Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garoj

New Bosch Nexxt 500 series problems

garoj
17 years ago

After reading this forum I purchased a Next 500 series washer and dryer and pedestals. I upgraded the see-through door dryer. Total cost around $2200 from a local place. First, neither pedestal drawer opened properly. Then the one under the washer stuck open and ball bearings fell onto the floor. The dryer one barely opens. Then I noticed what look like rust spots on the washer drum. The appliance store assured me this is because Bosch ships the washers with water in them in order to keep the seals wet, and they would disappear with the first wash. They haven't. Then we tried to do our first dry, and it simply doesnt' work. The lights come on, there is no error message, and it makes two "clicks," but it doesn't spin. The appliance store tried to tell me to check the fuse (it's fine and worked fine before this). Is this typical Bosch quality? Suggestions? I couldn't get through to Bosch customer service on the phone despite holding for half an hour.

Comments (32)

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Return it immediately for a replacement unit.

• dross
    17 years ago

There should not be rust spots on the washer drum, that is a defect and might eventually lead to snagged clothing. The washers do sometimes ship with water in them, but that does not mean rust. I think your dealer stuck you with a defective machine, but they also sound like they are going to fight you - I'm afraid you are probably going to have to try Bosch again.

This is not the norm for Bosch quality. - DR

• mrsee
    17 years ago

I would return those defective units so fast it would make their heads swim , then request a whole new exact shipment of everthing again. I just recently recieved my Siemens verisons of the Bosch and I have no problems what so ever, Maybe this is just a fluke, I am sure the dealer will be more that willing to exchange. This is unsusal for Bosch.

Please keep us informed Thanks

MR SEE

• garoj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, regarding the pedestals, they are flummoxed and "working on it." The first response was that Bosch changed the size of the drawers; the second (based on the visit of a sales person) was that all the ball bearings were rusted. Supposedly they are ordering new ones, although the first response was only to order drawers.

So then the certified repairman came -- mind you, I've done one washer load and zero dryer loads, but I have a certified repairman here -- and took the dryer apart and I mean apart. After failing to find the source of the problem, he accidentally hit one of the neutral switches and it worked. So, he eventually put it back together, complete with nice gauges in the control panel. Finally got him and the store to agree to fix that, as the store first argued that "that's why you inspect and sign when they arrive...."

Now as for the washer tub, the repairman is calling Bosch. But his first response, as is the store's claim now, is that "it's not rust." Well, that's true, in fact it is pitted. (From the earlier sales/repair guy that came while I was at work, I found a bottle of stain remover that they tried to use). So I"m waiting on Bosch and the store.

I will post further. The latest is that the load I just washed, which was small, never spun more than a couple hundred rpm, and came out wet. Maybe it was too small. In all, this is a very bad experience. You think that if you pay top dollar, you will get quality and service. Apparently that is not the case any more.

• dross
    17 years ago

No amount of money can guarantee you won't have problems with a machine, especially if the dealer is a bad apple. However, the ball is now in Bosch's court to see how they respond to the problem. I hope that you are doing more than phoning them and waiting for callbacks - write them at least, with real (not e-)mail. Don't forget to mention that this is also being discussed on the most active appliance web forum on the net, and the thread will show up on any web search of "Bosch 500".
    If the drum surface is now pitted due to dealer abuse, you should not keep the machine; some time down the road - no doubt after your warranty expires - you will have problems. - DR

• wblynch
    17 years ago

If you bought them with a major credit card you should be able to return them and your card company should back you up.

Why delay? Send them back and do not buy from this seller again.

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

garoj -

Can you by any chance post where you bought the machine, the model numbers, and the serial numbers? Maybe who you have talked to at Bosch if you remember? I would like to personally follow up on your issue with the customer support people.

• rhome410
    17 years ago

I would think that if your appliance dealer was worth ANYthing, they'd get you working, undamaged appliances and then do any dealings with Bosch on their own time and dollar. I'm with everyone who says 'return them.'

• sbaker90
    17 years ago

Most impressive Bsch Chris. The ways of the forum are strong in you.

Seriously, it's nice to see your participation on this forum. It's good for the consumers and the company as a couple of bad experiences by consumers can get a lot of attention from the many information driven consumers searching the net.

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

Thank you sbaker. I know I tend to disappear at times (usually related to work and traveling) but I also appreciate everyone's honest participation in these forums. I hope I can help... without pitching... too much ;-)

• mrsee
    17 years ago

Well, I want to get Pedestals for my Siemens W&D I do not want problems. Bsh chris have you any comments on the Pedestals like who makes them for bosch ect any info would be appreciated. Guess I could go to Best Buy and check them out throughly before I purchase them, so I won't be "Flummoxed" I like that word.thanks garoi ..

