows their 4.0 cf washers handling 14kg, and their 4.5cf washers handling 16kg. That puts the equation as:

Capacity in Cubic Feet = Capacity in Kilograms / 3.5

So a 6kg washer would hold about 1.7 cubic feet. That's really small.

Combine the small capacity with incredibly long cycle times, and you've found the reason we sold our Mieles.

• thezteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Really great info, thanks everyone.

Julie999 - is your Asko installed on concrete or wood? Does it vibrate much?

I'm ok with sacrificing capacity for better washing performance, but I haven't been able to find out anything about the washing performance of the AEG and I'm now questioning its reliability based on Hidroman's comments.

Thanks all,
    Lisa

• mielemaid
    13 years ago

I've got the Miele 4840 (last year's model) and when it was first installed we had a huge vibration thing, they've come out a few times and I think it's reduced the vibration slightly. We have honed marble floors and the house shook but...it's Miele. It's the best ever. No other issues with it.

When I take the wash out of the w machine I leave the door wide open. I've never had a problem with the smell that other people talk about except once when I accidentally left it closed. The next time I washed I left it open and again, zero issues.

Originally I wanted an Electrolux but after reading this forum for months and googling about Electrolux vs Miele, I will tell you (and you should google this) there is no substitute for Miele. None. Performance-wise, the Miele is incredible. I think the 5.5 kg's are smaller than the USA Miele ones.

I will tell you that in our family, my husband's mother and father have had a Miele for 26 years and there's been no service calls on it except to change the seal on the door and that is it. When I was at their house I used that washer a lot and found it worked perfectly.

As far as Asko, I know people on this forum have had issues with Asko, but again, google gardenweb.com asko washing machine and find out what happens.

• julie999
    13 years ago

Our Asko is installed on a concrete floor in our basement which has a slab foundation. And, no, it doesn't vibrate. It's installed under a counter which also has a laundry sink in a cabinet for storage. The counter is supported independently of the machines so they can easily be pulled out if service is needed.

• thezteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I emailed Miele last Wednesday (Sept. 8) and asked about the vibration on the W1612 that I saw at the Miele Gallery. I received an auto-reply stating that I would receive a response within 48 hours. No response so far.

In contrast, I received an email from Asko saying that they highly recommend their machines for second floor installations because of their 'Quattro Suspension System'. They connected me with a distributor so that I can watch the Asko in action. Very impressive customer service so far; I hope it's indicative of how I could expect to be treated if I needed service on the machine.

• thezteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi All,

I finally heard back from Miele. They didn't really respond to my question re: vibration, so I'm assuming that the vibration on the washer I saw at the Miele Gallery is typical of a Miele unit. My email to them and their response is below:

Sept. 9 email to Miele:

Hi,

I'm looking for a new washer and dryer and have narrowed it done to a few contenders, the Miele W1612 being one of them. I went to the Miele Gallery in Vancouver and had a demo of the model. The washing performance was excellent and I love that you're offering a free 10 year warranty. It's refreshing to see a company that's willing to stand behind their products!

Before making a decision, I have few questions that I'm hoping you can respond to.

1. During the demo that I saw, the washer vibrated between about a quarter to a half an inch at the top of the machine when it was spinning at 1000 RPM. I would be installing it on a wood (main) floor of my 83 year old house, so I am concerned about vibration. In the Vancouver Miele Gallery, the washer and dryer were stacked, but a stacking kit wasn't used. So, I'm wondering if perhaps the unit wasn't installed as well as it could have been and that what was leading to the vibration. Alternatively, is between a quarter and a half inch vibration typical of Miele washers?

2. I noticed that the drain holes on the rubber bellows are about half an inch above the bottom of the bellows. It seems like water would pool there, without any way to drain. Is there a reason why the drain holes are not located at the bottom of the bellows and have you had complaints/issues with odours and mold?

3. Is there any plan to bring back a 240V washer? I was really hoping to get one, but there aren't any in Miele's current line up.

Thank you in advance,
    Lisa

Sept. 17 Response from Miele:

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to write.

There are things you can do to prevent the vibration in your appliances. The main thing you would need to look at in your case is if your floor can actually handle the weight and the vibration. Soft surfaces can vibrate more readily than hard surfaces such as concrete. Locate the washing machine in a corner of the room, floor stability is the greatest there. If beams are below the wooden floor, fit a wooden board under the machine and screw it to as many beams as possible. Make sure the unit is perfectly levelled. We usually recommend that the unit is installed in the basement on a concrete floor because that is where there will be most stability.

In regards to the drainage in the seal, we haven't had any complaints of mold issues. As with any front loaders, you do need to follow a few simple maintenance rules. Make sure you wipe down the seal after you're done with your laundry. If you're able to, leave the door ajar for a few hours to make sure it has a chance to dry completely. Once a month, run a hot water cycle without any detergent in your appliance to rid the appliance of any detergent residue you may have. Try to avoid using too much detergent in your washer as well. A little goes a long way with a front loader since they are very low water consumption.

And there are no plans to bring back a 240 V washer in the future in Canada.

I hope this will help in your decision. Please do not hesitate to contact us again in the event that you may require additional information.

Sincerely,

Annie

• moon1234
    13 years ago

I think Bosch is the only company still offering a 240V machine in the US. I really don't understand why Miele stopped? If you have an electric dryer you need 240V anyway. I think the marking people at Miele made a big mistake. 240V is more efficient that 120V too. So they also loose some of the GREEN appeal.

If you are looking at a compact machine also check out the Bosch WAS24460UC. We own this as our second washer. It is a very nice machine, 240V and the washer plugs into the Bosch Dryer (or into the wall) so you only need a single 240V hookup.

Our main washer is the W4840. The only thing that we would have wished for on the W4840 is 240V instead of 120V.

• thezteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Moon, thanks for your comments. What is the max temperature on your Bosch? I'm looking for something that can do a near-boil wash. If the Bosch can, I'll definitely look into it more.

Thanks,
    Lisa

• darex
    13 years ago

I have the pair of Asko W6222/T712.

Flawless performance from both without ANY issues for 4 years and counting.

Very pleased with my choice, although I was restricted to 220V (only) machines (no 120V outlet), and limited space, so that meant these Askos or the Bosch Axxess (or Nexxt? - whichever the smaller one is/was).

It is a second floor installation, and there is ZERO walking and minor vibration for a couple of seconds when transitioning down from 1200 RPM spin. Machines have not budged one millimeter in all this time.

Gasket gets trace soapiness at bottom following a run, but it doesn't retain liquid, and no smells/mold issues.

I would buy my Askos again, based on my excellent 4 years' experience. They are both performing at or beyond my expectations.

• thezteam
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Darex,

Thanks so much for your comments. How do you like the Asko dryer? I have king-sized sheets and am concerned that the 'Butterfly' drying system may not work for them.

Lisa

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

Asko's suspension in all but their XXL series is best-of-class. They had an independent suspension long before others did. Also, the entire interior chassis is physically separated from the outer case so there is no vibration transmitted. You can literally put a glass of wine on your machine while it's spinning at 1,600 RPM or higher without any trouble.

As to the butterfly drying, forget it. Sheets will come out in a ball. The Asko dryer is terrible with sheets, duvets, etc.

• akrogirl
    13 years ago

Miele does still offer 240V machines - you just have to go to their "professional" models, such as the Little Giant. We bought one because we wanted a true under the counter machine with a 240V heater, but with greater capacity than our old Asko.

Our Asko was outstanding from a vibration point of view and gave us twelve plus years of great service.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH