Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...

Posted by CharterOps (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 14:22

Hi all:

I placed this post in the laundry forum because I need some feedback on sheets and laundering results.

I'm trying to decide on a king-size sheet set which is of good quality, soft, and will do well in FL laundering. What are some brands you guys have and like? The reason I ask about laundering is because I have a set now that says to wash in cold water but as you might be able to guess, using cold water to wash sheets in a FL does not make them clean :-( Then I have another set which is older but has actually become more and more rough with every wash.

So, in a nutshell; I'm just trying to find out what sheets you all like and your laundering process. When I had a top-loader, it was not a big deal, I just washed with warm water, usually added a small splash of softener and dried on medium heat. I do that now in my FL and I get "ok" results but nothing near as nice as what I got before.

All comments/suggestions/etc... always welcome. Thank you!

Fletcher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...

I have found that if you reduce the spin speed on your washer the sheets will come out softer.

We use good quality 100% Egyptian sheets. They may be a little rough for the first 6 months or so, but when they are broken in they are sooo soft!

We sourced some of ours from JCPenney and Dillards.

o

These may not be for everyone but I love the Malden Mills Polarfleece sheets. Don't get any other brand - they are not the same. I have had two sets for two years - the only sheets I have now - and they are still going strong. Wash and dry like a dream and they don't get tangled in the dryer! Even my cat likes them, and she is picky.

I know some folks won't like them, but there are many converts out there. QVC is the main source for these and they usually have a TSV for them in the Fall, so it is probably coming up soon. I may get a different color.

o

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of thinking either JCP or QVC. Hopefully I can make a decision before my older set wears through, lol

o

We have LLBean percale sheets, wash in in the FL, and they come out clean. I use HOT water, and my FL washer has a built-in heater so I know the water is truly HOT.

o

I have pima cotton sheets now and would not go back to any other kind of cotton no matter the brand. Pima cotton is the best, imo, and resists pilling. I like the percale also. The last set of sheets I bought were by Thomas Lee. The cotton is grown in the US although the sheets are not made here. Sad but no sheet is made in the USA now but at least they grew the cotton here... Thomas Lee sheets are not anything special or fancy but they are smooth, thin and cool to sleep on, generously sized, they wrinkle since they do not have the sizing in them that contains formaldehyde which I am allergic to. Have not spent a winter with them yet, they may be too cool for winter weather. I live in the south so not really a concern for us. I'll link it for you, there is some good info on their site even if you don't buy from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomas Lee Ltd. Sheets

o

Thank You gr8day. All of you have helped make it easier for me to be more comfortable with a purchase now.

o

The best sheets I have bought in a long time are from--believe it or not--Target! The Treshhold Performance sheet set is really nice and very soft after washing a couple of times. They are holding up very well.

o

I buy mine from Walmart, the least expensive set they had. I bought white which I can bleach and know they are clean. They are a little stiff even though I do the extra rinse and you know what??? I like them so much I went back and bought 2 more sets. I like the slick feel of them, they will be soft enough when they get old.

I don't understand the money spent on sheets, it is not exactly like buying a sofa or chair that everyone comes in sees and uses. It's seems to me it is like a status symbol for women like a doctor's Porsche or me and my $700. Steiff Bear. LOL

o

I also have the percale sheets from LLBean. Even though they're "only" 280 thread count, they're excellent quality and come out of the dryer without a lot of wrinkles. I tried a lot of sheets before I finally bought them. They're not silky soft, but they're smooth and comfortable.

I've actually tried this with other fabrics, and it does help: use some vinegar in the fabric-softener dispenser. I know people say vinegar is so perfect for every darn thing, but in this case it softens fabric a bit.

o

I will throw in my vote for the LL Bean 100 percent cotton percale sheets, too. Yes, they are only 280 count, but they feel heavier. My oldest set is about 3 years old and showing no signs of wear. I rotate my sheet sets (white only, please) and they get washed weekly in at least 140F water, then line dried, no matter what time of year. I have 3 sets, so they get washed about every 3 weeks like clock work. I love the feel, almost crisp feeling. They are sheets with some substance to them. I love having nice bed linens and I cannot recommend these enough!!

o

I will throw in my vote for the LL Bean 100 percent cotton percale sheets, too. Yes, they are only 280 count, but they feel heavier. My oldest set is about 3 years old and showing no signs of wear. I rotate my sheet sets (white only, please) and they get washed weekly in at least 140F water, then line dried, no matter what time of year. I have 3 sets, so they get washed about every 3 weeks like clock work. I love the feel, almost crisp feeling. They are sheets with some substance to them. I love having nice bed linens and I cannot recommend these enough!!

o

Another vote here for the LLBean percales.

o

Excellent suggestions! Thank you again :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here