Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
q's about loading sheets in washer/dryer=tangling

Posted by lilafter (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 21:55

after a lifetime of using only TL (mostly in laundromats), i recently became a FL owner- frigidaire affinity set. so far, i'm really happy with the set except i can't figure out how to best wash and dry my sheets without tangling.

with a TL, i loosely layered my clothes/sheets, heavier/bulkier items on the bottom and lighter weighted on top. and then tossed into the dryer after shaking each item. the huge dryer drums dried everything at once without tangling.

with my FL, do i open it and loosely lay it on the bottom or lay on top of the other items?

i've read some people place their sheets folded into the washer and dryer to keep it from tangling.

with the washer, i've tried placing the sheets open and folded. when open- some other items get tangled into the sheets. when washed folded- i wonder if its really getting cleaned...

with the dryer, sheets constantly get tangled. i think its because the drum size is too small. tried folding the sheets but it mostly unfolds and tangles again. the only solution i've found is to split the dryer load if i'm washing a sheet set.

suggestions? thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: q's about loading sheets in washer/dryer=tangling

I try to wash sheets in my Fl with other heavier things. For instance, I'll wash a pair of sheets with a heavy towel or two. Or I'll throw in half a dozen men's dress shirts.

I do absolutely nothing to arrange the load other than making sure that the sheets are actually seperated from each after being pulled off the bed. I load by putting each large piece in individually; for smaller items (T-shirts) I'll grab a bunch and stuff them in together.

I don't have any problem with tangling unless I make the load too big.

I dry sheets on the line, but give them a 5 - 10 minute toss in the dryer beforehand. After pulling the items out of the washer, I re-stuff them in the dryer loosely, not all in a ball from the washer. But other than that I don't find tangling is really an issue.

I think washing the sheets folded would lead to poor cleaning.

To try an untangle the tangling issue I would try these steps: reducing load size, dividing large objects among a couple of loads, and try variations of combining larger, heavier items with sheets until you get to the right combo.

HTH,

Molly

o
RE: q's about loading sheets in washer/dryer=tangling

I bought a Maytag Bravos HE toploading washer in May, and I've washed and dried sheets many times since then. I wash only sheets and pillowcases together, no other items - and I have zero tangling, even less than with my old traditional non-HE toploaders. I use the 'sheets' cycle on the washer, load them as the book says to, and they wash, rinse, and spin beautifully. Same great results with the matching dryer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here