Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charterops

Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...

CharterOps
10 years ago

Hi all:

I placed this post in the laundry forum because I need some feedback on sheets and laundering results.

I'm trying to decide on a king-size sheet set which is of good quality, soft, and will do well in FL laundering. What are some brands you guys have and like? The reason I ask about laundering is because I have a set now that says to wash in cold water but as you might be able to guess, using cold water to wash sheets in a FL does not make them clean :-( Then I have another set which is older but has actually become more and more rough with every wash.

So, in a nutshell; I'm just trying to find out what sheets you all like and your laundering process. When I had a top-loader, it was not a big deal, I just washed with warm water, usually added a small splash of softener and dried on medium heat. I do that now in my FL and I get "ok" results but nothing near as nice as what I got before.

All comments/suggestions/etc... always welcome. Thank you!

Fletcher

Comments (28)

• dualref
    10 years ago

I have found that if you reduce the spin speed on your washer the sheets will come out softer.

We use good quality 100% Egyptian sheets. They may be a little rough for the first 6 months or so, but when they are broken in they are sooo soft!

We sourced some of ours from JCPenney and Dillards.

• oregpsnow
    10 years ago

These may not be for everyone but I love the Malden Mills Polarfleece sheets. Don't get any other brand - they are not the same. I have had two sets for two years - the only sheets I have now - and they are still going strong. Wash and dry like a dream and they don't get tangled in the dryer! Even my cat likes them, and she is picky.

I know some folks won't like them, but there are many converts out there. QVC is the main source for these and they usually have a TSV for them in the Fall, so it is probably coming up soon. I may get a different color.

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of thinking either JCP or QVC. Hopefully I can make a decision before my older set wears through, lol

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

We have LLBean percale sheets, wash in in the FL, and they come out clean. I use HOT water, and my FL washer has a built-in heater so I know the water is truly HOT.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I have pima cotton sheets now and would not go back to any other kind of cotton no matter the brand. Pima cotton is the best, imo, and resists pilling. I like the percale also. The last set of sheets I bought were by Thomas Lee. The cotton is grown in the US although the sheets are not made here. Sad but no sheet is made in the USA now but at least they grew the cotton here... Thomas Lee sheets are not anything special or fancy but they are smooth, thin and cool to sleep on, generously sized, they wrinkle since they do not have the sizing in them that contains formaldehyde which I am allergic to. Have not spent a winter with them yet, they may be too cool for winter weather. I live in the south so not really a concern for us. I'll link it for you, there is some good info on their site even if you don't buy from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomas Lee Ltd. Sheets

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank You gr8day. All of you have helped make it easier for me to be more comfortable with a purchase now.

• emma
    10 years ago

I buy mine from Walmart, the least expensive set they had. I bought white which I can bleach and know they are clean. They are a little stiff even though I do the extra rinse and you know what??? I like them so much I went back and bought 2 more sets. I like the slick feel of them, they will be soft enough when they get old.

I don't understand the money spent on sheets, it is not exactly like buying a sofa or chair that everyone comes in sees and uses. It's seems to me it is like a status symbol for women like a doctor's Porsche or me and my $700. Steiff Bear. LOL

• kmeyrowitz
    10 years ago

I also have the percale sheets from LLBean. Even though they're "only" 280 thread count, they're excellent quality and come out of the dryer without a lot of wrinkles. I tried a lot of sheets before I finally bought them. They're not silky soft, but they're smooth and comfortable.

I've actually tried this with other fabrics, and it does help: use some vinegar in the fabric-softener dispenser. I know people say vinegar is so perfect for every darn thing, but in this case it softens fabric a bit.

• User
    10 years ago

I will throw in my vote for the LL Bean 100 percent cotton percale sheets, too. Yes, they are only 280 count, but they feel heavier. My oldest set is about 3 years old and showing no signs of wear. I rotate my sheet sets (white only, please) and they get washed weekly in at least 140F water, then line dried, no matter what time of year. I have 3 sets, so they get washed about every 3 weeks like clock work. I love the feel, almost crisp feeling. They are sheets with some substance to them. I love having nice bed linens and I cannot recommend these enough!!

• User
    10 years ago

I will throw in my vote for the LL Bean 100 percent cotton percale sheets, too. Yes, they are only 280 count, but they feel heavier. My oldest set is about 3 years old and showing no signs of wear. I rotate my sheet sets (white only, please) and they get washed weekly in at least 140F water, then line dried, no matter what time of year. I have 3 sets, so they get washed about every 3 weeks like clock work. I love the feel, almost crisp feeling. They are sheets with some substance to them. I love having nice bed linens and I cannot recommend these enough!!

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Another vote here for the LLBean percales.

• CharterOps
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent suggestions! Thank you again :-)

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A big vote for the Target Threshold cotton percales. And hot water. Yummy.

(why is my name missing above?)