MR SEE

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

They are made here in America by a third party contracted by BSH for exclusive production of the pedestals (truthfully, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name the manufacturer per copmany guidelines...) Suffice to say, if they are offered by Bosch we require them to meet our quality standards. In my experience they certainly do. However, if problems arise we must address those. The problem mentioned above is NOT common. That is why I want to track his issues down and see what happened here.

• garoj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I took time off from work to meet someone from the store who was supposed to work on the pedestals, and they didn't show up. So, now it's legal, Better Business Bureau, etc. They said they would not take them back, which is interesting. Thank heavens for Angie's List, at least.

I will also give Bosch the company a chance to make things right, though at this point I would be happy to have nothing to do with Bosch ever again.

• dross
    17 years ago

garoj, please do contact Chris (off-list if necessary) and give the company a chance. So far you've not really dealt with Bosch, just with an unscrupulous dealer. (The minimum wagers who man the Bosch phone lines can't don't really count.) Whatever the outcome, keep us posted. - DR

• garoj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll do that now. I've given the store a week, and will give Bosch a chance as well. (Though they still ahven't responded to my detailed email of last week).

• wblynch
    17 years ago

We received our Bosch Nexxt 500 washer and dryer today on the pedestals.

Lowe's delivered them outside the boxes with the pedestals already attached. The Lowe's guys did not level the washer, only adjusted the feet to make sure it didn't "rock".

That's ok because I like doing this type of thing myself to make sure it's done right.

BUT, I did notice that the drawers of the pedestals do not move smoothly and the ball bearings from the one under the dryer have fallen out !!

I will try to reinsert them myself and see if it's an easy fix. Otherwise Bosch will be getting a call right away.

It seems like the drawer glides are made of cheap cr*p. That's a shame because the machines are of fine quality.

Bosch might do itself a favor and call their suplier on the carpet.

• garoj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Didn't hear from Chris offline so:
    Washer: Model WFMC3301UC/02 FD 8606 900829
    Serial 8560600 844850 08299
    Dryer: WTMC3321 US/03 FD8606 301256
    Serial 8560600 844760 12502
    Gil's Appliance, Bristol, RI
    Any help appreciated.
    Call to Bosch was last Tuesday around 1000

• bsh_chris
    17 years ago

garoj -

I'm truly sorry for your poor experience. I have contacted the cust. service department with your info and I'm going to try to help out personally. I hope I can help, but I also understand your frustration. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything...

Chris

• garoj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, the local dealer, and Bosch, have decided to replace the units. Thank you Chris if you had anything to do with this - I 'm sure it helped. Yesterday I also faxed some of the more egregious details which seemed to make things clearer.

I figured I owed both the dealer and Bosch another shot (plus, the reviews here are genearlly good) so stuck with them although the dealer offered to deliver any brand. I'll report back on what will hopefully be good news on the new pair. Thanks again for the advice and help!

• garoj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The new machines are in and they are basically fine. Three small issues: 1) The washer knocks loudly as it gets to about 2/3 of the way towards its maximum spin speed. Could this be the shipping bolts, or is that unlikely if there is no knocking once it is at full speed? This occurs regardless of the load I have in (i.e., it has happened with every load so far). It seems level. 2) The detergent dispenser door flap is bowed in. Wouldn't mind but for the money... I noticed the one on the showroom floor was the same.

3) The dryer: Bosch should look into a re-design for the hard, sharp plastic pin that points out of , the door (this one has a window). I have a nice gash on my head from bending down to pick up clothes and having the door, with its nice spring-loaded hinges, close over the top of me.

• kc5165
    17 years ago

I have had the same problems witrh Bosch. When I bought a new home last year, we went to the appliance store and decided on the Bosch Nexxt 6400 washer and dryer with pedestals. The units were delivered and two shipping bolts were left. The result was violent banging on the spin cycle and the applance store replacing the unit due to their error. Machine number two arrived and suffered from excessive vibration. It also sounded like a 747 was idling in my laundry room. After two service trips, the machine was diagnosed with a bad bearing. I fought with Bosch for a week but they would not replace the machine. They insisted that a service company respond and replace the bearing on site. I argued with the appliance store and they said that their hands were tied. In the end, the appliannce store replaced the machine because the repair parts were on a 6-8 week back order. The third machine arrived and quickly developed excessive vibration and movement across the floor. It was diagnosed with a bad shock absorber which was changed by the service company. Some vibrations remain, but the serviceman said that it wasn't getting any better. (he told me that if your laundry room doesn't have a concrete floor, you should not buy this unit. I have a basemet below my laundry room and my whole house vibrates during the spin cycle). Now, the fine machine has started to leak. I am waiting for the extended warranty company to come to diagnose the latest in a series of mishaps.

