Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washer basics

Posted by puzzlefan (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 16:53

I know that consumers report is very unreliable as their ratings depend upon subscribers only per ratings. Not once have I seen them mention the fact that energy savings don't come from washer design but due to the fact that there is no real hot wash. This is especially true of the computer controlled brands, models. In shopping for washers in general, has anyone seen a dial washer that has only three setting, hot, warm, cold and a setting for water depth? So far I have only found models with low capacity for this type of operation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washer basics

Only Speed Queen offers a true hot wash when the dial is set to Hot, I think. This is on their top loaders. However, they have also lowered the max water level a few inches. It can be reset by the user but requires partial disassembly of the control panel. Some of their front loaders have a Boosted Hot setting of a 140F.

Other top loaders probably all *suffer* from dumbed-down temps (warm = 85, hot = 110).

Front loaders by Frigidaire and Electrolux are very energy efficient - they receive top scores on Energy Star's web site - but their Hot setting is just 110F. Whirlpool's forthcoming FL are even a bit more efficient so these will likely not get any hotter.

Fortunately, there are cycles and options on both TL and FL washers to boost the temp. Cycles like Allergy or Allergen, if NSF certified, have to heat to 131F. Sanitary cycles go even higher. It really depends on the washer and which cycles and options it offers.

It's usually the best to stay away from the Normal cycle as it is usually the coldest, err, "most efficient" one.

HTH, Alex

o

Thanks, that's about what I thought only I haven't found a washer with a sanitary or allergen cycle yet. I must be looking at the wrong price range! :-)

o

There are several HE toploaders (Maytag Bravos, GE Harmony, a Kenmore, and an LG) that have onboard water heating and a sanitary cycle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here