Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bindersbee

Front loaders + soap residue in clothes

bindersbee
15 years ago

I'm feeling much less enamoured of my LG Tromm front load machines today. Actually, I'm kind of miffed. I've had them for awhile but just recently realized that they are the source of a problem.

There is a ton of soap residue left in the clothes. I know this because it's messing up my Rowenta iron. At first I thought it was just that I hadn't cleaned the iron for awhile- so I bought the gel stuff and cleaned it. Then I thought maybe it was something to do with my ironing pad- so I bought a new one.

It finally dawned on me that the problem was coming from clothes which had been washed in my machine. The thicker the fabric, the bigger the problem. On a polo shirt, I went from having a clean iron when I started to one that was too gummy to use before I'd even finished the shirt.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am using the Kirkland Brand HE detergent from Costco. Am I making my loads too big? Too much detergent in the load? On a large load, I fill the detergent cup halfway to the full line since the detergent container says it's 'concentrated'. Do I need to do an extra rinse cycle with each load- which kind of defeats the water-saving purpose? My family has sensitive skin so the extra soap in their clothes is highly undesireable.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments (43)

• carol_jk
    15 years ago

I had the same problem . I have a top loader and I switched from Kirkland regular to Kirkland HE a while back. I cut way down on the amount I was using but still got LOTS of suds in the washer. Right now I am in the process of washing all my towels with water to get it all out. I won't be using this brand again.

• alldaylaundry
    15 years ago

I've heard that this brand is notorious for sudsing, but haven't tried it yet myself. I did buy a box of powder that I was going to try when I've used up some of my other brands, and I noticed that it is HE "compatible." Maybe this makes a difference? I already told my sister, who has an old TLer, that she can take the box, since I don't think it's going to work for me. Anyone else have experience with this brand?

• bindersbee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Kirkland brand stuff MUST be it. I've had my machines for more than a year and only recently started having this problem. I've used the Kirkland brand HE stuff for awhile too but they changed the formulation to 'concentrate' it last time I bought it.

I haven't really had problems with it until I started using the 'New and Improved' version of the detergent. I do believe you have all helped solve the problem. In addition to what I described above the 'New and Improved' kind doesn't seem to go through my machine well- it's too thick or something and I'm always finding a lot of water in the dispenser cup. I have an unused container of it I bought on my last Costco trip- I think I'll be returning it on my next trip. Thanks for the help.

• i_dig_it
    15 years ago

Is this a liquid?

I think all the so called "new and improved" 2x, 3x concentrated liquids are causing way to much sudsing and build up. They apparently do not rinse out very well.

I had been using Tide HE and I started noticing my problems after they went to the 2x ultra formula. I have a Neptune TL machine.

I recently switched to Sears brand powder HE formula and am in the process of de-gunking all my clothing, towels, sheets, etc. I have noticed that the thicker items like towels and quilts have a lot of build up that causes much sudsing even though I am only using a measuring teaspoon of the Sears detergent on them. I have to use extra rinses on them.

Janet

• i_dig_it
    15 years ago

I have a Neptune Front Load machine.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

I don't have a frontloader; I do have an HE toploader, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I've been using Sears brand powder HE formula since I bought my new washer, and I haven't had any problem at all with detergent residue in the laundry. I've watched for it, because of all the posts like yours I've read here, but so far, no problems at all.

If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely wash the affected laundry with no detergent in at least one load, would use the hottest temp appropriate for that type laundry, and would use about 1/2 cup vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser, as it cuts detergent out of laundry.

I truly hope this helps.

• mc58
    15 years ago

I havent tried that brand, but Dont use liquid HE any brand in fl. I am still trying to get soap out of towels that I use to put 1/2 Tbl Tide HE liquid. I have tried 1/2 cup vinegar and that hasnt worked for me either, I now use on all my other clothes reg gain powder, but Im sure any powder would be good, but wash you clothes till you dont see suds in rinse water anymore.

Good luck

• i_dig_it
    15 years ago

I found this article and thought it might be of interest to others since it seems so many are experiencing the same problem. HE Detergents. Be sure to click on the link "High-Efficiency Washers and Detergents Guide" in the last paragraph.

Although I am believing that any HE liquid may cause a problem as well, especially the new concentrated formulas.

I know a lot of you use regular (non HE) detergents, but how do you know which ones are low sudsing? I've looked at several brands and can't find anywhere on the box that says if it's low sudsing or not.

Janet

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

That is a GREAT site, i_dig_it - very informative. Someone gave me that link when I was learning about HE washers/detergents, and it was a big help to me.

I remember reading that using regular laundry detergent in an HE washer is like using regular dishwashing detergent in a dishwasher - Yikes!

I also read that manufacturers will not honor an HE washer warranty if HE detergent isn't used. That sealed the deal for me.

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

I would like to mention some time ago, when I was researching HE detergents, I found article when they said most of the cheap laundry detergents are low or lower sudsing because some of the sudsy stuff cost money and cheap brands don't use it. I have LG TROMM and I've used anything from Tide HE to generic Sun from Walmart and never had suds problem. I ususally mix HE and the other just in case. Soap or liquid, doesn't make any difference.
    When it comes to dosing, I am surprised how little soap you guys use. I fill my dispenser to the max everytime and cup of baking soda straight inside the drum.
    But I also use water plus and extra rinse averytime and prewash too.Vinegar instead of FS.And hot water always.
    When I used smaller dose, my laundry wasn't clean. We do have hard water, so maybe that's why and my BF uses lots of medical creams and lotions for his dermatitis so this might be make a difference too. However, I have no mildew or mold problem and laundry smells clean, not soapy.
    Thanks to lots of peple here, I discovered CS and just ordered some. The idea of having even healthier laundry sounds good, plus I thing it could help w/ the dermatitis too.
    I love my TROMM, even thou kind of expensive, it is worth every penny. And when it comes to saving water or power, in our case we worry more about having germs and yack out.I got FL because I'm use to it from Europe. We always had FL. Plus they look so great too

• bindersbee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice on soaps. I will read it throughly. For the last poster (or anyone else) what is CS? And what is the purpose of baking soda in the drum?

• mc58
    15 years ago

CS is Charlies Soap you can get it online, I dont know about the baking soda.

I have to tell everyone that is commenting on the non HE and how little we use. I personally have had a serious issue with my Duet not rinsing out soap from towels, jeans, heavy fabrics, I dont have the extra water choice, I wish I did. I have been trying to get soap out of towels for 5 months now without using anysoap and 1/2 cp vinegar and still its a problem.
    I use non HE powder on other clothes and I use 1/2 tbl same as when I used HE, where the non HE rinses out and doesnt fill with suds, the HE does not rinse out and I have to rinse a few times to get the soap out of a light casual load. I now have been using use Gain powder, I tried CS but it didnt clean as well and didnt rinse that well either, and it left a white residue on the glass.

I dont know why they would say that it would void the warranty, because with my experience with the differences are the HE soaps are horrible suds problem in my duet, as the NON HE are not. ???

Again I wish I would have bought something other than my Whirlpool duet 9200.

• i_dig_it
    15 years ago

mc58, I have been reading your posts about your towels and can sympathize with you, because I too have noticed a lot of suds coming from my towels. I previously used Liq. Tide HE, but after reading this forum I have started using Sears HE Advanced Formula Powder. I have been using less than 1 Tblsp. for real dirty clothes (like Hubby's work clothes) and 1 tsp. for everything else. The towels are causing the biggest problem and today I have washed the same load three times (twice without any detergent). I know I was probably overdosing my clothes with the Liq. Tide HE.

I have written to three different companies about if their non HE powdered detergent is low sudsing and safe for use in an HE machine, but so far not one has answered me. :-/

The three I wrote to are:
    All/Surf
    Arm & Hammer w/Oxi Clean
    Gain w/baking soda

I have heard that these are safe and low sudsing, but I would just like to hear what the companies have to say.

I know you are using Gain. Has anyone else used any of the others? Results?

Janet

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

I can't speak for others, but I use baking soda when I wash white towels/washcloths, and grungy white clothes like t-shirts, socks, and underwear (I wash for two guys who work in HVAC). Baking soda doubles the whitening power of chlorine bleach, which means I can use half of the latter when I use the former. :-)

I've also noticed that towels come out really soft and fluffy when I use the baking soda in the drum, and 1/2 c. white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.

• kerryjustinhouse
    8 years ago

We have an LG front-loader and have had a massive problem with clothes coming out completely saturated with soap residue. Some worse than others. We had a technician come twice, and he changed a bunch of parts, and advised us to do some tub-cleaning loads with vinegar. But nothing has worked. Even if I put clothes in with no detergent, they get up with tons of soap residue. We used Tide liquid HE, and the technician said that was good -- just use only 1-2 tbsp. But still nothing has worked. Spending HOURS rinsing out clothes after they've been washed, even though I stopped putting ANY detergent in several loads ago. Wondering if we have to buy a new machine (ours is less than 2 years old), but afraid we'll still have the same problem. Argh! So, anyway, I don't think it's always the detergent -- sometimes there must be something wrong with the machine.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

In my opinion, your tech got the amount right per LG but I certainly would NOT use liquid. Liquids tends to suds more and are harder to rinse out. If you like Tide try the Tide HE Turbo powder. You might try running some other cleaner through the machine, although I have used vinegar also. Cascade dishwasher detergent is good to run through them to clean the tub. Does yours have the tub clean cycle or you just use the Normal/Hot cycle?

