Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momtonic

W/D for a second home

momtonic
13 years ago

We are building a lakeside cabin in a somewhat remote area so I'd like to get something that is reliable (or easy to fix by a country repairman). Since it's a second home I don't want to go overboard on the appliances. In my home now I have a Miele 1986. Love it except for the high repair bills (just changing a gasket (2x) was pretty expensive.

Recommendation for an Energystar front loader W&D?

Comment (1)

• housefairy
    13 years ago

I would probably go for a very inexpensive top loader. How much are you going to use it? Usually for vacation homes, it's to wash up the linens/towels and dry the occasional wet clothing. One thing to think about is having enough linens, towels, etc. that you can take home the dirty ones and still have a supply of clean on hand. So basically you bring back the clean every time you go to your cabin. When you are ready to go, strip and change the sheets. Then clean up and take the dirty towels etc. It's will always be clean when you arrive. And keeping it clean will be a necessity in order to keep rodents from taking up residence. If you let someone use your cabin, inform them of the routine. Actually have totes earmarked just for that particular laundry. That way you don't spend time waiting for the clothes to wash/dry. The easiest is to have a specific color for the vacation home and try to make all the bed linens the same. Just pick a light color, no white and nothing dark.

One thing on the washer is if you have freezing weather, you will have to heat the cabin or drain the washer to keep it from freezing. Also with remote locations you may have issues with theft and or vandalism. That is why I would go very cheap, maybe even used, to see how everything works out.