Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phanman

Help me decide between two TL Washer and Dryers

Phanman
9 years ago

Hi,

I've been reading alot of reviews and have decided I want a top loader washer/dryer set.

The two that I've narrowed down are between:
LG Mega Capacity WT5680HVA
or
samsung 6.5 cu ft WA56H9000AP/A2.

There seem to be a lot of good reviews with the LG but as for the Samsung one I dont know if its because its newer but there seem to be less reviews but the ones I could find are pretty positive.

Any advice would be appreciated to help me choose my first washer and dryer purchase. All my other washer and dryers have come with the home so never needed to purchase one before.

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• sparky823
    9 years ago

I would say LG. Seems they agitate better just from watching both brands on You Tube.
    My neighbor has the Samsung and she doesn't like it. She says it doesn't agitate enough even on Heavy Duty which is what she uses all time. But another friend has one of the cheaper Samsung TL and she loves hers. So there you go, everyone is different. But,again, for me I vote LG. They have also improved their suspension system in the new models.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I vote a Speed Queen TL or a front loader of any brand. Impeller HE TL's seem to get many more washability complaints than any other type of machine.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I had an HE TL and was so happy when I replaced it with a FL, but if you can't be convinced a FL is great, I will tell you my sister got the LG TL after I got my LG FL. She is very happy with hers.

• mrb627
    9 years ago

Well, the LG and Samsung machines are pretty. But that's about as much as I can say about them.

MRB

• emma
    9 years ago

My last two washer have been nothing but problems (mechanical) and they were expensive. This time I bought the least expensive GE pair I could find. Then I bought the extended warranty which I don't usually do. Both are warrantied 5 years without any cost to me. Washers and dryers don't last as long as they used to. This way I am covered and financially ahead.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

I agree with the op on Speed Queen. Bought a SQ w/d 18 months ago and have not looked back. The longest wash load done in about 35 minutes.
    These washers have the best warranties in the business. Great washing and drying performance.

Still made in Ripon,Wisconsin since 1908.

• azmom
    9 years ago

Do a search for 'Speed Queen' on this forum. You will get tons of information, owners'/users' experiences and comments. You may want to read them before making your purchase decision.

Ask if you have any questions regarding Speed Queen, there are many owners or wash machine experts here would help you.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I should clarify, I was trying to say that if you MUST have a top loader for whatever reason, you should get a Speed Queen, because a full-fill agitator washer is IMO a better choice than a low-water impeller washer. I would take a front loader over that though - luckily front loaders are prevalent and we are catching up to the rest of the world in terms of laundry. A front loader would be much more like the LG or Samsung TL in terms of efficiency than the Speed Queen, but wash much better. Still I think the manufacturers need to focus less on large capacities and gimmicky features and more on teaching people how to actually use a front loader properly.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 6:33

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

My experience with fl washers has been with commercial machines. Sorry, but from my experience; a fl washer will not clean like a top loader in 30-35 minutes.

These residential fl washers need over an hour to get clothes washed, because of low water usage.

My Speed Queen can wash 2 full loads in the time it takes most fl washers to complete one cycle. No error codes, balancing to spin,mould, or washer clean cycles.
    My washer uses more water, but in terms of efficient time use for me, tl wins hands down.

• socks
    9 years ago

These are HE machines, right?

You might want to double-check me by making a trip to the library, but I'm looking at the Consumer Reports August 2014 washer/dryer report, and it looks like the LG is #1 rated for washers and the Samsung is #16.

You don't have a tankless water heater, right? They do not work well with HE machines.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Bendix came out with the first fully automatic washer in the late 30s. A fl washer at that. The USA has always had front loaders,nothing new. We invented them.
    Why this over hyped craze within the last 20 years or so for shiny plastic planned obsolescence?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>These residential fl washers need over an hour to get clothes washed, because of low water usage. Mine takes 45 minutes My Speed Queen can wash 2 full loads in the time it takes most fl washers to complete one cycle.

Personally, I care more about efficiency, performance, and gentleness than cycle time, and I'm sure many other people agree with me on that. My front loader takes 45 minutes for a normal soiled cotton load. That's about 1.5 Speed Queen TL loads, not 2. Heavily soiled loads take longer, but they would take longer than 30 in the SQ as well (including soak time) if you want it to do as well as an FL.

>No error codes, balancing to spin,mould, or washer clean cycles

My FL doesn't give me error codes, grow mold, or make me run clean cycles either. It does balance before spinning, which adds a little bit of time to the cycle, but I'm more than willing to wait those few minutes so that I can wash with 15 gallons of water instead of 50 and get all the other benefits of an FL.

>Bendix came out with the first fully automatic washer in the late 30s. A fl washer at that. The USA has always had front loaders,nothing new. We invented them.
    Why this over hyped craze within the last 20 years or so for shiny plastic planned obsolescence?

I don't know what your point is here, but it seems you're trying to say modern FL's are "shiny plastic planned obsolescence".

Speed Queen makes an excellent front loader. You wouldn't call that "shiny plastic planned obsolescence" would you?

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Well hvtech42. I know many people agree with me about tl performance, time savings and gentleness also. I think Speed Queen does make a great fl washer. I should have added that. They make excellent laundry products period.
    I know the SQ flers use more water also, which I like. SS baffles and the SS tubs seem also to be of higher quality with SQ.
    If I have to ever go fl, it would be SQ. These are real washers.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

BTW I agree with you that the SQ TL is an excellent washer and for many it is the best choice. It isn't the best choice for everyone, though, and I wanted to make clear that it wasn't the ONLY good option on the market, especially since the original post was asking about high efficiency washers.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Phanman-I've been doing the same research. I went this weekend and looked at the machines. The lid on the Samsung felt very flimsy to me, enough so that I removed it from my list.
    I liked the LG & will probably get that. I currently have the top load Maytag HE Bravos. Many bad reviews on this forum & others but I actually liked mine. It washed well. I didn't have all the wrinkling/tangling problems that others had. I want a high capacity top loader that I can fit king size blankets & comforters in.
    Edit: I have no info on the dryers as I am only purchasing a washer.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 23:43