Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackhound_gw

Dryer recommendations for second floor with floodtray

blackhound
12 years ago

I have a 20 year old Maytag DE382 that is showing it's age. The timer is hit or miss. Replacing the timer would be about $150.00, which I am considering, but I would also like a more energy efficient dryer and one with a larger drum capacity.

The dryer is on the second floor behind louvered doors sitting on a floodtray with the washer.

The old Maytag is 26.5" deep (flatback) + about 5-6" for the vent stack. The tray is 35" deep. The selection of flatback dryers is pretty limited. At least that I have been able to find. And truthfully, with what I've found so far in the flatback range, I don't see any advantage to buying a new one over repairing the old Maytag. I was hoping to find a new model that had some updated features and better energy efficiency but that's not the case with the available flatbacks.

The smallest humpback I've found is a 28" deep Maytag. (I'm not a total devotee of the brand it just seems to be working out that way.) It does have some nice features and better efficiency, larger capacity, and seriously important for me, good ergonomics for loading and unloading.

It would probably squeak into the space but be flush tight against the front of the tray. The louver doors should clear it with no problem, but when the doors are opened it is questionable just how far open I would be able to get the dryer door open before it hit the folded back louvers. And that all assumes that the measurements are dead on. It could just as easily be an half-inch to large to fit properly.

After that long-winded exposition, my question is this? Does anyone have any recommendations for flatback electric dryers? Or know of any humpback dryers that have some of the standard depth shaved off?

Thanks,

BH

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio