Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
supermommy_gw

What is your favorite HE detergent and why?

supermommy
17 years ago

What HE detergents have you tried, powder or liquid, and why did you or didn't you like certain ones?

Comments (53)

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Interesting cantdecide. I think the All S&M I got was the rainfresh scent. My daughter can tell when I use it, she always comments that her towels smell great. I like the small and mighty but I couldn't resist getting a whopping 96 load container of regular formula All He at our local BJ's for only $6.55 after instant rebate and .75 coupon I had. That's equal to three bottles of small and mighty. I'll have to open my big jug and give it a whiff and see if they're the same.

Does anyone who has used Tide regular scent think it smells a little like rubbing alcohol?

• jerrod6
    17 years ago

People process scents differently so they will not appeal to everyone the same.

I can't stand any of the scented versions of Tide, and Downy..they come off too strong and sweet to me.

Actually now that I think about it I don't like the taste of really sweet things like cake and pie deserts-- and prefer semi sweet chocolate so perhaps this goes along with smell.

I can't stand the smell of hazelnut coffee. It makes me want to vomit.

I can't stand the smell of any of the Calvin klein Escape, Eternity perfums..or any perfums that are made from the same base ingredients...yet many like them.

So one persons good smell is another's absolutely awful.

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago

A little off topic Jerrod6 but I know what you mean about the perfumes. All of Estee Lauder's fragrances give me a headache but I can wear pretty much anything by Lancome (that I like that is) and it smells great.

And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE hazelnut coffee! Just had a cup this morning.

• asolo
    17 years ago

Tide HE powder. Because it works and is easily available. No problem with fragrance but that may be because I have dead-soft water and don't have to use much of the Tide for good results. Also use extra rinse cycle. Would prefer same product without fragrance but haven't found it anywhere.

• just_chris
    17 years ago

Shaklee "Fresh Laundry" - 1/2 oz per large load. For laundry and pre-treat if you feel you need to.

Also, Shaklee Soft Fabric liquid softener - fragrence free version too.

Natural Bright Laundry booster to slam those dingy whites.

My opinion.

"supermommy" - let me know, if you want - I'll send you some to try!

• applemac
    17 years ago

All Small & Mighty Fresh Rain smells great for TL but that's not the case for the FL HE formula. Now that's smells bad..

• kenmorewasher
    17 years ago

Tide HE
    Gain HE
    Cheer HE
    Wisk HE
    All HE
    Purex HE
    Arm Hammer HE
    Sears HE
    Quixtar Amway HE
    Fuller Brush HE
    Shaklee HE

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

Sears Ultra Plus HE. It's economical and does a great job even in conventional TL's. My second favorite is Tide HE, but the cost per load is much more.

• cantdecide
    17 years ago

***All Small & Mighty Fresh Rain smells great for TL but that's not the case for the FL HE formula. Now that's smells bad..***

LOL! so maybe it isn't just my personal taste or a bad batch. I guess I'll have to go laundry detergent sniffing on my next shopping trip.

• kenmorewasher
    17 years ago

Tide HE Free Clear
    All HE Free Clear
    Sears HE Free Clear
    Quixtar Amway HE Free Clear
    Shaklee HE Free Clear

• kstmetal
    17 years ago

I have just completed my first week with my new Asko washer and dryer and they have lived up to all my expectations. Now.....how much detergent to use. I only had liquid Tide and used 2 tablespoons with good results. I have done two loads with Tide HE powder and about the same results. I have soft water so I am still experimenting with the quantity for the Tide HE. Any comments from anyone with Asko's? Thanks.

• darex
    17 years ago

I've had my Asko's a bit longer than you, but I'm in awe of them too.

Everything comes out soft and wrinkle-free! I have yet to iron ... anything.

Here's a tip: Your liquid laundry insert is stowed on the underside of the detergent drawer. I didn't know that, and it was a bit embarassing when I couldn't find mine and complained that it was missing.

I've used Persil Megaperls, and Tide HE powder and Persil Powergel.

I love how Persil Powergel smells, but since I don't go to Europe every month, my supply will eventually run out.

I'm curious to try the recommended EcoVantage on whites.

I'm lukewarm on the Tide HE Powder. It seems "okay", but it's so chalky, it doesn't rinse out of the drawer like the Persil Megaperls do, and the size of the scoop seems excessive.

