Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
occc_gw

LG washer pounding noise

occc
14 years ago

Hi,

We just bought an LG front loader and were having huge problems with water hammer as it filled - the whole house seemed to shake (we have high water pressure - separate issue) I just want to post here as I spent a long time searching and I found a simple way of fixing it just before I returned the machine. Buy a water hammer arrestor - basically it is a shock absorber for water pressure.

I bought two (from amazon just as my local hardware store did not have them; for about 10-15$ each)and the problem was gone.

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Surge-Shock-Absorber-660-H/dp/B000H5MQNM/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

but there may be better/cheaper ones out there - I just did not have the inclination to spend more time on it.

Since I often search here first and I was unable to find a posting, I wanted to mention this to anyone else with this issue as it is really easy to fix, but really frustrating while it is happening.

Comments (67)

• dadoes
    8 years ago

"Georgect do you think it could be the solenoid expansion valve?"

What is a solenoid expansion valve? I've never heard of a washer having an expansion valve. They do have solenoids on the water inlet valves, which are electrical/magnetic devices that function to turn the the water flow on or off. The valve design, not the solenoid can be related to water hammer. Some valves are designed for a soft or slow shut-off to minimize hammer, others shut off quickly/abruptly which will cause it. It's unlikely replacing the inlet valve assembly (which includes the solenoids) will solve the problem unless the original valve is faulty, or the replacement has been redesigned.

• dadoes
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ahh. Further Googling indicates that's apparently an expansion valve for an air conditioner, not a washing machine part.

What's the model number of your washer?

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

I don't have any special knowledge of plumbing, but I'll throw this in: A properly sized and installed water hammer arrestor has to work, doesn't it? Maybe the cheap user-installed arrestors at the big box stores aren't the right ones for this application. Judging from the reviews they don't work for everyone.

• Brooke Barrett
    7 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We have spent over $1500 in plumbing "fixes" before I googled LG & water hammer. My story is pretty much the same as everyone else's and the store we purchased from is refusing to honor the extended warranty to allow us to get a new washer. They have also lied about the services performed on our unit.

We have a second laundry with an Electrolux set and no issues!

We are getting an attorney to deal with the store on the warranty and I have started talking to national firms involved with product liability to bring a class action on this issue. I can't believe no one has done it yet and that this has been going on for so long! (Saw other forums where folks have had this problem since 2006/7!?!) We are not litigious as a family, but I am furious that no one is taking responsibility after all this time and resolving it. LG knows that they have a problem and could care less; so we're gonna make them care.

If you'd like to stay updated or get involved, here is a google form to fill out with your contact info:

http://goo.gl/forms/fv6sZTW2i9baU18s2

I can't promise anything will come of this, but we're working on it! I can promise that I will keep your info confidential and only pass it onto counsel if we're able to secure someone to take this on.

This firm in Arkansas also had a post about it on their site: https://attorneygroup.com/blog/lg-water-hammer-lawsuit/

Here's hoping we can resolve this! -Brooke

• practigal
    7 years ago

Brooke, just make sure that you aren't paying the attty for their work other than out of the proceeds of the recovery, if there is one. If you get nothing in the end that you don't end up owing the atty.

• User
    7 years ago

Posted this on the Consumer Report forum, which is closing down, so to keep it alive I'm re-posting it here:

I am disappointed, no - disgusted with LG. With their
    products and with their customer service (or the lack thereof.)

My WM2016 front-load washing machine has exhibited
    significant water hammer ever since I purchased it.

I have tried everything LG recommended, everything my
    plumber recommended, everything the local water department recommended and
    everything recommended in all of the websites I have visited to fix it and
    NOTHING has worked.

First, I installed it with stainless steel hoses and then reverted
    back to the rubber hoses as recommended by LG – didn’t work.

Then I installed Sioux Chief hammer arrestors as recommended
    by LG, first on one end of the inlet hose and then on both ends – didn’t work.

I then bled the pipes as recommended by LG, twice – didn’t
    work

Then I called in my plumber who advised me I’d be wasting my
    time and money bleeding them again because the
    problem was in the washing machine
    . Nevertheless I spent the money – didn’t
    fix the problem.

I then called our water department to talk about water
    pressure and was advised it is set to 68 PSI. The engineer who came out said the problem was in the washing machine
    but suggested we try a reduction valve set to 40 PSI on the supply line to the
    washing machine. After borrowing a council reduction valve and spending $100 on
    fittings and another visit from the plumber to install it, we tried this –
    didn’t work.

