Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washing machine that's 27" or less deep?

Posted by Tessinseattle (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 17:08

We moved into a home with a Sears Kenmore front-loading (model: 417.44102300). It was nicely built into an area of finished basement. Of course, the bearing and spider arm broke w/in a year of our living here. (Some web research reveals this is a common problem stemming from the placement of 2 parts of different metals against each other: One corrodes the other. More poor quality crap from China!) We were told the fix would be more expensive than a new model so we decided to purchase another. The trouble is all the new models are 30" deep or more, which is almost 4" deeper than the old model. We can't go any deeper in this space without knocking down walls. I understand appliance manufacturers are responding to demand for larger capacity machines but are there really zero alternatives for those of us with smaller finished spaces? We need a machine that is 27D x 27W x 36"H.
Love to know what solutions people have found.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washing machine that's 27" or less deep?

Speed queen probably shallowest domestic at 28 inch, which includes door that sticks out about 1 inch from cabinet. Smaller capacity Miele, asko and other European brands are shallower, but pricey.

Good luck refrigerators grew in depth too.

o
RE: Washing machine that's 27" or less deep?

Thanks, Laundryvet! Do you know if the Speed Queen dryer is also 28"? I was in a appliance store the other day and they found a shallow washer for me but then the accompanying dryer bowed out in the rear in such a way that the real depth was more like 30". Think we might be stuck reconfiguring this area. So frustrating that the industry standards can change, leaving people with fixed, built-in spaces with no options. We could switch to the European compacts but they are so much smaller, it might be worth it to do the work to enlarge the space. More hemorrhaging of $. And in the meantime, laundry piles up....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here