Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advise: New Maytag or LG Front-Loader

Posted by Bravos4me (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 20:16

I've been a lurker here for months, but now find myself needing to buy a new set that can stack. Nothing excites me about what's available, but I've narrowed it down to the Maytag MHW6000, which is Direct Drive, Maytag MHWE950, which is Belt Drive, and either the LG WM2350 or WM3360, both Direct Drive.

The LGs seem to differ only in drum size (3.7 vs. 3.9), and some features, but appear to be built on the same platform. The Maytags, on the other hand, are totally different machines. The belt drive model (which is slightly smaller), may be one that I've read about here that is German-built; can anyone confirm that? Where the 2 Maytags are such different systems, I was hoping someone here could tell me why I'd want one over the other. Is direct-drive preferable to belt-drive, or vice-versa, and if so, why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advise: New Maytag or LG Front-Loader

Try the home depot forum on this subject. I understand people ended up with the motors on the Maytags dying due to a penny getting in the motor. But, I don't know I have the LG, but the water level is not high enough to suit me. I should have gotten the Maytag, I guess, but they cost more. I would like to know the difference, so far the LG did not break down, but it make awful noises when the lode is unbalanced and it sure sound like it is about to break down.

o

A penny is highly unlikely to get into a washing machine's motor when the motor is *outside* the tub.

o

Read the reliability ratings on LG front loaders if you haven't already bought. My mil's broke just after a year (warranty was up) and was very costly to repair. After reading online found that LG's reliability on front loaders wasn't so hot.

o

LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG!

I think you should go with the LG. LOVE mine and every appliance down to our cell phones that are LG.

o

Let me put it this way - A Maytag of any kind will never find it's way into my house again! Used to be the best on the planet - now about the worst. 12 years ago when we moved in we speced all Maytag. Within about 8 years we had replaced everything. Try the LG, it couldn't possibly be worse.

o

Maytag of 12 years ago is not Maytag of today.

o

LG for last 6 years.....Great washer when it works....However...
The "LE Error code" almost ended it's career however, I was able to fix it all by myself with the help of many great internet post on how to change out the Hall sensor and how to clean out the water port up front that tends to get clogged....also had to un-plug and replug in the main board

o

Of course not, it's now a Whirlpool in disguise. Same trash

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here