Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat hair on the sheets!

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 14:37

I wash in hot (sometimes with bleach) and tumble dry -- when I make the bed I still see hair!!

Is it my washer or is it just hopeless??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat hair on the sheets!

Water temperature has no relation to flushing away hair.

Washers nowadays may not handle pet hair very well, particularly low-water HE machines. Expect that the dryer will do more to clear it away.

Try drying with a softener sheet which may help reduce static so the hair can be pulled off the fabric into the dryer's filter.

o

Dadoes is right. Newer washing machines (FL) don't have lint filters and depend on the dryer for lint/pet hair removal.
We have four large dogs. When we wash their dog beds there is at least 1/2 inch coating of hair floating on top of the water while washing(TL machine). I use a 4inch screen filter that is concave and just skim the top of the water with it. All the hair eventually gets picked up and we never see any in the dryer.
Or you could find a vintage GE Filter Flow machine, those filtered the wash water while washing and would get every last bit of hair out of the wash!

o

Haven't tried it yet myself, but on another board it was recommended to tumble dry first for 15 minutes or so, then wash as normal, and then a final tumble dry. (Making sure to clean out the lint filter between sessions.

o

the dryer is your only hope for hair removal. try running it on "tumble only" for quite a while after everything is dry. the washer won't remove hair.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here