Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LG washer pounding noise

Posted by occc (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 24, 09 at 19:17

Hi,
We just bought an LG front loader and were having huge problems with water hammer as it filled - the whole house seemed to shake (we have high water pressure - separate issue) I just want to post here as I spent a long time searching and I found a simple way of fixing it just before I returned the machine. Buy a water hammer arrestor - basically it is a shock absorber for water pressure.
I bought two (from amazon just as my local hardware store did not have them; for about 10-15$ each)and the problem was gone.
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Surge-Shock-Absorber-660-H/dp/B000H5MQNM/ref=pd_cp_hi_0
but there may be better/cheaper ones out there - I just did not have the inclination to spend more time on it.

Since I often search here first and I was unable to find a posting, I wanted to mention this to anyone else with this issue as it is really easy to fix, but really frustrating while it is happening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LG washer pounding noise

Common problem on newer washers ...

Even if you have the older "Water Hammer Arresters" (a built-in vertical stub of pipe) near the washer water supply pipes.

Sometimes the air inside gets "lost" (absorbed into the water).

You'll need to turn off the house main water supply.
Then open an upstairs H&C water faucets, and then the hoses by the washer, to drain the water out of the pipes (and thereby, the arresters).

Then close everything back up, and turn on the house main water supply.

You'll need to purge the air out of most of the household faucets by letting them run for a few minutes.

The older style Water Hammer Arrestors don't work very well (no rubber bladder).

May need to be purged every few months..

New style
Lowe's $ 10
you'll need one for each Water Hose ...
click on picture

o

We're having this problem, and our contractors haven't been able to fix it. Are there any others out there who have experienced this and found solutions?

So far we've tried a water hammer arrester, changing out the hose from the wall to machine for shorter (4-foot) hoses, and now we're trying a garden hose from the flush outlet on the hot water heater directly to the washer. (Following the guidance at http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=4415.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

o

> So far we've tried a water hammer arrester

One on each Hot & Cold water supply ?

The closer to the Washing machine, the better.

The ones pictured above connect directly to the Water Input Vales of the Washer.

Works great on my LG WM2688

o

My new LG produces so much water hammer it has shaken the pipes off their brackets. Basically I have to tear down a bunch of drywall and reattach the water lines. Good luck trying to get LG or the retailer to repair your plumbing. Water hammer is a very serious problem. I also tried arresters. They didn't do anything. I have an expansion tank on my cold waterline too. The fact is the valves in the washer close to fast. That is what causes water hammer! But LG won't fix or replace. Anyone know how to file a class action lawsuit?

o

"Sorry.... The person you were looking for doesn't exist."

"I also tried arresters. They didn't do anything. I have an expansion tank on my cold waterline too."

If you do, in fact exist, I'm thinking something's going on other than the valves closing "to fast". Hard to tell from cyber-distance.

o

Well asolo, what do you think is going on then. The retailer has had several complaints about this washer, it's not just me. Also I do hold a Minnesota plumbing code card. I am not saying I know everything, but water hammer is caused by closing valves to fast. I was testing a 36 in. water main and closed the 3/4 in. valve that I was pumping thru to fast, and I blew the 36 in pipe apart. Also I don't know why it says I don't exist.

o

Sounds like you're better educated about such things than I.

Used to sell industrial pumps and valves so have some background. Actuation speeds were always a consideration among the customers we serviced -- because of the risk of damaging hammer in many applications. However, it seems to me you would have as good a perspective on this household situation as anyone.

The thing I mostly don't get is how the arrestors and/or expansion tank, assuming properly installed and maintained, could fail to eliminate the condition instantly and permanently. Household line size and pressure are typically at levels that such simple measures pretty much work all the time for such hammer as can occur. Also, I've never known residential hammer to be of a magnitude that tore pipes loose, so this must really be something special. Do you know your household water pressure?

Would be interested to witness what you've described. Find it hard to accept the idea that LG's solenoid valves would be effectively "faster" than anyone elses. Obviously don't know.....but would like to.

o

I think we experienced "water hammer" before. It souded like you described. Every time we turned any faucet on and off it would shake at least 1/2 of the house, making vibration noises etc. Even during night when nothing was in use. It got so bad that every time our neighbor on left side next to us used water, our house was affected too! It took me a month to figure it out. I thought I have to call a plumber but what I found was just too simple. One of our bathroom's toilet had little leak. Inside of the toilet the rubber ring dripped just enough water to cause this noise. One night I went in the bathroom to file my nail and I heard the little drop so I listened. We replaced the rubber "O ring" under the stopper and it stopped.
I have no idea if I was just lucky enough but since that we had no problems. After I found out on line that leak like this has something to do w/pressure in water pipes.
I'm glad I didn't have to call plumber, he would take us to the cleaners with all sorts of BS.
Check for toilet for drips and leaks, you never know, it migh be the same thing.
P.S. Yes our noise started shortly after we gotour LG. Perhaps the ON/OFF action caused pressure in the pipe that affect the toilet o ring. I don't know but we are fine since.

o

We had the same problem when we first got our LG Washer.

I installed one of these on each of the Water Valve inputs AT THE Washer.
click on picture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here