As far as results, for colors anyhow, which is mostly what I've done so far, it seems like they have all done a good job. I think it's the machine that gets the credit though.

I love my Askos so far. Do you have the T712/W6222 combo?

David

• ridonkulus
    17 years ago

does anyone know how i can get shaklee's high efficiency liquid laundry detergent?

• aamassther
    17 years ago

ridonkulus, you need to locate a Shaklee distributor. I think you can go to Shaklee's web site to find one in your area.
    These are great products, I think you'll like them.

• mrsee
    17 years ago

I have had my share of Front loaders since 1996 now on my 6th Set. To me the Best HE detergent is by far Sears HE Advanced stain fighting formula it cleans the best and works great in my Bosch/Siemens 5200. I was really dissapointed with Tide He liquid it always over suds and the washer has to keep rinsing. Anyway this is the best cleaner. Now my washer has never had the long wash cycles clearing out the suddsy suds..I am a Very happy camper...

MR SEE

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    17 years ago

Tried Tide HE powder. It cleaned okay, but I had to use 1/4 cup to get good performance and then it perfumed my clothes. I like my laundry to smell like cloth, not perfume.

Gain HE liquid was too sudsy - I could only use a tablespoon to avoid too much suds an at that dose it cleaned poorly.

Bi-O-Kleen premium powder (avail. at drugstore.com) - This one I like. I use one Tablespoon per load, it doesn't over-suds, and has removed stains I thought were destined to be a permanent part of the clothing, even some olds stains left over from washing in Tide. It has a faint citrus scent that rinses away completely. It is a bit more of a hassle or order it, but it arrives in one week and at one tablespoon per load, a box lasts a long, long time.

• sshrivastava
    17 years ago

Another vote for Bi-O-Kleen Premium, it's the best stuff I've ever used. Everything comes out cleaner than I was able to get with Tide HE or any other commercial product. Clothes look so bright, but without any optical brighteners. It has no suds whatsoever and rinses very well -- my clothes have never been so soft.

Bonus -- it's a green eco-friendly product. Total win-win.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

I also tried the Tide HE Powder. It could be our water or who knows? But the whites came out dingy and the smell of the detergent was repugnant.

I had to rewash them all. This time I tried the Method concentrate.

The Method works GREAT! It's in a small bottle and you only need a tiny capful.

I threw the Tide HE powder out (yeah, $10 in the trash but what are you gonna do ?)

Before I told my wife about the Method she went out and bought another huge jug of the Tide HE liquid.

Now we've got enough detergent to last a year.

So far we are satisfied with the Method, All Free and Clear, and Tide Liquid HE (in that order).

• ebrathedebra
    17 years ago

Second vote for Method Free and Clear - Just got new GE FLs and it's the only detergent I've used so far. I'm experimenting with different amounts (the cap is so small). So far it seems to rinse well and get clothes clean. Also, clothes feel very soft (including kids' fleecey PJs). Not sure what is responsible - the detergent and\or new machines but so far I am happy with the combination.

• sshrivastava
    17 years ago

You threw out your detergent?? Are you kidding? That's terribly harmful for the environment, why didn't you just give it to a friend or donate it somewhere?

I can't believe people do this stuff. Come on folks, think!

• msgenie516
    17 years ago

Hi,

My current favorite is Sears Ultra Plus HE powder because I have absolutely no problem with too much suds. I can use more than the recommended dosage if I think its necessary (for very dirty laundry) and still there are barely any suds, just a few bubbles. And my laundry comes out wonderfully fresh and clean. I like the Tide HE powder and liquid but I have to be extremely careful about the quantity I use. I find it is very easy to use too much.

I find no matter how strong the fragrance of the detergent right out of the box or bottle (and I think Tide is rather nasty smellingÂthe only reason I use it is because it cleans so well), when my laundry is completed, I donÂt smell anything unless I use fabric softener. I have found the Sun & Earth fabric softener to have a very light, pleasant fragrance with barely any smell left in the washed and dried laundry. I do use fabric softener sparingly, as I would rather not use it at all. However, I find it necessary for DHÂs work jeans, as they have come out of the wash wrinkled without it.

Happy washing!