The bottom line is LG
    HAS A PROBLEM BUT REFUSES TO ADMIT IT OR TO CORRECT IT

I don’t know what else to do other than take the washing
    machine to the local dump. I do know if I experience a problem with my plumbing
    (burst/leaking water pipes) I am going to sue LG, using my experience and the
    hundreds of online complaints about this problem as evidence of their
    culpability (in fact, I’m surprised no one has started a class action suit
    against them already.)

Addendum to my last post: read in another forum that
    reducing the water pressure to approx.. 25 PSI would cure the problem - tried
    this and it worked. No hammering in the water pipes but now I need to do a few
    wash cycles to make sure the machine is getting clothes clean. Stay tuned.

• georgect
    7 years ago

@barrie_hunter...

Sorry to hear about your troubles with LG and water hammer.

25 PSI is ridiculously low water pressure. Normal is considered to be between 30 and 80 PSI.

We've talked about it extensively here. For some reason LG doesn't think this is an issue but for the owners of their washers it can have a profound affect on house hold plumbing. Even causing damage to plumbing and or water damage from bursting pipes.

I would ditch the LG and go with an Electrolux or Whirlpool (I can't recommend Samsung either).

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Why the rant now? You obviously were annoyed with this problem from the time you bought and installed the machine. You simply should have returned it and bought something else. After all LG or the retailer didn't force you to purchase and keep a product your not satisfied with!

If you have had plumbers, installed arrestors, pressure reducing valves, and all the other remedies you listed, then you have got serious pipeing and plumbing issues. I don't disagree with the fact, LG's implementation of that pulse fill and, or the pressure limiting valves used have notoriously exaggerated this issue on several generations of their machines. It's obviously not a product liability issue, but an engineering design issue, otherwise it would have been corrected long ago.

Good luck with the atty, but IMHO your wasting your money. Go buy another brand of machine and call it a day!

• User
    7 years ago

Dont understand your comments. You make the assumption that this machine was bad from day one - it wasn't. It worked well for a year plus and then got worse and worse. And you obviously didn't read my comments carefully - the plumber and the engineer from the water department both agreed my pipes are fine and the problem is in the machine.

And Im sorry you feel that it was a rant - I felt it important to try and clear up all the mistakes and missinformation that exists on the web about what causes and how to correct a water hammer problem by detailing my experience. I guess you didn't see it that way.

And finally, LG's response to my post (which I sent to their Customer Service people) was that 25 PSI is fine but don't go any lower, however THEY STILL REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THESE MACHINES.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I'm confused..Hunter..you had no water hammer problem for the first year?

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I thought the water hammer that some people experience with LG was a issue from day one and not something that developed over time???

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

If you're going to have a water hammer issue on LG it is present from day one. It does not appear more than a year later,UNLESS something has changed with your plumbing or water pressure.

My conclusion is you need a new plumber and water hammer arrestors at the machine which will correct any hammer issue you have. I don't believe they don't work. I have an LG and have arrestors which do work.

They can change the solenoid fill valve on the machine, but that won't correct the problem.

Unless your lawsuit happy, sell the thing and purchase another brand. Problem solved! What outcome or resolution are you seeking? Replacement or service will not eliminate the water hammer problem with your machine.

From a legal perspective it would be very difficult to prove the LG machines themselves are at fault. You would spend far more money proving your plumbing system isn't at fault, and in the end they would likely win. Not everyone experiences water hammer issues. It almost always reverts back to the plumbing and water distribution system in the building.

• Brooke Barrett
    7 years ago

To RPS, you're actually wrong, on all counts. And there is a class action suit in the works because this is a design flaw on the machine that LG hasn't remedied. Thanks, but I'll take the advice of the three plumbers we've had consult on this and LG's dodging of the issue. If anyone here wants more info on the attorneys taking this on, please let me know or fill out the google form at the link in my earlier post!

Thanks, Practicgal, no intention of paying upfront (beyond all the money we've expended, already!). We are also going after our local appliance company for failing to honor their service warranty, as well, so we're firing on two fronts.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

What do you say about no issues the first year, in regards to the water hammer? When I read reviews it was instant...starting from the first load. I never read any that started a year after using the LG.

