Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maven1975

Fisher & Paykel WL26CW1 - Error Code 49!

maven1975
14 years ago

I just had my new F&P washer and dryer delivered today. However, right out of the box, the washing machine is giving me an error code 49.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• dadoes
    14 years ago

Your model is an AquaSmart. I don't have any specific service info for it ... but Fault 49 on F&P agitator models is bad cold water valve or wires on it disconnected. You should probably contact a service company, being that your machine should be under warranty. However, if you want to investigate, open the control panel (two screws at the back corners). Look first if there may be a security sticker warning that opening it will void the warranty. Probably there isn't, although there may be one inside the panel to secure against removing the control board housing. If you're good to go on opening the panel, check that the wiring harness is connected to the cold valve. Perhaps disconnect and reconnect it in case it just isn't making good contact.

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

Are the Water Faucets turned ON ?

• dadoes
    14 years ago

AquaSmart may read differently ... but Fault 49 on Eco/Intuitive is an electrical problem sensed by voltage reading on the valve, not a water flow problem. I get Fault 49 on my Intuitive by disconnecting the cold valve with the machine connected to power but otherwise turned off. It beeps and (with the LCD backlight off) displays
    I Need Service
    Fault Code 49
    Please call for service

If the faucet is turned off it beeps and displays while attempting to fill "I'm not getting any Cold Water." I'd assume AquaSmart would do the same.

• maven1975
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The water is turned on.

When I look at the service manual, it tells me this...

"The motor control module has measured a voltage from the valve diagnostic circuit that indicates the cold valve or both the cold and hot valve or dispensing valves are faulty. This most likely is that the valve harness has not been connected correctly or the valve(s) is open circuit

- Check the valve harnesses are correctly fastened to the valves and the motor control module or the pins are not bent back.

-Measure the resistance of the cold and hot valve coils

- Replace the Motor Controller Module"

I looked for loose connections and did not anything out of order. I do not know how to check the resistance between the hot and cold valves.

Dadoes,

After your unit gives you the error, do you have to do anything special to restart it?

Any other suggestions?

I would return it for a new one, but this was the last one at Lowes in my region. :(

Thanks again!

• dadoes
    14 years ago

After your unit gives you the error, do you have to do anything special to restart it?Nope. Reattach the wiring harness and press Power to cancel the error.

The valve is checked with a volt/ohm meter. Disconnect the machine's power. Remove the wires from the valve. Set the meter to resistance/Ohms (1x scale is best). Touch the meter probes to the connector pins on the valve. Not sure what yours should read. EcoSmart/Intuitive valves read 64 ohms. Check the tech sheet in your console, perhaps it states the figures. Note that AquaSmart uses a multi-solenoid valve assembly. The entire assembly is replaced as a unit, the valves are not individual.

You need to call a service tech. Your machine is new, covered by warranty.

• maven1975
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, Lowes replaced the WL26CW1 with a new WL37T26CW2. It too some persuading, but ultimately they knew it was the right thing to do, I am extremely happy as I only paid $539 for the WL26CW1. It is special order only, so I have to wait 7 days for delivery.

Are parts for these machines scarce? Should I be worried about long order times and or the ability to get parts if that day arrives?

Thanks for all of your help.

• Allmax100
    11 years ago

My washing machine F&P MODEL WL80T65C Aquasmart has come up with Error 49, I switched the power off at the wall and turned back on, the water taps are on but no luck

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Same info as stated above in this thread.

49 is cold valve fault, or both cold & hot.

Check the resistance readings on the valves. Both should be 64 ohms (at room temp ambient 68F / 20C).

• Bruce Martin
    4 years ago

I know this is an old thread. However, I am getting 59 ohms on both valves with a 49 error. Is that within the “normal” range? I would hate to buy a new valve and then have to buy a new board anywa.