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago

One complaint. I'd used Wisk He before in the regular formulation and liked it. Our Target had the Wisk He 3x concentrated on sale so I bought a bottle. I hate it! It's SO thick that it doesn't get flushed completely out of the dispenser and there's always some left at the bottom of the cup. I have to add enought water to the dispenser cup to bring it up to the fill line and then mix it with my finger to dilute it so that it gets flushed out completely. It cleans well enough but it's too much trouble to get my dispenser loaded properly. That's my last bottle for sure.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Okay, I've gone out and dug it out of the bin. Now what? I guess I could drop it off at a laundry mat for people to use for free. (kinda like an abandoned kitty?)

--------------------------------------
    "You threw out your detergent?? Are you kidding? That's terribly harmful for the environment, why didn't you just give it to a friend or donate it somewhere?

I can't believe people do this stuff. Come on folks, think!"

• aquarius2101
    17 years ago

You could have at least flushed the contents down the toilet, then at least you'd be cleaning the toilet and hence putting the detergent to use at the same time LOL.

(I've done that once or twice before, as to be honest that's all those boxes of detergent were good for!)

Jon

• twebbz
    17 years ago

I use either All Small & Mighty HE or Wisk Dual Action HE. Same small bottle, 32 loads. It's very easy to pour and measure. I like the smell of Wisk better though. There seems to always be a coupon for one or the other and the low regular price of either at Wal-Mart or Target makes them best buys. They do a very good job of cleaning with just a half cap (the normal load line) in my compact 2.4 cu.ft. Maytag MAH2400. I imagine you would use a little more in a larger machine. I also boost the cleaning power with a store brand powdered OXY product (1/2 scoop) or VIVID liquid oxy (1/3 cap).

• steve_o
    17 years ago

I guess I could drop it off at a laundry mat for people to use for free.

That would work. Or donate it to a shelter (people or pets) near you; they're always washing things. Good for you for recycling it, too. :-)

I have used the Sears "free" HE powder and liked it well enough. Lately I've been using Seventh Generation's HE liquid. I wish it was a powder; maybe someday. It does a nice job, though. Clothes come out clean and soft and the citrus scent disappears in standard rinsing. I'd buy it again.

• mike_73
    17 years ago

I have been using Sears Ultra Stain Fighting powder for almost a year, I got a 275 load bucket of it last march and its stll not gone yet. for a single guy thats a great deal to only pay $25 once a year for detergent. I like how it cleans so I'll be buying more when its finally close to used up. Now if I could only find a way to get a fabric softener that lasted that long I'd be so set.

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago

quote:
    "Okay, I've gone out and dug it out of the bin. Now what? I guess I could drop it off at a laundry mat for people to use for free. (kinda like an abandoned kitty?)"

I've had my detergent stolen when I left it in the laudromat for 5 minutes to go out to my car. My DH has had his laundry stolen out of a dryer when he was in college.

It'll be snatched up in less than one hour if you leave it in a laudromat-- guaranteed.

There is always something better to do with it than throw it out or dump it down the drain. Women's shelter, homeless shelters, nursing homes, anywhere they have laundry to do would love to have it I'm sure. Even your next door neighbor might want it.

• aquarius2101
    17 years ago

FWIW, my last post was only tongue in cheek :-).

Jon

• dross
    17 years ago

Steve, if you are only doing cold-to-warm washes (as I think you said in another thread), and using digestible laundry detergents, you are a prime candidate for biofilm formation in your machine. - DR

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Steve, if you are only doing cold-to-warm washes

Actually, the drill is warm/warm washes with the last load being a hot/cold white load. Then I pick up the extra water in the gasket with the soon-to-be-dried laundry and leave the door and detergent dispenser open. Am I still at risk?

• sshrivastava
    17 years ago

wblynch, thank you for doing that! If you're short on time, give it to your neighbor, otherwise I'd say take it to a charitable institution that does laundry -- perhaps a local no-kill animal shelter?. Call ahead, though, to make sure they'll accept it.

Kudos to you.

• amysrq
    17 years ago

"if you are only doing cold-to-warm washes (as I think you said in another thread), and using digestible laundry detergents, you are a prime candidate for biofilm formation in your machine"

Can someone please explain this to me. I am running my very first FL load as I type... Thanks!

• bluemonster
    17 years ago

Here's what I use in ASKO washer:

Persil Megaperls (Henkel) 1 tablespoon for whites & bright cottons. The scent completely rinses out. Removes stains well.

Trader Joes "Next to Godliness" detergent: 1 tablespoon for darker & colder washes. Unscented, rinses well.

