Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legomom23

Samsung or Maytag?

legomom23
11 years ago

Is one definitely better than the other?

We are buying a new W/D set and would like to get it from our local neighborhood dealer. They have been a Maytag dealer forever - in fact our current set was purchased 25 years ago from them! And is still going strong:)

They also sell Samsung, but are not yet an authorized warranty repair shop. But I think they will be soon, and there is one within 20 minutes of us.

We have had such great luck with our current Maytag, but I am leaning toward the Samsung.

We really want to buy from them - any advice on these two brands?

Comments (10)

• dave1812
    11 years ago

old maytags were fabulous. More recent ones are CRAP.

I've got a Samsung 520. biggest complaint is there is no ACTUAL hot water during the NORMAL cycle. Other than that, it does what you select and it gets clothes VERY CLEAN.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

I have two friends that both have recently purchased Samsung Top Load HE machines and are very well pleased with them. One of them in fact had a 30 year old Maytag that had never had a repair,but their house burned, otherwise she would still be using the Maytag. I am sure the front load Samsungs are great as well.

I would keep the Maytags, they are good for another 10 years or more.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

Like @dave1812 said, the new Maytags are nothing like the old ones. Samsung seem to be a good brand. Be sure that whatever you get, it has an internal HOT water heater. Otherwise, your "hot" might be 100 degrees F.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Just bought a Samsung top loader and I really like it alot. Maytags are not good.

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

You have to take what you hear and read with a grain (or two) of salt.

I have had great success with Maytag Bravos -- it's a great washer. The benefits are numerous:

~ huge load capacity
    ~ can use heater on virtually every cycle (soak cycle is only exception I can think of)
    ~ has SS tub
    ~ is very well-built with commercial parts
    ~ has a great warranty
    ~ gets my laundry CLEAN

When I was researching washers before I bought one, I specifically looked up Maytag Bravos reviews at websites like Sears, Home Depot, and Lowe's. The positive reviews FAR outnumbered the rest.

OT, but my Maytag stove is the BEST stove I've ever had. Ditto for the washer.

• mrjms
    11 years ago

Why replace the old Maytags when they are "still going strong"? Nothing cleans better than the older machines. So many people post their many problems and dissatisfaction with their newer machines.

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

I meant to add earlier that I was really glad that my Maytag washer was built in the USA. I like knowing that I'm helping our economy.

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

Our son just purchased a new Samsung washer and dryer, BUT even the big box store employee told him that Samsung still has a long way to go regarding service, although Samsung is getting better about it. The employee told him LG is by far better than Samsung when it comes to getting service. He does like the washer and dryer.

• gmsnightmere
    6 years ago

Samsung is one of the worst brands you can buy on the market I work at my local lowes and I get more Samsung returns then any other Maytag have one of the best you can get