Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Snags on Towels

monicakm_gw
11 years ago

Now matter what kind/brand of washer you have, I'd like to know if you've ever had problems with towels getting snags in them from the washer? My towels are washed with underwear, socks and "around the house" t-shirts. Nothing the terry loops can get snagged on yet every time I fold towels, I end up with a pile of threads from my towels. I've had 3 washers in 33 years. This Whirlpool Cabrio is the only one that has ever done this. I've had two repairmen look at it. One said he saw nothing wrong and actually said, "it's just the nature of this particular washer" :o About a year went by before I called again to complain. This time the agitator was replaced. Both the technician and I looked and could see nowhere that the towels could get caught. If I was washing towels with items I thought could do this, that would be one thing but underware, socks and pull over shirts?? So has anyone else experienced this, regardless of which washer you have? Oh, and I've had the same dryer thru two different washers and didn't have the problem with the washer before this one.

Thanks,

Monica

Comments (19)

• dave1812
    11 years ago

this is but one of the reasons why I like a FL over a TL. agitators have wrecked more a few of our clothes items over the year.

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

Monica,

Do you wear your wedding band while using your towels? My wife was snagging towels left and right so I narrowed it down to her diamond mount crown prongs being the culprit. Had the mount reset, and prongs refashioned...the issue abated.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dave, I've never had this problem till now and I've always had TL machines. I'm not a fan of FL machines. I wash our good clothes on delicate and don't feel I've had a problem with our clothes wearing out. But, I've got nothing to compare it to :)

Cavimum, the towels range in quality from WM to Target to Tuesday Morning to Land's End. They range in age from 12ish years to 2012. I'm none too happy that my Land's End monogrammed towels are full of pulls! :(

fahrenheit, The first thing I do when I get home from anywhere is take off my ALL my jewelry. Not too long ago I washed my hands before leaving the house, had my rings on and my wedding ring DID snag the hand towel.

I'm at a loss.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Maybe the your dryer is the source. Or do you hang-dry your towels?

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I don't line dry my towels, only our good clothes (which is anything we wear out of the house except for DH's work clothes). The reason I've ruled out the dry is because I've had the same dryer with the washer before this one. But, I guess something could have developed in the dryer since then. I'll take a look tomorrow.
    Monica

• mrb627
    11 years ago

I have owned two machines in the past ten years that caused snagging of garments. The worst one was a Maytag Atlantis. The agitator vanes at the base of the agitator were tapered against the base of the agitator. An obvious flaw was a pinch point created by the space between the fin and the base. After wondering what was putting little holes in my towels, I operated the machine with the top raised. I noticed that while the machine was spinning and draining the water, often times there would be an article held by the fin like a clothes peg. Once the machine got up to normal spin speed, the item would pull loose from the fin. I didn't keep that machine for very long after that before replacing it with another brand. The second machine wasn't really pulling the towels as it was just fraying them around the edges. It was a GE Harmony. Loved that machine, but it was rough on clothing.

Long term, I have found that front load machines are less likely to pull at fabrics with proper usage.

MRB

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mrb627. The repairman and I looked at the agitator and neither of us could see anything/place that could cause the snags. But at least I know it's happened to others and maybe, just maybe I'm not crazy after all (g) Oh, and I do have some that are fraying on the edges too. NEVER had this problem with any other washer I've owned.

• Reginasunrae
    11 years ago

Over my lifetime I've used at least a dozen different washing machines with agitators and never saw snags on any towels until after I switched to a Cabrio top-loading agitatorless HE washer. (Yeah, that particular washer was a piece of garbage in more ways than I can count.) While using the Cabrio all of my dish towels ended up with huge snags. I don't know for sure if it was the washer or not but after buying a different washer there are no new snags.

While using the Cabrio my sheets started pilling and clothing developed holes in strange places. I wanted to chalk it up to normal wear and tear until I realized it wasn't just one set of sheets that were getting old pilling, but every sheet that had been put through that washer a few times. Holes do occasionally show up in clothing but these were in weird spots where holes don't normally happen.

• jakvis
    11 years ago

One method to check the washer and dryer is to buy some "cheese cloth" and then rub every surface in the washer and dryer with the cheese cloth.
    If there is point or burr snagging the cloth the cheese cloth will snag there also.

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

Monica, I've had a Maytag Bravos top-loading agitator-less HE washer for several years, and I have not had ANY problem with towels getting snagged, or fraying, or anything else. I've always bought towels on sale at various places like Macy's, Walmart, Kohl's, Penney's, and BJ's warehouse store. (I also haven't had this problem with sheets as Reginasunrae mentioned.)

I hope you're able to identify the culprit and solve your problem.

BTW - it's good to 'see' you here again. Sorry it's for this reason.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mara, good to "see" you too :) I celebrated my 10 year anniverary here on GW this summer :) Hard to believe my "new" kitchen is 10 years old. Almost time to remodel again LOL
    jakvis, I'm going to try the cheescloth suggestion. Thanks.
    Reginasunrae, I had the Cabrio agitaor-less version at first. Did NOT like it. Traded for the agitator model.
    Thanks everyone.
    Monica

• mysteryclock
    11 years ago

jakvis, I was going to suggest exactly the same method, but I'd always heard you should use pantyhose for it since they are very sheer and easily snagged. Basically put one on like a glove and give the washer and dryer a good once-over on all surfaces, and you'll be able to feel/tell right away if it hits anything rough.

• Meg Groeling
    6 years ago

ROFLMAO! I thought I was the only one with these issues. I bought a top-loading HE Samsung that has no agitator, and my towels are too ratty to even put on a towel bar. My t-shirts have random holes in them also. I hate this machine! I cannot simply afford to get another one, however. In seeking a solution to the towel issue at least, I decided to try changing the towels. If I don't use terrycloth, there will be no loops to pull--right? So I ordered a couple of flat linen towels from Etsy to try out. OMG!! They absorb water like magic, they smell great, they dry out much faster on the towel bar, and every wash makes them even softer and more wonderful than before. I will be getting rid of the terry ones & going all linen as quickly as I can. One good thing has come from this washer nightmare, at least for me.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Lol linen is just amazing. Congratulations. ...now you should try real linen bed sheets...lol

• HU-608165753
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

OMG I have been going through hell over my washer and dryer. I put hose on my hand and found places in the washer and dryer that snagged them. I have had 5 washers different model numbers and brands and all of them have had problems. I now think I need to get a laundry bag and wash my clothes in that. I have an LG front loader and Maytag dryer. Both are brand new just have had this set for 5 days and my clothes are ripping. I am just so done with this. I have been dealing with this for 4 months. I don't think they make things like they use to

• Meg Groeling
    5 years ago

I have now rid myself completely of terrycloth. Linen is all I will ever use. Just try one set--you can get them on amazon is Etsy is too extreme for you. DO IT! You will be convinced, I assure you.

• jkayd_il5
    5 years ago

HU-608 what LG front loader washer do you have? I'm just getting ready to buy a LG.

• Mimi Louden Weaver
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thank you for posting this. I am having a terrible time with snags on my towels!!! Even on my dish towels!