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

When I bought our FL washer, the salesman told me to use 1/4 of whatever the detergent dose was on the box or bottle. He was right. Our old TL washer did not rinse well and we had tons of detergent residue in everything, as a result. I could put clean stuff into the FL washer, with no detergent, and have tons of suds. After a couple of years, I was able to increase our detergent dose to a 1/2 dose. Our water is medium soft/hard (4-7 grains).

--- Here is what works for me (YMMV): Run an express-type wash with no detergent and no laundry in there. That will flush out the suds in the tub without using a lot of water. Then, put some dirty clothes in with clean clothes and no detergent. That residual detergent in the clean clothes will bond with the dirt and wash down the drain. Sounds crazy, but this is what works best for me and uses the least amount of water, whenever I accidentally overdose a load of laundry.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Cavimum, I have a few questions/comments...why are there suds in a empty washer? Also my concern on using the detergent residue left on clean clothes to clean dirty clothes is that although there may be suds residue there wouldn't be enough of the chemicals to actually clean the clothes and the machine, not to mention suds generally contain soils pulled out of fabrics.

I recommend anyone having detergent residue check the amount of detergent your us ing and do an extra rinse. Also for washers that have residue its time for a clean machine cycle, probably past time. Course this is just all IMO.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

I am not positive now because it has been a few years, but I believe it was Asko washers that said when you first start using one of their machines not to use any detergent because your clothes will have enough build up/leftover to do the job and you needed to do it that way at the start of switching to an Asko--maybe even FL?

Anyone else ever read that?

• Joel H.
    8 years ago

Kerry--are you primarily using Normal cycle and/or the extra rinse? Normal cycles use minimal, and I do mean minimal, water for rinsing.

Sparky, yes, I have read this several times. When I switched from top loader to front loader, I had soap buildup in towels and other heavy items. I thought I had been rinsing well, but nope. A single rinse in a slower spinning top loader cannot compare to multiple lower water rinses with high speed extracts in between that a front loader offers. Rinsing is all about dilution. Saturate the clothes, drain and spin at twice the RPM's of a top loader, and then repeat. It might take time, but the excess detergent will rinse out.

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

" I have a few questions/comments...why are there suds in a empty washer?"

If there is a suds overload, there will be suds that remain at the end of a rinse and spin cycle. That's why you see posts here where people are rinsing .. and rinsing .. and rinsing ..etc.

I only add one or two lightly soiled items to the load and they come out clean. I figure the amount of detergent that is left (from the overdose) can take care of those items. I would not go half and half. Eek.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Lol Cavimum..I misunderstood you.

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

mamap - easy to do on an internet forum. (((hugs)))

• Cavimum
    8 years ago

Wellllll, just had to do this today when I overestimated the amount of detergent for a load of towels. (Gah! Towels! Argh!!!)

Before the final spin, I canceled the program and let it drain. Added a pair of hubby's running shorts and socks and started all over again. Perfect. No visible foamy suds in the rinse water. Ta-Daaaaaaa.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Good job Cavimum...guess what...I overdose my machine too often LOL. (((HUGS)))

• ronnymac63
    7 years ago

Do you suppose that all detergents have changed to be 'greener'? I have same problems with laundry, but noticed that dish detergent no longer cleans properly and my dishcloths are 'gummy' and smelly like never before!

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Ronny..what washer are you using to wash the dishcloths? What water temp, detergent? Do you change your dishcloth at least daily?

• ronnymac63
    7 years ago

I am the washer! Temp? As hot as my hands can stand it. Tried every dish detergent (and laundry detergent) in the last number of years. No I didn't change my dishcloths daily, never had to in years gone by as the soap and hot water cleaned the cloths and the dishes. Now I run my dishcloths through the dishwasher occasionally, but they don't get clean.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

They need a good sanitizing bath. As far as them keeping clean as you wash your dishes, Ahh, no..bacteria will grow on them.

• Chris C
    3 years ago

Have an LG front load, and I have to add 3+ rinses sometimes, and I am down to 1 tsp, and it still seems like to much. It's driving me nuts, spent good money on this machine and it hsould take the soap out. Anybody have info on recall or had success with repairs/replacements. Thanksy!

• littlegreeny
    3 years ago

@Chris C a few questions: What LG washer do you have? What cycles and temps do you use? What detergent are you using? Is your water hard or soft?