Perwoll Black Magic: 1 scant capfull for dark jeans & black clothes that tend to fade.

My water is on the softer side (5 grains) so I never add softener or other additives to the wash. Works for me!

• sr712
    17 years ago

Any of the Sears HE powders do very well. Cheap, too.

• jessyf
    17 years ago

I use Cheer HE because it doesn't have optical brightners.

Happy belated Bday, Jon. Sorry I missed you this year!

• dross
    17 years ago

steve, it sounds like you're OK; I must have misremembered something you wrote elsewhere.

amysrq, washing machines are an inherently damp environment, and damp environments can have mold and mildew (biofilm) problems. FLs are at slightly enhanced risk, because when the door is closed moisture cannot evaporate. It is not uncommon for someone who does only cold washing, or shuts their FL door all the way between uses, to find that their machine developes a problem with biofilm after a while. (When people report bad smells or grey gasket film in their machine, this is what they are reporting.) Hot water and/or chlorine bleach fight the biofilm, at least before it gets too well established, and that is why someone who does hot or bleachy loads regularly is less likely to ever have a problem. As for detergent: using too little detergent can make things wore (because a sufficiency of detergent can itself clean mildew in its early stages), and using too much can be a problem too (since if detergent residue remains after the wash, some organisms can eat the detergent, especially if it is made of soaps/fats and plant extracts).

If you do like to do mainly cold/lukewarm bleach-free washing, then one suggestion is that you do regular 'cleansing' cycles (with only a few rags in the machine) at the hottest temp avaialble with an enzymatic dishwashing powder (like Cascade Complete).

Now, I don't want to make the risk of biofilm seem worse than it really is, but we see enough reports of problems to make it clear that ignoring the issue altogether is not a good idea. It is like carownership: if one uses the right octane fuel, changes the fluids on schedule, checks tire inflation, and so on, the car will last longer and function better than a car that is just driven without maintenance until it dies. - DR

• ihalsema
    17 years ago

We've only had our LG FL for a month (I'm amazed I just typed that sentence- I'm starting to use the jargon!), and so far we've only used the Tide HE and the Costco Kirkland Signature HE. When we had our top-loader we used the Kirkland Free and Clear so we had no perfume on our clothes. I don't like the smell from either of these HE detergents, although my wife has no problem with the smell. I'd prefer an inexpensive odorless (no perfume means one less ingredient, so it should be cheaper, right?) detergent.

Any suggestions?

• amysrq
    17 years ago

Thank you DR. Biofilm=scum=mold=mildew. We know all about that stuff here in FL! I do plan to wash sheets and towels on hot regularly. And I am also leaving the door open.

Riddle me this...I just bought my Axxis set used. There was a bit of (eh-hem) biofilm inside the gasket. Just a bit slimy. I wiped it out. I know bleach is a no-no. Should I go over the gasket with anything else to disinfect?

To stay on topic, ihalsema, I am using liquid All Free and Clear. I have read here that it okay to use and recommended for those with sensitive skin. At one-fourth of a dosing cup, there were no suds. At one-third, there were some suds detected. Everything looks clean, but I'm only on my second washload!

• dross
    17 years ago

amysrq, you can certainly use bleach on the gasket - you are not supposed to use it in the machine for washing because it can exacerbate corrosion in the stainless tubs (which have a lifetime warrantee in your Axxis unless you use bleach).

You should also follow my suggestion (above) for a cleansing cycle. Use the profile wash and highest temp setting on the Axxis. - DR

• amysrq
    17 years ago

Thank you again, DR.

Regarding the lifetime warranty, I purchased this set second hand, lightly used. Bosch says I have NO warranty! Bleach or no bleach! Oh well...

• bluemonster
    17 years ago

ihalsema:
    Before buying another detergent to try, you might want to try decreasing the amount of detergent you're using. FLs need less detergent than TLs, and most brands of detergent way over-estimate how much detergent to use per wash. Even a scented detergent should rinse out completely, and if your clothes smell scented after a wash, then you might be using too much detergent.
    Perhaps try using a tablespoon of detergent per load and increasing if necessary. This will spare you the cost of buying new unscented detergents to try (at least until you run out)!
    Hope this helps...

• sshrivastava
    17 years ago

For those who are sensitive and want to reduce allergic reactions, it's important to find a clean rinsing detergent, one that preferably has no added scents, dyes, or OBAs (optical brightening agents). All of these cause allergic reactions in people, primarily because the residues containing these chemicals doesn't completely rinse out.