I also had the pedestal problem with the ball bearings escaping from the track. I don't use the drawers and am going to remove the pedestals to decrease vibrations.

All in all I am sickened by the amount of money that was spent, considering the quality of the product. I should have got a $300 Hotpoint. I hope your experience will be better than mine and wish you luck.

• dross
    17 years ago

garoj, the knocking is likely just a slight off-level problem.

I don't know what you mean by "bowed in" - you mean the flap itself is warped? - DR

• frankie57
    17 years ago

hmmm....very interesting thread. I have knocking problems that have just started with my new 7 1/2 week old Bosch 500 Nexxt also. But I'm not to sure if it was caused by a uneducated repair guy or what. I had vibration problems, when I first got it and waited 5 1/2 weeks for the ding dong repair guy to order the right amount of legs (I guess he can't count) when he put them on he used a 5" block of wood to tilt the the machine back then forward to install the new legs. I should mention that the repair guy called Bosch tech who told him to order & install the new feet that that should solve the problem. After he left the vibrations seemed worse and the knocking started. The knocking noise happens when it's ramping up and braking to slow down. Also seemed to me it was having more troubles than usual balancing before spinning. So, I called Bosch asked them if these issues could have happened from the repair guy titling the machine without re-installing the shipping bolts. Bosch said, yes it could be possible and suggested I called a different repair shop. So, I call another repair shop, this guy knows what he's doing finally, he discovers that one of the struts is worn out, bad and needs replaced. The machine is only 6 weeks old!!!!! I wait another 1 1/2 weeks for the new struts he put them on yesterday and it is still knocking, the struts didn't fix the problem. The repair guy says that he isn't to sure what it would be but it is definetly not normal. He did call Bosch later and Bosch told him that the knocking is probably due to the rubber feet, which Bosch originally said would take care of the vibration problems. I have a hard time believing it is because of the feet, I called Lowes told them the whole story, they ordered me a new machine which will be delivered next week. I have had this machine for 7 1/2 weeks it has never operated properly. It does concern me that the struts went out within 6 weeks, there are only 2 of us so I don't do much laundry so there is no way I could have worn those out that soon. I haven't given up hope yet, before the struts going out and the knocking noise, even if I was having vibrations issues, I really do like the machine. I'm just hoping that it is a "lemon" and the new machine will be fine. Oh, I forgot to mention that the first repair guy noticed when he was putting on the new feet that the back legs weren't tighten down by the Lowes delivery guys. Maybe that was the cause of the vibration problem to begin with. Wonder if vibration could do enough damage shaking to make the struts go out and the knocking since a few of us have experienced the same problems? I don't want to make it sound like Bosch is bad, there are many many people on this forum that are very happy Bosch owners, thats why I choose Bosch in the first place. I'm still hoping that I can be a happy Bosch owner also. Maybe the new 500 had a few kinks in them that didn't get worked out?

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Frankie, when the Lowe's guys brought our Nexxt 500 last Sunday all they did was adjust the feet so the machine was not "rocking". They did not level the machine.

I had full intention of relevelling it myself anyway so I just let them go on their way.

But if I wasn't such a DIY'er I would have handed them the level and insisted that they get it right.

When your new machine arrives make sure they remove all the shipping bolts, properly level the washer and lock all the feet by tightening the lock nuts against the frame.

If you don't have at least a two foot level get ahold of one before they come back because they probably won't have one with them.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

As others have reported, I had problems with the drawer glides in the pedestals for our new Nexxt 500 washer and dryer.

This is what I learned and how I solved the problem...

First of all if you remove the drawers (lift the black locking levers on either side of the drawer to release and remove) you will be able to see the glides on the inner side frames of the pedestals.

The glides have a little bracket with a dozen or more little tabs on the top and bottom that contain the ball bearings. I was able to reinsert all the fallen bearings with the aid of a small flat screwdriver to "pop" them back in their little holes.

The tabs were bent up which is why the ball bearings were able to escape. After replacing them, I then used pliers to tighten the tabs to the rails which would now hold everything together. Don't bend them too far or the balls will push through and pop out. The tabs and the bracket are designed to just hold the bearings in and allow them to freely roll.

Then I noticed the REAL cause, the side rails on the drawers themselves were all out of alignment.

If you flip the drawers over (place a towel down so you don't scratch the metal front) you can see the metal rails on each side and three TORX screws that hold the rails to the drawers.

Loosening these screws allows the rails to be adjusted. I adjusted each rail to its outermost position and tightened all the screws. (of course you don't want to overtighten and strip out the plastic).

Then I reinserted the drawers, making very sure that the rails were properly in the glides and closed the drawers to lock them to the glides.

Believe me, fixing them took way less time than typing this description.