• Chris C
    3 years ago

Model number WM3700HWA . I usually use normal, but have tried all, towels, bedding, heavy duty. I have used All free and clear, Tide Free and clear, and arm and hammer free and clear (fragrance and dye free). I just did some bed sheets, and literally did an extra 5 rinse cycles, and there were still some bubbles, not many, but enough to know there was still soap. Usually do load on cold, or warm depending. Got any tips for me. Oh, and I'm down to about have a tbs right now. I literally can't even press the laundry detergent dispenser spigot quick enough. I get too much even with a super quick press. this is liquid detergent.

• Chris C
    3 years ago

Haven't tried the powder. I hear they are not as "healthy" for your machine?? I can do hot, but even hot is iffy. It's so water efficient that the hot water doesn't start coming for a little bit, by the time it's run through the pipes the water stops. I have to run a priming cycle to get the hot going, then drain it, then put in the real load. As for the suds, It's not like a bubble bath, but the top of the water is mostly small suds. The picture attached is after roughly 8-10 extra rinse cycles. This load i also did not put any soap in, was just a few smaller towels, so either the clothes already had soap in them, or the previous load left soap (which i know it did still had suds but can't rinse all day). I'm going to not use any soap for the next round of all laundry and wait until i don't get suds anymore. then i'll introduce soap again. I'll tell you one thing, i'm NOT saving any water. Any other ideas are appreciated. Am i crazy, is that amoutn of suds ok, should i reach out to have somebody look at it. Just bought the thing at costco two months ago.

• hcbm
    3 years ago

Do you have soft water? I have soft water and what you have in your picture is normal with towels. Powder is better for your machine as is hot washes. Liquid detergent over time can build up on the unseen parts of the machine. I wash everything in hot or warm. As you noted hot is not really hot unless you have a heater. You have a heater on your machine. I have a heater and have not ruined anything. Towels, sheets and underwear should always be washed in hot. Also as you suggested when you change from a top loader to a front loader wash everything without detergent and see if you have a lot of detergent residue. One last thing, it is counter intuitive, but if you still have too many suds after three rinses, run a quick wash but add one more piece of dirty laundry. The dirt will counter the bubbles.

• Chris C
    3 years ago

Thanks hcbm. I do have an internal heater, it heats the water to about 160 degrees, which i don't wnat to do every time, unless it's whites or to disinfect, otherwise it's just hot from the water heater, which is a distance from the machine so it runs cold at first and only gets hot if i run a practice load until the hot water comes. if that makes sense. I will try the powder, a few people have mentioned that. If it still see bubbles, i'll also throw in some dirty clothes.

• littlegreeny
    3 years ago

Powder detergent is definitely better for your machine and the amount of bubbles is acceptable. Use the towels cycle on hot when you wash towels or bedding. That cycle is really good at rinsing.

• Chris C
    3 years ago

Update....tablespoon of powder detergent, same result. In rince 9. Eh!

• littlegreeny
    3 years ago

You must have very soft water. Did you buy some fabric softener? It will help with rinsing and kill the suds.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

If your clothes still have soap in them after washing, either you need to use less, or you need to change detergents because - after the appropriate amount - more detergent does not equal more cleaning power. It's so variable on the machine, the water, and the detergent. With my new washing machine (2 years ago), I realized I needed much, much less laundry detergent -- I have a 24" front loader, and use about 1 tablespoon max of liquid detergent for a full load (diluted before adding). I had been using about 1/4 - 1/3 cup with my previous machine.

Powder is better for your machine, I've been told, but I'm using up the last of my overstocked Tide liquid -- just be sure to dilute it before adding.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

What's the purpose of dilution?

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

"What's the purpose of dilution?"

It helps it move more smoothly from the dispenser and through the pipes, and not get sludgy and lead to problems.....if it builds a film up on (inside of) the pipes, it can make the machine work harder and shorten its lifespan. It was the recommendation of my new machine, and when I went to look up why, I realized I should have been doing that all the time. It's particular to front loaders, because they use less water.

• HU-373670423
    last year

I had the same problem with a new he top load washer. Black clothes coming out with white residue streaks, dirtier than when they went in! The stopgap solution was to do a second wash cycle with no detergent but a half cup of vinegar. Very frustrating. Was definitely not using too much detergent (still happened with a half dozen different brands of HE detergent) or overloading the machine and was using liquid detergents. Tried everything the manuals and company websites said, called the manufacturer, used a dozen of those affresh cleaning tablets they recommended, multiple empty loads with vinegar, multilpe empty loads with baking soda, had a maintenance technician come and they were all of no help. Even disassembled and cleaned the damn thing myself based upon a bunch of youtube videos. Months and months of frustration and unsuccessful approaches.

In the end, what eliminated the problem was using the normal wash with extra rinse option activated. Now the blacks come out clean with no residues.

It seems like these HE machines are too efficient by not supplying enough rinse water. Extra rinse made the problem go away. Definitely making me pause before buying a HE model next time.