• shareon38
    7 years ago

Thank you to all the people posting their experiences with LG Washing Machines. Let's keep it going and update any information regarding the lawsuit.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

I'm surprised at the attacks and anger here. barrie_hunter clearly said in his/her initial post that "My WM2016 front-load washing machine has exhibited
    significant water hammer ever since I purchased it.
    "

A design
    "choice" can be a design "flaw" that leads to corrections. Maytag, for
    example, enacted numerous design changes on the Neptune frontloader to
    correct specific problems, enact improvements, and increase
    reliability. Same for Whirlpool and the Calypso.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

dadoes - for the record the poster stated, "Dont understand your comments. You make the assumption that this machine was bad from day one - it wasn't. It worked well for a year plus and then got worse and worse." and the poster stated, "My WM2016 front-load washing machine has exhibited significant water hammer ever since I purchased it."

Hmmm....There seems to be a creditability issue here. And you do know the LG water hammer issue doesn't magically appear after some period of time. It's there from day one, and you pretty much know whether your plumbing system is compatible or not. And while not unique to washers, dishwashers and ice makers are also a common problem. Many localities local plumbing code requires arrestors be installed on laundry and kitchen appliances.

Why they engineer specific functions the way they do. is the same question I ask of Whirlpool, Samsung, Electrolux, GE, only they know, but in LG's case it's been that way since inception. Nothing has changed in at least 9 years.

If I was in the business of manufacturing washing machines, and this presumed problem was diluting potential sales, you would think they would eliminate the issue. Apparently no shortage of sales, there the #1 selling brand of consumer washing machine with the highest satisfaction and repair rate, and continue to invocate and grow!

Why people get angry....I get angry when I am personally attacked. I am fact driven and a realist. If I am not satisfied with a product, I get rid of it, and find something that meets my expectations.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Sin is right, barrie_hunter did say in first (?) post that water hammer was there:

7-28-16 -"My WM2016 front-load washing machine has exhibited significant water hammer ever since I purchased it."

then yesterday:

"Dont understand your comments. You make the assumption that this machine was bad from day one - it wasn't. It worked well for a year".

• Dennis Preston
    7 years ago

Water hammer on my LG washer has been driving me nuts. I tried nearly everything, arresters, bigger and more expensive arresters. I finally solved it today. I found 5/8 washer supply lines with no flow restricter or sediment screen, the washer valve has a screen. Lowes carries these for $20 for both lines. Fixed it immediately.

• drheisesr
    7 years ago

I hope that I will not be adding any confusion to this forum, BUT.....we purchased a Whirlpool WTW7000DW0 "Cabrio" top loading washer w/electronic touch panel in May, 2016. We experienced water hammer from day one. I finally had enough yesterday and knowing that the plumbing could be suffering (15 year old condo,) purchased 2 Sioux Chief MiniRester, Model 660-H arresters (Lowe's at $9.99 each) and had a plumber install them today. I could have but am nursing a fractured rib. Long story short, they work perfectly; there is NO indication elsewhere in the unit that water is even entering the tub unless you're standing right beside it.

I've been told that hammer problems exist in ALL high efficiency washers, all are prone to this problem. I was also told by a Whirlpool support person that the Cabrio is a Samsung design and the pulsing of supply water off and on, over and over is 'normal operation.' If I had been informed when purchasing that hammer is a common problem, I would have installed arresters from the get-go. At the very least, manufacturers should include arresters as a part of the sale; installers should make sure that every new installation includes arresters.

Any plans for class-action suits should include other brands in addition to LG as this problem could result in millions of customers having problems with their plumbing supply lines in the future. That's my 2 cents worth.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

"drheisesr: I was also told by a Whirlpool support person that the Cabrio is a Samsung design ..."

The support person (phone rep?) is confused or you misunderstood. There's no connection between Samsung and Whirlpool's Cabrio far as I'm aware.

I know for a fact that early Cabrios (and Kenmore Oasis and Maytag Bravos) were based on Fisher & Paykel. Current models are either a further variation of F&P (upper-end direct-drive models) or a different design Whirlpool developed several years ago (lower-end belt-drive models).

• drheisesr
    7 years ago

Yes, indeed, that was a phone rep and that's what she said. Surprised me as well but who was I to question?

• miboje
    7 years ago

Just picked up a new LG 3670 two weeks ago. No water hammer. My plumbing is 17 years old.

