Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thehorsts

Major disappointment in Miele washer / dryer

thehorsts
15 years ago

Ten years ago, we bit the bullet and bought a stacked Miele washer / dryer combination (W1930/T1520) thinking this would be purchase that would last a lifetime (or, more realistically, about 20 years).

We're now having to replace the entire stack after just 10 years -- here's why.

The dryer has suffered a major failure with its motor. After $200-300 of service charges, they finally figured that out and the part alone will be $700. Since the dryer has other problems over the years, the tech is recommending that we just get a complete new dryer.

BUT Miele no longer makes any dryer that can stack on top of the washer that we have. I.E. we have to replace BOTH the washer and dryer in order to fix the dryer.

Calls to Miele customer service for a creative solution have been unhelpful -- with everyone just saying, "Yep, it looks like you'll need to get a whole new stack."

Well, it won't be Miele. With current pricing, we can get the top of the line compact washer/dryer stack from Bosch for LESS than a new Miele dryer alone (which, of course, wouldn't even fit with our washer). In fact, the Bosch combo is one third the price of the Miele combo and, for an extra $400, we can get a 5 year extended warranty for the pair. Even if we have to replace them twice as often as a Miele, we'll come out ahead.

Based on this experience, I'd have to say don't buy Miele unless you've got money to burn.

(BTW -- neither unit has been trouble free all this time, either. We washer alone had 4 or 5 service calls on it for various things -- inlet valves, motor brushes, etc.)

Comments (12)

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

Before you buy any appliance, check to see who will service it, and if they are in your area.

Also check to see if Parts and Service Manuals are available on-line if your are planning to do any repairs yourself.

• Cyberspacer
    15 years ago

Check with Miele Parts. I believe there may be a universal stacking kit that allows mismatched pairs to be stacked.

• dualref
    15 years ago

I think that people who buy Miele products are that same people who drive Jaguars, Ferraris, etc and take around the world vacations. The price doesn't bother them at all.

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

Ten years ago, we bit the bullet and bought a stacked Miele washer / dryer combination (W1930/T1520) thinking this would be purchase that would last a lifetime (or, more realistically, about 20 years).
    We're now having to replace the entire stack after just 10 years -- here's why.

The dryer has suffered a major failure with its motor. After $200-300 of service charges, they finally figured that out and the part alone will be $700. Since the dryer has other problems over the years, the tech is recommending that we just get a complete new dryer.Did you negotiate with Miele to offset the expense of a new motor since the service tech has already charged you $300 worth of service charges. Was the service tech an actual Miele service tech?
    BUT Miele no longer makes any dryer that can stack on top of the washer that we have. I.E. we have to replace BOTH the washer and dryer in order to fix the dryer.Have you tried shopping around at the various websites as I came up with one. Also, call stores as it they may have one that is substantially discounted yet new.
    Calls to Miele customer service for a creative solution have been unhelpful -- with everyone just saying, "Yep, it looks like you'll need to get a whole new stack."I agree with you on this because the customer service reps simply answer the phones and I find them severely lacking, if not horrid, in their knowledge of their own products here in the USA. My best experience has been with a Miele service tech as he was quite facile in all aspects of the product and gave straight comprehensive answers since he actually worked on the products and was constantly receiving field information through Miele regarding service bulletins.
    (BTW -- neither unit has been trouble free all this time, either. We washer alone had 4 or 5 service calls on it for various things -- inlet valves, motor brushes, etc.)Can you please further elaborate on where your Mieles are situated in your residence; type of service they are used for (residential, renters, vacation home); water hardness? Thanks.

• dave1217
    15 years ago

I JUST purchased a "new" Miele pair - W1930 washer and T1520 dryer! They were unsold display models which had been consigned to a warehouse because of their 240 V status and small capacity. I bought them for $699.00 apiece and will have them installed shortly. I was planning on getting a Miele extended warranty on these units anyway.

A Miele rep. said that although these units are 4 years old, they'll be eligible for the warranty upgrade (to two years) since they're being installed by an "official" Miele installer. The cost of the "easy install kit" to combine the 2 240 V plugs into one box was $190, and I paid another $225.00 to have another dryer outlet installed, since I'm stacking them where the washer used to live..across the room from the dryer.

These are much smaller units than the FridGEmore units they're replacing. But, I figured at that price, and the fact that the washer heats up to 190F (I'll never use that, but it's nice to know it'll do it for dog towels or something like that)that these would be a "20-year" buy. Let's hope my optimism wasn't misplaced! Hmmm..

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

I bought them for $699.00 apiece...That was an absolute steal! You can extend your warranty to five (5) years. We are finding that the way we use the newer extra large capacity 4840 and 9820 would make no difference if we had the smaller capacity as they are always in service.

• psnave
    15 years ago

It is a shame that you have to replace both the w&d. I wouldn't be too upset that they lasted 10 years, that's really pretty good for an appliance.

Today's sets are engineered to last about 5-7 years. It's kind of a planned obsolescence thing.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

fahrenheit_451, can you tell me how you used italics? I read the FAQ page, but didn't see any instructions for such niceties. Thanks.

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

The page below claims 20 year life expectancy for Miele washing machines, and/or 45% longer than other brands.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.miele.com/products/benefits.asp?nav=20&snav=180&tnav=185&oT=147&cat=4&subcat=21&benefit=55

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

mara_2008,
    You can do bold, italics, and underline or all three

the start of bold is with the letter b between

underline is u

italics is i

the end of any type is with the /b , or /i, or /u between

double-check your 's when previewing

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks, regus. I've used those at other sites, and they do come in handy.

• flohmann
    15 years ago

There's a new old stock W1930 for sale for $700 via craigslist, but given your trouble finding a stackable dryer, and your trouble with the units, I'm thinking maybe I should stick with a new Bosch compact stackable (and a compact stack is all we have room for).

Anyone seen a matching T1520 for sale anywhere? Nothing on eBay lately...

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County