This is why I prefer green products -- they almost always rinse out completely and I know I'm not putting any nasty chemicals on my skin because they disclose all ingredients (the good brands, anyway). I've read that OBAs bond with your skin permanently, which means they won't come off until you shed some skin cells. With increasing incidents of cancer and other horrible diseases, I can't help but think that our bodies are being overwhelmed with toxicity -- not from a single source, but on a cumulative basis -- and cutting exposures to these things wherever possible is a good thing.

My green detergent doesn't contain OBAs, but I swear the clothes come out much brighter than they did with any detergent that did contain OBAs. The first ingredient is also enzymes, which could explain why it's superior at stain fighting than the other commercial brands I've tried.

• johnmari
    17 years ago

My FL (Frigidaire GLTF2940ES) is being delivered in about 2 weeks. Was going to buy one in a couple of years but my horrible 14yo Admiral TL went kerflooey rather dramatically about a week ago and moved the schedule up a tad! I've been reading and reading and reading and I still have several questions regarding detergents.

So I'm seeing two "green" detergents discussed here, Bi-O-Kleen and Seventh Generation. Any others recommended? I have chemical sensitivities - let's not even TALK about stuff like Tide Free, ugh! - and admit to a big ole hippie streak as a result. :-) We've been using Seventh Generation products off and on for years, in fact the jug of 7G detergent in my laundry room now is the Free & Clear HE because they didn't have the non-HE in the giant jugs that were on sale, so I'll surely start with that just to use it up but I note reports of "meh" cleaning. Has anyone used BioPac? Their website says their "Ultra" products are HE-OK, and I've had no reaction to their detergent in the past - I know home FLs and commercial ones are different animals, but it worked very well in the laundromat FLs. Is the Bi-O-Kleen Free & Clear as effective as the Premium Plus, which seems to have the most fans?

We'll be using mostly cool and warm washes just because we own virtually nothing that should be washed in hot - our sheets and towels are colored and we have purchased very little white clothing for years because of high iron content in the water - although I did see the info about biofilm and will take that under advisement. (I am not at all comfortable with leaving the washer door open lest our adorable but not very bright cat climb in to explore, since she cannot be closed out of the laundry area. We have always kept the top loader closed due to inquisitive cat and never got mold/mildew in that, is this a pretty good indicator that we may be fairly OK with the FL?) Do some natural detergents work better in these lower temperatures than others? Should I stick with liquids for the cooler washes for complete dissolution?

How about dealing with vegetable oils - my DH does massage and often gets jojoba or grapeseed oil on his dark blue jersey sheets. Hot water sets the oil and the eventual oil-funk, we ruined I don't know how many sheets while he was in massage school! We've always used a very small dollop of CitraSolv or other degreaser in the TL but that's a no go with the FL, right? Any massage therapists (or fry cooks ;-)) out there combatting grease spots?

Do any of the "specialty" detergent companies send out samples, or can they be obtained in very small packages to try out? (I can get BioPac by the ounce at my local health food store, but that's the only one I know of.) Buying these machines in the first place has kicked our budgetary buns, the notion of buying $10+ packages of detergent that may well sit on the shelf gives me the shakes! Most of our friends don't even have their own washing machines, much less fancy-pants FLs, so moochingsharing ;-) with them won't work.

• dross
    17 years ago

johnmari, you might find that your fabrics can stand higher heat in your FL than you think. (My theory: the lack of deep immersion makes the temp less of an issue.) We wash even our deep burgundy cotton towels at 140F, and have had not any problem with fading or other damage in 2 years. As for clothing in cold: your body temp is 98.6F, if the clothing can't handle that or higher, it is not going to survive being worn.

For towels, if you must wash cold or lukewarm, do consider using an additive for eliminating the bacteria. Chlorine bleach is the gold standard here, but phenolics like Lestoil and even pine oil work well too.

For spots and oily stains, pretreating helps a lot. There's no reason why you couldn't use a bit of citrisolve as a pretreatment, but you would probably do as well to pretreat with Fels bar soap or dish soap or similar to emulsify the oil, then wash normally.

