Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cleaninglady2

should I see suds?

cleaninglady2
14 years ago

I have a samsung 448 adn I dont see much of any water but I definirlty dont see any suds and I am using 2 tbs of tide He powder should I be using more ?

Comments (16)

• dadoes
    14 years ago

Don't rely on the presence or absence of suds as a dosage indicator, particularly with HE detergents. More important is whether your clothes are getting acceptably clean, and continue to do so over a period of time. The prescribed dose of Tide HE powder is 1/2 a measured cup (4 oz.) for a medium size normal-soiled load, up to 7/8 measured cup (7 oz.) for a large heavily-soiled load. Two tablespoons is only 1/8 measured cup (2 oz.). If you have very soft water and/or wash small loads, that may be OK.

Using Tide and Gain HE powders, 1/2 cup, I see some sudsing and frothy water at the start of wash while the machine is filling, then not as much after the load is saturated and the proper water level is reached.

• cynic
    14 years ago

So many people use way more detergent than they need to these days. Especially with the concentrating of the formulas it's easy to overdose. The manufacturers love it. But as dadoes said, the big question is whether your clothes are getting clean. Many people, especially a number of laundromaniacs on the forum get their clothes especially grubby and don't realize that many people don't get their clothes that dirty these days. It's not like the days of coming in from the fields on a dry, dusty, windy day, well actually, using the same clothes for a week! Yep, they need more detergent than someone who wore something in moderate weather, sitting at a desk and not breaking a sweat.

Keep in mind that suds don't clean anything. Suds are wasted soap so it's literally money down the drain.

• cleaninglady2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

is there any way to force more water into these machines ? It feels like there is not enough to get the stuff clean .The clothing soaks it all up .

• dadoes
    14 years ago

The machine fills with sufficient water to saturate the clothes to dripping-wet and trigger its water level sensor. If the clothes ARE getting clean, then it is enough. The wash action in these new HE frontloaders works by way of the saturated wet clothes slapping against the drum and swishing through a small puddle. They're not designed to operate with the drum half-filled with water as in years past.

• User
    14 years ago

Your machine is working fine, just open the door and there should be enough water to get the load clean.
    Some splashing against the door maybe seen with a few soap suds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Proper Suds Level

• User
    14 years ago

Your machine is working fine, just open the door and there should be enough water to get the load clean.
    Some splashing against the door maybe seen with a few soap suds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Proper Suds Level

• cleaninglady2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

he seemed use an awful lot of soap did you see how much was in that scoop? I was told 2 tbs of powder. Either Im not using near enough or hes using way to much.

• User
    14 years ago

I believe you are not using enough.
    The suds did not build up during the cycle so that is not not a problem,
    if not enough detergent being used will cause the graying of whites.
    I do feel comfortable using Tide HE and the amounts will vary from load to load.
    Now if I use pre wash during that load, then less would be used for the main wash.

Touch and feel your water after 5 Min's and adjust detergent use.
    It takes time to get to know your machine and I would steer clear from Cheer HE liquid for it suds up badly.

Oh yea, 2 TBS is for those who not sure how much detergent to use.
    It's a starting point and not gospel for I know my soil level and water conditions.
    Remember every machine is different and tub and load size will pose a major factor how much detergent should be used.

• User
    14 years ago

If you click on the link and scroll down, you will see a side by side wash cloth comparison and also a picture of my old top loader that I'm still using just for soaking or washing car rags. And yes I did use Tide with Bleach, STTP and LCB on those hand towels in my TOL Sears Kenmore Electronic 90 Series and they got cleaned but not Tide HE clean in the Electrolux Wave Touch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand towel compairson

• dadoes
    14 years ago

CleaningLady2,

Two tablespoons (approx 1/8 cup) may be an appropriate dose of 2x or 3x concentrated detergent, such as some of the HE liquids. Tide HE powder is not 2x or 3x concentrated, two tablespoons is not enough except maybe for a very small load of a few items that only need refreshing. I measure with 1 oz. scoops saved from canisters of powdered drink mix and OxyClean. I never use less than 3 scoops, roughly equivalent to 6 tablespoons. Four to six scoops for large loads. My machine is a high-efficiency Calypso toploader, which has more water action than CleanTeam's Electrolux, so I see a little more suds. If I pause the cycle, the suds quickly dissipate.

• cleaninglady2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

but you have a top loader. You think 2 tb of he tide is still not enought for a front loader?

• dadoes
    14 years ago

The Calypso is a toploader, but it's an HE (high-efficiency) machine. The clothes are not submerged and agitated, they bounce around under the water shower. Here's a picture (sorry for the bad focus) of how much water is really in the tub beyond what the clothes absorb. There's a little more than it seems, in a pump sump at back of the tub ... but it's still not much in total, comparable to a frontloader. Actually, now that I recall, the picture shows the final rinse level after the softener dispenser is flushed. The wash water level is LOWER.

Again, don't be concerned with suds. If your clothes ARE getting clean and don't turn dingy over time and your machine doesn't go to smelling sour, then perhaps under YOUR laundry conditions, two tablespoons is OK. I know it wouldn't work for me, not two tablespoons of Tide HE powder, no way. Now, on the occasion when I use a 2X concentrated HE liquid such as All then the measured dose (with the product's cap) may be around 2 to 2.5 tablespoons.

• cleaninglady2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ive also been told to only use powder no liquid what are your feelings on that ?

• User
    14 years ago

It really doesn't matter, but the best detergent cleaning performance is done with powders.
    Liquids can be used for light soiled loads or if your cold water temp in your area is lower than 60* during the fall/winter months.

• Tracey_OH
    14 years ago

I have a basic GE frontloader and for a full load, I use more like 4-6 T of powder depending on how stained the kids clothes are. For a very full load using HE liquid, I use at least to line 2 on the cap. The only exception for this is towels because they seem to need less detergent.

Tracey

• dualref
    14 years ago

I have found that the use of liquid detergents over time can lead to a detergent build up residue inside the outer tub of the washer. This can also lead to odors in the unit.
    We always use powdered detergent now to eliminate this problem.