Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deepaandy

Please advise front load washer and dryer

deepaandy
12 years ago

We are renovating an apartment we just bought. There is an older maytag stacked washer/dryer. Architect recommends changing the washer/dryer now. Can anyone recommend a reliable front loading washer/dryer?

Comments (8)

• asolo
    12 years ago

Umm....changing to what, exactly? New stack or side-by-side, new arrangement?

FWIW...architects are architects. Structural/design stuff. What, exactly, does he/she bring to the laundry table? Don't get the influence.

• deepaandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi thanks. will keepit stacked. Just looking to switch out the older units ofr new ones. Looking for advise on a reliable make.

• asolo
    12 years ago

What I'm asking is.....what do you seek in buying new/replacing what exists? Does existing set not perform well, for example, or are you seeking better appearance or....what, exactly?

Not trying to be pedantic. Just wondering about your motivation and source of architect's recommendation. Wondering if recommendation has to do with appearance or performance or what?

Obviously, I'm coming from a place of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".....but I certainly understand other motivations.

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

Even if you were going to keep the old units, you would want to design the laundry area with enough room for newer models, which tend to be deeper (front-to-back dimension).

• deepaandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi - we are doing a gut renovation, and the laundry is going in a closet in the bathroom. It would be a pain to have it replaced if the older washer/dryer are to break. so we are thinking of going ahead and replacing it. I also agree why fix it if it ain't broke, but we bought this place and have no idea if the laundry worked (or how well it worked), and the units have been disconnected, waiting to be put in once bathroom framing etc are in.any experience with Bosch - my appliance salesguy really recommends it highly

• User
    12 years ago

At this time I would steer clear from Bosch at this time because of current problems are starting to show its problems close to the 3-4 year marks according through THS threads and the MFG is closing down their production on some or all laundry machine according through the link below.

No matter what brand of machine you purchase these days, they all will have some type of problems within a 10 year or less period. Your best bet is to look at several big box store reviews, then look at THS threads for further info on the machine that catches your eyes and then check YouTube for likes and dislike on how a machine performs. The info is overwhelming but by then you've made the right choice that fits all of your needs!

I own the E-Lux Wave Touch washer and I do know of the few minor problems with my unit and I'm not ashamed to point them out! I'm not here to influence you by pushing one product over another, but you are the one in the driver seat and you have to live with a machine for the next 10-15 years from now and it's up to you to purchase a machine that makes you happy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch's large machine off the market

• Anceska
    12 years ago

@cleanteamofny, I bought Electrolux Wave about two month ago and so far I am extremely happy with it. But I am curious about the possible flaws. I know this thread is about Bosch but could you elaborate on your experience?

• User
    12 years ago

Anceska,

The two minor flaws:
    Detergent dispenser dispenses detergent in the prewash cycle instead of the main wash every now and then. It really depends on the size of the load if the wash is very heavy and the gasket chaffing. This happens because the machine is overloaded and the drum rubs against the rubber leaving rubber on the door gasket. Technical break-in period but the machine will perform as it should!

There are a few discussion about this in older threads and it is nothing to worry about, if it is one load, just wipe the gasket clean and keep on washing. Now if it happens on several consecutive loads, then I would call for service.

As for the dispenser just wait 4-5 minuets and add detergent to the main wash if detergent gets flushed by the prewash cycle. Still this is minor and with the newer machines, this problem should be rectified because of the many complaints.

Larry.