Pat

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

Honestly Threshold PERFORMANCE wrinkle free sheets from Target are amazing!!! I have 3 sets of CA King, and they are so soft, durable, 100% pill, lint and wrinkle free. Made in India, 100% Cotton. LOVE them. I have even given them as gifts. They are about $60.00, and are honestly better than $500 sets I have purchased. Also, they will accommodate VERY deep mattresses!! Love them!!

• User
    9 years ago

I've been buying Costco's supima cotton sheets for years now, and they are by far the best bed clothes ever, at a great price point.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I have been very happy with Costco sheets too. I have never seen $500 sheets :o

I will have to look at the Target sheets as I fit my DD bedroom now that she is moved out.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    9 years ago

"Wrinkle-free" sheets scare me, larsi. What does that mean? Did they embed the sheets with chemicals to prevent them from wrinkling? I mean, I need fewer chemicals in my life. I passed up the Performance sheets at Target precisely because I don't know what was done to the sheets to make them wrinkle-free. Does anybody know?

Pat

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

@Pat, isherwood....Generally wrinkle free sheets are NOT chemically treated. I was explained years ago that wrinkle free has something to do with the quality and strain of cotton, how it is loomed/spun and the length of the fibers! I can honestly say the Threshold Performance sheets at Target are the best I've ever had!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

This year after the holidays sales started I bought a set of sheets from Pottery Barn. Though I don't often shop there I noticed they were having a huge sale and they were reasonable for king size. They are so soft and nice to sleep on. Not too thick for our southern climate. I really like them and was not expecting to as much as I do! Usually I set out on a huge research expedition and then still end up with something that I don't really like even after all of that time spent!!! So this was easy for a change! I like to try different things, all of my sheets wrinkle like crazy but I'm not too bothered by it.

• anchoralumna
    9 years ago

Mama always said to look for high thread counts, but I'm finding that often high thread counts means poor quality and sheets that are soft...but too limp and thin to last more than a couple of years. The best sheets I ever bought were 200-count 100% percale, purchased about 35-40 years ago. I am still using most of them, although they're on the guest beds now since they're the Full size. Some really good ones I purchased 2 years ago at a department store (on sale, but would pay full price if I had to!) - they're queen size, but the top sheet is king size. I really like the bigger top sheet - I'm less likely to be left cold when hubby turns over and takes the sheet with him! Naturally the sheets are discontinued.

• anchoralumna
    9 years ago

@larsi_gw who said: @Pat, isherwood....Generally wrinkle free sheets are NOT chemically treated. I was explained years ago that wrinkle free has something to do with the quality and strain of cotton, how it is loomed/spun and the length of the fibers!

I wonder if it is also due to a process called calendaring, which I gathered means basically pressing the fabric between heavy rollers? Not sure that would permanently affect fabric.

• User
    9 years ago

Sheets are generally oversized these days due to pillow top mattresses. I find that I like how much more material hangs over the edge-sheets and comforters.

I've bought very high thread count sheets before-thrilled to find them at steep discounts at Tuesday Morning. But the wrinkling, omg!

The wrinkles were insane, and sorry, there's no way I'm going to iron my sheets.

I no longer think the higher the thread count, the more luxurious or comfortable the sheets are.

• anchoralumna
    9 years ago

I'm not going to iron sheets either. I just smooth them out when folding, try to fold as wrinkle-free as possible, and weigh them down with other sheets. Seems to work OK.

• mrb6228
    9 years ago

I have yet to find a properly sized sheet set. The fitted sheet might be deep enough to fit a thicker mattress, but the top sheet is a whole nuther story. And all that I have seen want to be washed on delicate/gentle cycle. WTH?

MRB

• beaglenc
    9 years ago

I love Wamsutta (sp?) from Bed Bath and Beyond. 500 thread count damask stripe Egyptian cotton. The top sheet is extra wide. Have been using the same set over a year now and they are still great. IIRC they say to wash in cold gentle but I wash in hot regular with bleach. The down side, the once pretty light blue are now and ivory color. However, having a grand great dane who thinks my bed is his, calls for bleach. (Sigh) if he would only sleep with my daughter.

• larsi_gw
    9 years ago

I went to the L.L. Bean website, since so many of you recommended their sheets. Several look and sound so great, and the Reviews are excellent. I emailed L.L. last night (late) and someone responded within minutes (crazy fast customer Service!!). The sheets only say King, and we have a California King. Sadly, L.L. Bean only sells Eastern King :( Some of their sateen and wrinkle free offerings look great, and the colours and patterns are cool!! Bummer.

• User
    9 years ago

beaglenc, I bought a Wamsutta flat sheet (king) to cover my comforter- clearance at BBB for $4.99. As you might guess, our dogs are allowed on the bed, too ;-)

It is quite wide and hangs over the edges generously. I would definitely buy a set of the Wamsutta. The feel and heft are great.