• shareon38
    7 years ago

Mine took about one year too loosen pipes? Good luck!

• miboje
    7 years ago

Shareon - Oh no! So is it even possible that it won't happen at all?

• enduring
    7 years ago

Does this only happen on copper pipes, or is it with PEX too. It seems to me that it would not happen with PEX, because of the nature of plastic having a little give. Anyone know?

• dpreston617
    7 years ago

I have copper pipes. Once I installed 5/8 supply lines, I never had the problem again.

• shareon38
    7 years ago

dpreston617 do you have a picture of this? I thought it's all standard fittings. How can you convert this especially with the water lines running to machine are a different size?

• dpreston617
    7 years ago

It is all standard. Lowes carries the 5/8 inch lines. They were $20 for the set. They fit the normal size fittings but the lines are 5/8 instead of 3/8

• Brooke Barrett
    7 years ago

We have pex on our new lines. Doesn't matter. It's the way the solenoid valve operates that causes it. No issue with our Electrolux.

• aturevskiy
    7 years ago

dpreston617, can you post a link to the lines you bought, or just provide the names? On Lowes website they only offer 3 types of lines, and all are listed as 3/8, not 5/8.

• drheisesr
    7 years ago

A follow-up to my February 15th post - the hammer is completely gone, you wouldn't even know that the washer is running! Here are photos of the installation; the arrestors could not be installed at the water source because the hose bibs are canted 45 degrees from horizontal which would make them interfere with the shutoff valves.

• dpreston617
    7 years ago

I don't see what I purchased on Lowes website. I didn't save my packaging. They do carry them in stores, look for Heavy Duty washer connection lines (5/8 inch) They come 2 to a package.

• shareon38
    7 years ago

Can I ask where do you hear the water hammering when you had it? Mine is running in the bathroom walls every time the water is spurting into the machine. I'm still having issue. My be a loose pipe now?

• drheisesr
    7 years ago

I could hear our hammer within the walls from the water shutoff valves, through the ceiling to both the water heater and the kitchen sink. We live in a single level, bottom unit condo. You say "still." Did you install arrestors?

• Brooke Barrett
    7 years ago

We have it with arrestors at source and at washer connections. We just installed a new water heater and it has decreased in severity, but still on-going.

• shareon38
    7 years ago

Yes, spent money on new connectors, arrestors, pressure water valves, new solenoid fill valve. All of this still have this problem in bathroom walls when the machine is filling?

• georgect
    6 years ago

What took so long for the "water hammer class action" lawsuit to happen. This has been an LG issue for YEARS.

• shareon38
    6 years ago

Finally a formal complaint has been filled! Let's see what happens!

• jetblast75
    5 years ago

Water hammer problem fixed... I just bought a Kenmore Elite front loading washer, (made by LG). Whenever cold water was used, it sounded like a machinegun which could be heard and felt throughout the house. I added two MiniResters at the washer inlet ports, NO help at all! I ran across an add for an inline hose arrester that uses a spring to stop the hammering. Available from Amazon for $37.00. Danco HammerStop Technology Washing Machine Connector Hose, 2-Pack, 10744X

Installed both hoses in :10 mins. Turned on the washing machine expecting to hear the hammering again. To my great surprise, it ran smoothly and quietly! Saved me a service call and the possibility of returning the washer for another brand.

• HU-740478775
    5 years ago

There is a lot of confusion here concerning the difference between a Water Hammer that occurs when the water valve CLOSES, and a MUCH DIFFERENT problem that is occurring with some of these washers when the water valve OPENS. My LG when installed would chatter when the water solenoid opened in the washer. It sounds like that the inrush of water overloads the solenoid causing it to slam shut and then reopen because it is still energized to be open. This causes a machine gun sound. The fix is simply throttling down the supply valve to the washer until the noise stops. LG states that this can be caused by too high of water pressure (they rate the maximum pressure at 120 psi). My pressure is 80 psi. It appears that the culprit is in the water valve solenoids in the washer, but the serviceman was clueless and insisted that the only solution was to use the water hammer devices which I had tried and did not work.

• shareon38
    5 years ago

A lawsuit has been done and paid out. Not that much just enough for repairs or replacement.