I know it's a pain in the butt to have to do this to new, expensive equipment but I am convinced that if I placed a service call whoever they sent out would most likely be clueless and the end result would be they would order all new pedestals and have to install them. That's a very expensive process compared to a 10 minute fix.

And, the new pedestals would probably be no better than the originals.

It is my opinion that the supplier of these pedestals to Bosch is some cheap-*ss company that tried to make extra profit by skimping on the glide assembly and have produced an inferior part.

I may send a letter to Bosch requesting them to look into the shoddy workmanship. Or maybe not. Hell, I can't be doing ALL their work for them.

If they lose sales and suffer customer dissatisfaction due to their indifference to the pedestals then maybe they get what they deserve?

Either way, the machines themselves have been great for the first week and maybe 35 loads of laundry. We are very satisfied.

Thanks, Bill

• michellesg
    17 years ago

Wow Bill, and the pedestals were what, $169 each? It's just 1 drawer, you'd think it'd work. That's pretty sad.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Yeah it's sad but I gotta please Jane and it only took me 15 minutes.

The pedestals suck but the machines are great.

• karen2975
    17 years ago

Bosch Great machines when they work ~~~Bosch Service is the WORST
    Dec 18 '06

Pros
    When they work they can't be beat!

Cons
    Don't count on Bosch to help if you have a problem.

The Bottom Line
    Wouldn't buy as the company doesn't respond to problems.

Full Review
    The following is a copy of some of my correspondence with Bosch.
    They don't do a thing and now I've filled a small claims action.

I need to have someone follow through and come and assess these machines.
    I am now going to a Laundromat and need some action.
    I AM DEMANDING REPLACEMENT MACHINES.
    Enough is enough.

To whom it may concern;

I spoke with a customer representative this morning by name of Anita (when I called 800 578 6890) and I must let you know how impressed I was with her promptness, professionalism and willingness to assist.
    The technician who has been dealing with the problems at this end is also a very diligent and concerned professional (although I think he is getting a bit frustrated).

I purchased a Bosh Next Washer WFMC6400uc serial #FD8411300138 and Dryer WTMC6500uc serial# FD8411300138 from Expo in Woburn which were delivered to my home on 2/4/05.
    I researched washers and dryers and wanted the best and was convinced that was what I bought.

Initially I had some problems which after consulting with your service department moved the appliances and reinforced the floor from below, at considerable expense, but the problems continued and still do.

I finally received a visit early in March of 2006 from your BSH Home Appliance Co. I believe the technicians name was Kahli Jackson, he could not have been nicer and certainly was, and continues to be anxious to resolve the issues
    He returned on the 14th of March with parts and has been back at least four times since. He basically has replaced about everything he could and the problems still continue.

My issue is that because these machines have been assembled and disassembled so many times , they are now loose, still NOT operating properly, the small screw cover caps are constantly popping off and there is another crack in the front panel of the washer ( panel was ordered and is in).

I am meant to call BSH so that they can come back and replace more parts however both machines have started to act up again.

The dryer is up to its old tricks; defaults to damp dry after a minute or so and the washer intermittently refuses to pump all of the water out.

I had the water hoses, vent pipe and discharge hose checked and cleaned (at my expense) to no avail.

I now believe it would be in every ones best interest to replace the machines with new ones, as the cost, to you to continue to supply and install new parts and the time I must take waiting for the service Technician, and going to the Laundromat seems to out weigh the cost of just starting with new machines.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Recommended:
    No

Amount Paid (US$): 1984.00

• scotty_1
    17 years ago

I know this is a little off topic. This Message is for bsh_chris. Can you E-mail me? I have an interesting question you may get a kick out of. scotty_1_@excite.com

Scott

• sshrivastava
    17 years ago

I had been considering Bosch as a higher capacity replacement for my Asko set, but after reading this thread I think I will steer clear of Bosch. I'm very big on getting excellent service if something went wrong, and it sounds like Bosch couildn't care less -- lots of "well call another service facility". Um, isn't the dispatching of repair techs a centralized operation at Bosch? That's how Miele does it, and I can't imagine a better system.

I think I'll wait for the higher capacity Miele unit to hit next year.

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

Purchasing from a reputable dealer is every bit as important as obtaining service and parts. There are plenty of threads with Lowes, Home Depots, and Best Buy woes. If your machines are that new, you should have simply returned them. Sounds like your local dealer is a you know.

• dross
    17 years ago

sshriv, you'll notice that the poster had no problems getting service people to come look at her machine. As you know from participating on this forum, with almost all the other brands, when there is a problem you often can't even get that far! We don't have enough information to know what karen's problem is - but if the machine was simply a lemon (as seems to be the case), this could have been respolved by buying from a dealer with a good return policy. - DR

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations