Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dryer recommendations for second floor with floodtray

Posted by blackhound (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 19:35

I have a 20 year old Maytag DE382 that is showing it's age. The timer is hit or miss. Replacing the timer would be about $150.00, which I am considering, but I would also like a more energy efficient dryer and one with a larger drum capacity.

The dryer is on the second floor behind louvered doors sitting on a floodtray with the washer.

The old Maytag is 26.5" deep (flatback) + about 5-6" for the vent stack. The tray is 35" deep. The selection of flatback dryers is pretty limited. At least that I have been able to find. And truthfully, with what I've found so far in the flatback range, I don't see any advantage to buying a new one over repairing the old Maytag. I was hoping to find a new model that had some updated features and better energy efficiency but that's not the case with the available flatbacks.

The smallest humpback I've found is a 28" deep Maytag. (I'm not a total devotee of the brand it just seems to be working out that way.) It does have some nice features and better efficiency, larger capacity, and seriously important for me, good ergonomics for loading and unloading.

It would probably squeak into the space but be flush tight against the front of the tray. The louver doors should clear it with no problem, but when the doors are opened it is questionable just how far open I would be able to get the dryer door open before it hit the folded back louvers. And that all assumes that the measurements are dead on. It could just as easily be an half-inch to large to fit properly.

After that long-winded exposition, my question is this? Does anyone have any recommendations for flatback electric dryers? Or know of any humpback dryers that have some of the standard depth shaved off?

Thanks,

BH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dryer recommendations for second floor with floodtray

AFAIK, Maytag Bravos does not need a flood tray. I have read many, many positive reports from people who've bought it for their upper story laundry rooms because it is so stable, has so little vibration, and does a great job on laundry. My 850 model also has an internal water heater, which means it provides true hot or warm water if needed. This is something which was/is very important for us.

o

" ... Maytag Bravos does not need a flood tray ... "

I'm confused by this statement. OP is talking about dryers. Are you saying the Bravos washer doesn't need a flood tray??

I assume his/her flood tray is for their washer (as they don't want a flood) but he/she is looking for a new dryer to fit in the existing space.

And why wouldn't a Bravos washer benefit from a flood tray? Does it have built in flood control mechanisms like Bosch or Miele?

OP, have you considered Speed Queen? I'm not 100% on what a "flat back" refers to but SQ makes dryers that look to be 28" deep.

This brand seems to be popular among those who want an "old fashioned", no nonsense, well built machine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen - dryers

o

livebetter, I didn't read carefully, didn't realize the OP was about a dryer. I mainly noticed the word "floodtray". ::blushing::

OP, my Bravos dryer is excellent in every way. If it would fit into your space, I would recommend it.

o

@livebetter: A flat back is just that. The back of the dryer is flat. It's apparently an older design feature that isn't used with the more recent configuration of dryers. Most have a humped back so they require more space for installation.

I checked out the Maytag Bravos today and found one that fit all my needs! It is just shy of 7 cu ft, has a great ergonomic door and opening, moisture sensor, energy efficiency and is a flat back!

Thanks for the recommendation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here