• neil8338
    4 years ago

Has the issues been fixed in newest models? Have they started using a different valve technology that closes softer? can't find any information anywhere and LG reps are largely useless for engineering questions. Looking at the newer models WM3770HVA or WM3700HVA. Please advise.

• drheisesr
    4 years ago

And now a follow-up to my March 8, 2017 post: after working flawlessly for ALMOST 3 years, the hammer had returned! Upon the advice of a plumber friend, I removed the arresters and shook whatever water that would come out of them out. I then reinstalled and they quieted things down for about 3 washer loads then the pounding started back up again. I came to the conclusion that the gas charge had failed which was verified by the customer service department at Sioux Chief. I was told to put a pencil, etc into the plunger hole and push - if I met with great resistance, the arrester was OK; if the pencil was able to move the plunger, the charge had been lost. My charge was indeed lost. Since the installation was less that 3 years ago, the warranty kicked in and a new set of 2 is to be mailed to me. I was then advised that because I have a newer, high efficiency washer to install 2 arresters per line to lessen the shock and extend their lives. Long story short, I purchased 2 new arresters and installed them; when the replacements arrive, I'll install them in tandem with the original 2. They had better last longer than 3 years - MUCH longer! BTW, Lowe's pricing has risen from $9.99 ea to $ 12.99 ea today!!

• drheisesr
    4 years ago

Received my replacement arrestors and, coupled with the new ones that I purchased, worked out an installation incorporating all 4 arrestors in the best configuration that I could come up with. As I previously stated, I can't mount them directly to the faucet bibs because the bibs they are canted 45 degrees which would not allow me to shut them off. Here are photos of the completed job, somewhat rube-goldberg like but they get the job done. Now hopefully I'll not have to replace them again anytime soon.....

• HU-267995532
    3 years ago

On my Kenmore Elite it turned out water hammer was due to restriction in line. Adding the hammer arrestors quieted the hammering down but did not stop it. Had my son come over and look at it. He said it sounded like a water starvation issue. He removed the arrestors from the washer. He found plastic filters in the washer lines on top of normal screen filters. The plastic filter inserts were the problem. He removed them and bongo hammering stopped totally. So before doing anything else take hoses off washer water inlets check if the plastic filters are there and remove them if they are. You might not need the hammer arresters at all.

• laurab999
    3 years ago

HU-267995532 we had the same issue with our Cabrio extra extra large capacity washer. After installing 2 sets of arresters and an expansion tank on the hot water line, we were still bleeding our lines frequently to decrease the hammering that was shaking the house. We had already turned the water shut-off at the washer down to about 1/2 or 1/4 closed. The water pressure in our house is 90, measured today by new plumber. The plumber opened up the inlet valve, removed the tiny little plastic screen piece, and we are good to go. Hammer gone. Why the POS piece of plastic is there in the first place is a mystery. Those 50 cent screens caused all this drama. The inlet on the screen is much narrower than the diameter of the rest of the line. No one else even thought of that. We had to have a master plumber out. $90 and I consider it a bargain. I was on the verge of chucking the machine out the door.

• HU-208708745
    2 years ago

glenn

• We had the same problem of hammering with our LG WM3070HWA 3.7 cu. ft TurboWash washer with steam technology bought in 2013. Things were fine for the first 6 years or so, but got louder slowly, so that now it is like a jack hammer when the washer fills. Like the frog in the kettle we hadn't really noticed when the noise started, except that now I can't stay in bed if my wife starts a load early in the morning even though our bedroom with doors closed is a 100 feet away. After reading these comments, it seemed to me that perhaps the screens in the lines were clogging up. So I pulled them out today, and amazingly - SILENCE! The hot water line filter was clogged with silt and mold. The cold line filter looked relatively clean. Thanks, you guys for the help!
  • drheisesr
    9 months ago

After 3 years, the Sioux Chief arrestors gave out again. Replaced all 4 again and, as before all is well.

Since then, another problem has cropped up with the Cabrio - error messages F5/F3 indicating that the door lock was not activating. Rather than buying a replacement latch, both times I was able to restore operation by gently prying the nylon plunger out from its 'stuck' position, pushing in and pulling out about 10 times then restarting. I guess the moisture works its way into the solenoid plunger and causes it to occasionally stick in the un-energized position. This saved a lot of $$ for the part and a passel of headaches moving the washer out to raise the top panel to replace the latch; totally unnecessary! Good Luck everyone!!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm