Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadedbaroness

LG WaveForce Washer and Dryer?

JadedBaroness
11 years ago

Hello! I'm new to these forums and just getting my feet wet. We will be buying a new home and will be getting new appliances for it. We are planning on a second floor laundry room and I'm researching washers and dryers. My current favorite is the LG WaveForce. I see quite mixed reviews on these and would love some thoughts.

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the LG WaveForce LG - Washer WT5170HV and LG - Dryer DLEX2655V?

What other washer/dryer should we consider. I want a top loader. And from these forums I have learned that I might want one with an internal heater since the laundry room will be on the 2nd floor?. Is that true?

On a separate but related note...is consumer reports a good idea to subscribe to for additional information?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Comments (42)

• gates1
    11 years ago

Do a search in this forum for My new LG waveforce washer review, all the info is there

• JadedBaroness
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW! That's a lot of information :) Thanks for directing me to that thread..I'm going to dig right in :)

• gates1
    11 years ago

I started that post when I bought my waveforce, any questions, just ask ok

• JadedBaroness
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, thanks! I read through and it was very informative. :)

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

I have that set. And am so disappointed in it. I want to know why no matter what kind of detergent I use, that my clothes do not have that great clean smell. I even sometimes see dry spots on my clothes after I take them out of the washer. You can see that sometimes the clothes are not getting wet enough. My last machine my clothes smelled so clean, I miss that. If I could take this machine back I would. : (

• JadedBaroness
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How long have you had this set? Have you tried different settings and always find this to be the case?

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

The only setting that the clothes smell clean on would be sanitary. Im not washing every load 3 hrs. lol
    I have had it about 7 months. I always have used fabric softener, because i love great smelling clothes. But now I don't even smell that. I just don't get it. I would love to lay down on my sheets to a great smell. Very disappointed.

• gates1
    11 years ago

lilsophie...what cycles are you using for your sheets? Detergent and how much? I have no issue with clothes not coming out clean or smelling clean. Ive had my set for 1 yr 8 months

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

I have used the Towels cycle and Normal cycle.

What do you think the reason is, that I never smell my fabric softner? Tried all kinds. I have pushed the fabric softener button and also not. Both same result.

• gates1
    11 years ago

are you changing the water temperature to cold? Id you selct a hot wash the water is in reality just a very warm at best. I have found washing sheets and towel on cold will make them not smell clean after a few times. Sometimes when I choose a hot wash I turn off the cold water valve so I get straight hot water in my wash. The government has changed what is allowed to be comnsidered a cold war mand hot wash. Thats why your clothes smell better when washed in the sanitary cycle, the heater come on to make your water hotter in the washer. Whitest whites will make the water around 120-130. Any questions, please ask me

• gates1
    11 years ago

normal cycle is going to the be the most stingy with water, and you do have the option to add water to most of your cycles. For any kind of bedding, I use the bulky/beding cycle. It works great and uses lots of water.

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

No I'm not turning it use cold water. Am leaving it on warm cycle. So you use the bulky cycle for your sheets??
    I give all your suggestions a try. Thanks for all your help, I will try anything, lol

• dadoes
    11 years ago

LilSophie,

I believe the point Gates1 is making is that you should wash sheets (and maybe other of your clothes as well) in hot water ... at least some of the time. Not necessarily the uber-hot Sanitary cycle, but any cycle that allows selection of the "regular" hot temperature. Warm on these super-duper EnergyStar HE machines tends to be 75F to 85F, which is cool or lukewarm at best. Hot likely isn't as hot as you may expect. Try running a Normal, Towels, or Bulky cycle on hot, let it wash for several minutes (maybe even 10 mins into the wash period, just catch it before the water drains), pause the cycle and check what is the temp.

If your machine has a softener button, you *must* select it when using liquid fabric softener or the softener won't be dispensed and distributed properly into the clothes.

• gates1
    11 years ago

I cant tell you this, I have house sat for my friends and some family, who both have a traditional washer. Bed sheet that they both had on the smelled "dirty" though they were freshly washed as I witnessed it. They washed them in cold water, and one in cheap detergent and the other in a top brand. They dont come clean as you might think. After my freinds left, I took the freshly wash sheets back off the bed and washed/soaked them in hot water and then they came out clean and smelling fresh. I dont care if you shower before bed or not, you will get body oils in the sheets, especially from men, because they sweat more usually than a female, and thats where you see the brown in white sheets. I have all white sheets, I LOVE them and they look as clean now as they did 5 years ago when I bought them. I have learned that cold/cool water does not clean. If tried tide coldwater on whites, and lets just say it didnt clean then as good as using hot water. I did re wash them in the same detergent and then they were up to my standard of being clean. Keep asking me questions, I dont mind.

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

I'm washing a load of whites right now. Using the bright white selection button. And it's on HOT water. It will take an hour and a half. We will see how they come out. I hope they are really clean and fresh smelling.
    Will report back.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Pause the cycle during the wash period as I suggested and check what exactly is the water temp. Use an instant-read kitchen thermometer if you have one.

• gates1
    11 years ago

the incomming water must be at least 120 degree's to ensure the washers heater can boost the water temp properly. What kind of detergent are you using and how much of it per load?

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

UGGGGG I give up with this machine. Problem is I'm still paying for it until April 2013. I bought it when they had no finance charges for 18mo.
    I forgot to get a thermometer. I did stop it and feel the water, is was a little warmer than warm. Not HOT by any means. I had two pillow cases, white socks, a few white washclothes, and a few other things. So small/med load. Its 3/4 of the way finished. All of the sudden it goes unbalanced. Ugg, I open it and move clothes around. And guess what it wouldnt let me continue there I had to start over. So i just put it on rinse/SPIN cycle. Well guess what it fills to the TOP with water. What a waste of our precious water where I live.
    So when all is said and done. My clothes still DO NOT have a great laundry smell, do not smell det or softner. In fact I can still smell a little sweatly head smell from husbands pillowcase.
    I'm so upset I could scream...yikes
    I mean that was about 2 hrs when all said and done.
    This time I used Gain. I have tried many different det and softners with same result.
    I just want clean smelling clothing, that's it!!!!!
    I wanna return it, but can't, have had it toooo long. Im SOOL.... : (

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

Should I now try Powdered Detergent? I always us Liquid??

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

Wanted to add. I followed the recommended dose of deterent on bottle. To as how large or small my loads are, as to what line I fill the liquid too.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Actually, 100% clean laundry shouldn't have a scent, if all the chemical detergent perfumes are rinsed completely away. :-)

Lingering scent of detergent, and of course softener, comes about because chemical perfume components in the products are left behind in the fabric.

So, if there's no scent, perhaps your machine is rinsing exceptionally well.

If your sheets are of a fabric type that can take potentially 150F temperature, then try running them on the sanitary cycle (if your machine has one). The onboard heating will be invoked to increase the water temperature accordingly, although the cycle will be longer.

Or ... if you've been running the loads all this time on the mid-level "Normal" soil level, try increasing it to maximum while running the Heavy or Whites cycle set at hot wash. The onboard heater may come into play to boost the water temperature, although not to as high a temp as Sanitary. I know you ran this last load on Whites cycle and hot water, but if the soil level was not at maximum, the water heater may not have engaged. Some (many) machines with water heating only trigger the heater at maximum soil setting on any given cycle (except Sanitary, which should always run the heater).

Running a Rinse/Spin cycle may default to maximum fill, if the load-size sensing routine for adjusting the water level only occurs at the beginning of a wash period.

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

DaDoes, all good points. I have not even been adjusting my soil level. Something I will think about now. I just looked and when I did the bright whites load. It did do heavy soil, that was good.
    Ok now I guess I understand about the Rinse/spin cycle. I would think it should still adjust to the water level to whateven the amt of clothes that it senses.
    It's a work in progress.

• gates1
    11 years ago

If your machine goes off balance, hit the pause button, re arrange the clothes, close the lid and you may have to hit the start button twice. The reason it fill all the way up was due to the fact that the machine's sensors indicated a large heavy load and added additional water to compensat for this. Foir some reason, your not telling me how much detergent you are using or the brand other than the Gain. Please verify this. I own this washer and have done everything in the world to it playing with cycle, and even doing some "cheats" on it to see what the machine will and will not do.

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

Well I mostly measure the detergent to the top line of the cap. Unless I have a small load, then I fill to middle line.

Gain at the moment. I was using Tide or Tide with Bleach. I have used Method brand ( I kind of liked it) Might try going back to that.
    Also have read here that people like cheer. Will give that a try too.
    Hope I answered your questions Gates : )

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

Also wanted to say I use the Liquid. Should I give the powder a try??

• gates1
    11 years ago

It sounds like your using the right amount of detergent. I used tide with bleach in the powder form. It cleans really well for me. I do add mine to the tub before I add clothes, because sometimes it will not all wash out of the dispensor as it fills up for the wash cycle. On large loads I add fabric softener to the max line on the dispensor too. As long as your clothes are not coming out smelling musty, then they are clean. I have found that this washer rinses very well, even a large load of towels.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

The Max indicator line on softener dispensers is an indicator of the maximum amount of liquid it can hold without triggering premature siphoning/emptying. The line should not be taken as an indication of dosage. Softener should be measured by the bottle's cap.

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Another question. On the fabric softener bottle. It says to fill to the line, then when you pour it in. It says to fill the rest of the way with water. Do you all do that???

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Yes. Although the dispenser flushes with water, dilution (by adding water, preferably warm or hot, to the max line) helps thin it for better dispensing/flushing.

• gates1
    11 years ago

If I use less softener I never add water to the dispensor since it gets flushed out during the final rinse cycle

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

Thanks for your answers everyone : )

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

It is possible that your WATER might be the problem if you clothes do not smell clean which basically out of the dryer IF you do NOT use dryer sheets should smell like nothing but "Hot Cotton".
    We have this set for almost exactly a year and absolutely love them, we use Tide with Bleach liquid, no fabric softener, and use dryer sheets in the dryer.
    Clothes come out clean as can be even in cold wash.
    We only wash our whites in the "Whites/122-125 degree" setting.
    Wash bedding and rugs in the Bulky cycle, towels in the towel cycle. We use the "hot" setting which on ours is about 80 degrees on average and it works just fine.

I have watched this machine go through its cycle many times through the clear lid and it looks like everything is literally boiling in there as it drags clothes from the top to the bottom repeatedly.
    Then as it starts the "waveforce" action pushing the detergent water through the clothes.

This "so far" has been the best washer & dryer we have ever had. No problems of any kind whatsoever, pleased with every single aspect of them both and compared to our last washer dryer we are spending WAY less time doing laundry than we used to.

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

Ok, now I'm really thinking that something is wrong with my washing machine. You have mentioned that your machine does what you call a boiling cycle. And pushes your clothes through the water.
    I stood in my hot garage, sweating to death to watch this machine work. It NEVER does anything resembling boiling. All is does is shift back and forth very slowly over and over. Two times it pulled the clothes through for 10 seconds. Thats it, never nothing resembling boiling. I think I need to call someone out to look at this machine. What do you think????

• dadoes
    11 years ago

It does not boil. Heat the water (only on particular cycles), yes, IF it has a water heater (all models don't necessarily have the feature). Boil, NO.

For heating, you must select the correct cycle ... such as Sanitary or Heavy with the hottest temp and highest soil level ... whatever are the options specific to your machine.

It likely WILL NOT heat on the Normal/Casual cycle, Delicate, Handwash, Silk, Woolens, etc.

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

I have watched this machine go through its cycle many times through the clear lid and it looks like everything is literally boiling in there as it drags clothes from the top to the bottom repeatedly.
    Then as it starts the "waveforce" action pushing the detergent water through the clothes.

This is what I meant by what this poster said regarding boiling....by this paragraph above...

• jdenyer232
    11 years ago

We just got rid of ours after little over a year. We nicknamed it the shredder as it would rip and shred clothes like no other washer we have had. We went with a new Whirpool Duet wfw96heax and couln't be happier. Clothes are clean, not ripped and this thing spins all loads super quite, including mixed loads of heavy and light fabrics. I will never go back to an HE toploader again.

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

Seriously it shredded your clothes? Now that is strange. What the cause of this. You had a technician look at it correct?

• jdenyer232
    11 years ago

Yes it shredded the clothes, and yes we had a tech from sears look at it 3 seperate times. No sharp edges in the drum and we confirmed that with cheese cloth, no snags anywhere. Sears finally stated that the washer was working as designed and the next service call for this problem would be on our dime. LG was of little help. I finally couldn't deal with this anymore and got rid of it. The problem is the clothes get twisted, and I mean twisted so tight that the clothes were getting ripped. It would take us a good ten minutes to get the clothes untied so that we could put them in the washer. According to LG washing pants is a problem in this machine as the legs can easily get knotted, LG's solution, don't wash pants in it!!! We finally had to cut our losses on this, it was costing us a fortune to replace clothes that had been destroyed.

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

WOW jdenyer, that's awful. My washer does the opposite, which is barely nothing. It just swishes the clothes slowing back and forth. Which doesn't get the clothes clean in my opinion. I'm still paying of this dang machine till April, with no interest financing. Don't know what I will do with it after that. I mean who's going to want to buy it...sigh

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

jdenyer, what kind of machine do you have now? And do you like it??

• jdenyer232
    11 years ago

We went with a whirlpool duet wfw96heaw. We love it. It cleans great with no balance issues and best of all our clothes come out undamaged. One neat feature on this washer is the precision dispense ultra. You fill a tank with your detergent and it meters it out based on load size and the water hardness you set it for. Now I didn't buy it because I'm too lazy to add detergent it just meters it so there is no guesse work. It is surprisingly accurate as far as adding detergent goes. It also has the steam feature that I feel is a gimmick but it does have the on board heater which is a plus. As far
    as how long it lasts, well time will tell.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

lilSophie. Yes ours works excellent. Goes through the swishing back and forth with plenty of water, and the larger the loads the better it works. Plus I believe the load needs to be a certain size for the 'Wave Force" action to kick in.

We couldn't be happier with ours, clothes are clean as can be, takes WAY less time to do all of our laundry than we used to with our old pair of machines, way quieter, and the little tune it plays at the end is so much better than what our old dryer used to have which was this obnoxiously loud buzzer that lasted for at least a full minute.

As long as these last 10 years which we will know 9 years from now they will be the best washer & dryer we have ever had.