If you do mainly cool and warm loads, and don't use chlorine bleach, and use digestible enzyme-free detergents, and keep your FL door completely closed, then I'm afraid you are a strong candidate for mold and mildew. - DR

• aamassther
    17 years ago

johnmari, I've always washed my massage linens in the hottest temp possible. In fact, they are the reason we bought a washer with a heater. Hot water is best to dissolve oil in sheets, for this reason I only buy white sheets. I wouldn't go any lower in temp than a warm wash on the coloured sheets, and use some ammonia. Or try the Citra-solve. Of the "green" detergents, I've found that Ecover and Shaklee, with added Ecover or Shaklee percarbonate bleach are the most effective at removing oil stains. I also use increased amounts, more than I would for my personal stuff. Overall, I prefer the Shaklee powder(liquid is too sudsy) for white and light coloured stuff and Ecover powder for the darker stuff.I don't pretreat my sheets, the stains can be too big and haven't needed to. When we had the FL without the heater I would do a wash with chlorine bleach every couple of weeks, don't need to do that now. Hope this helps, Todd

• johnmari
    17 years ago

dross, I have no objection at all to enzymes, we use enzyme products regularly since accidents are kind of inevitable with critters around. :-) I had noted the recommendations to mop up the water in the door seal and run a very hot, empty cycle periodically and had planned to do that, as well as opening the detergent drawer (too small for the cat to get into LOL) to let it dry out, but if enzymes are useful we can certainly add a shot of the enzyme stuff. Chlorine bleach simply isn't an option due to the smell of it - citrus-oil products like CitraSolv are the most I can manage. Let's not get me started on the whole bacteria in the towels thing, OK? It really won't be pretty. :-)

Todd, thanks for the ref to Ecover for the massage sheets! I've used other Ecover products before (I LOVE their dishwasher tablets) but never the laundry detergent. Ditto on the percarbonate bleach, I had to look it up but I was thrilled to find that that is what we've been using for a few years now, although never on the sheets. Pretty slick (if you'll excuse the pun). When DH was in massage school one of the instructors told us to wash the sheets in hot water but we found that it set the stains something fierce and we got rancid-oil smells very quickly, so on the advice of another instructor we went to a degreaser in the washer instead. Maybe it's the jersey fabric - DH likes them so much better than anything else. Spot treating is indeed a serious PITA, like you said the stains can get pretty big - some people just can't take much drag, you gotta grease 'em up! ;-)

• aamassther
    17 years ago

Jojoba and grapeseed oils are the easiest to get out of sheets. I now use Bon Vital cream, it has a nice slip when you need it and isn't too slick when doing deeper work, it's pretty all purpose and washes out of the sheets better than when I was using grapeseed oil. I don't understand the hot water and rancid, stained sheets problem. I've had the opposite experience, when I was in massage school, I had some coloured flannel sheets, that I washed in my old TL in warm water and started to get the rancid oil smell, after I switched to hot and a higher dose of detergent/AFB problem was solved. I quickly replaced those sheets with white ones so I could keep them looking nice and maintain a professional appearance. Coloured sheets tend to get faded looking fast, due to the amount they need to be washed and the amount of detergent used. I replace my white ones about every two or three years, they get washed at least 4 times a week on a long cycle with 150-155F water(it's called Power temp boost on my machine). When I had a Frigidaire FL, I made sure the water heater was turned up some and that I ran the water at the sink to get water for the wash hot enough. I'm glad to have an on board heater now, that was quite wasteful. I use both percale and flannel. When I replace them, they're still white and stain free, just worn. I tried one set of jersey sheets early on and found that they did tend to hold the oil more than the others. Todd

• dross
    17 years ago

as well as opening the detergent drawer

Not enough, the gaskets around the door will get gross. However, you do not need to have the door wide open - we drape a small terry cloth over our door (same one we use for wiping the gasket), it holds the door open a crack, and that is all you need.

Try the Lestoil if you can find it, also the Fels soap for small spots. Both of these are time-tested solutions for stains, and the lestoil also disinfects. It smells a bit in the wash (as does pine oil, which we use on towels), but the odor comes out in the dryer. - DR

• Cyberspacer
    17 years ago

I like the Persil formulations a lot. I try different ones but generally use Megaperls and Megaperls Color. I also use their specialty stuff - - Perwool and Black Magic. They both work great. My only complaint would be their strong girly perfume scent. They should tone down the odor and to something that is a little more gender neutral.

I also liked the Method detergents.

For whites, however, Persil powders work the best out of any HE detergent I've tried and don't require bleach (just high water temps).