Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dryer: vent issue or just broken?

Posted by sixcef (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 21:06

Just moved to a great new rental house. Great, that is, except the dryer just doesn't want to dry.

It seems to get hot, but is it hot enough? Putting like one towel in at a time seems to get it dry, but put a normal size load in, and it never really does.

I was about to order a dryer vent cleaning, and the landlord will pay for it. But I don't want to waste her money or my time if it's an issue with the dryer itself.

Is there some way to know for sure what's up?

Thanks so much,
Colin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dryer: vent issue or just broken?

A dryer doesn't have to be especially hot to work as long as it can move moist air out of the machine.

I'd be suspicious of poor venting if you can detect even moderate heat in the dryer. The vent may be blocked or especially dirty. It may not be properly connected. It might also be simply too long and too many bends to allow sufficient air flow.

o

What knot2fast says.

Dryers have recommended vent run lengths, that are in the installation instructions. Each 90 degree bend adds 5 feet of length to your run, by just being there. So if you have 25 feet of venting to the outside but have 2, 90 degree turns you now have the equivalent of a 35 foot run, and it may be too long for your dryer. I don't believe the bend coming out of the dryer counts as one of those 5' penalties though, read the manual if available, or check an on line manual.

You want ridged venting duct work, not corrugated metal or plastics. Metal corrugated is ok for the very short run from the machine to the start of the vent if needed, I believe. If a vent run needs to be longer than the recommended length than an auxiliary fan is needed. In apartment buildings that is often the case because of the location of multiple units.

Get the vent cleaned and see what you think. A cheap fix for a big return.

o

some really good advice, wow.

thanks so much, e & !2f!

-colin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here