Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreva

Best Ironing Board?

Denise Evans
17 years ago

I am building a new house and don't want a built in ironing board (had one and thought it was flimsy). I want the old fashioned, solid, ironing board that my mother still has after fifty years. Does anyone know where I can get one? I don't iron much, but when I do, I want one that doesn't wobble and bounce when I use it.

Comments (15)

• LibbyLiz
    17 years ago

Is the one your mom has wood?

We got a wood one from an antique store. It's very sturdy. It's also quiet putting the legs down & back up; no more metal screeching! And there's no more rust from water drips or steam bursts.

• tobynkate
    17 years ago

I bought an incredibly solid ironing board at target. It's not on their website so I don't know if they still sell it. But it's very similar to the Rowenta ironing board I'm linking below. It's really great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rowenta Ironing Board

• Denise Evans
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks....no, my Mom's was solid metal....anybody know a good alternative??

• michellesg
    17 years ago

I got mine at Costco and it's a big hefty metal thing that's really unweildly to drag around. Is that what you are talking about? If so you might also try posting up on the Quilting forum too. We quilters need huge fat ironing boards that are esentially welded to their spots in the middle of our sewing rooms. I don't know whether or not Costco has them at the present moment, you know how in flux their stock is but I have also similar ones at Target and Lowes.
    ~Michelle

• stevedr
    16 years ago

Something like the lifestyle ironing board might work for you. Very compact, rock solid and folds out in seconds. We have one in our laundry and it's very sturdy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifestyle Ironing Board

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

I can point you in a direction:

1) Look around some at the ones you like (local stores and online). Write down the models and sources for them along with the weight. Online you might be getting shipping weight; that probably includes the box, but if you find them locally you'll look on the box to find the weight and that will be shipping weight, too. THE HEAVIER THE BOARD, THE STURDIER.

2) Mine is old, HEAVY, but I believe it came from Target also.

3) Shop online where sewers shop. Nancy's Notions, Clotilde, etc. Go on the sewing forums and describe what you want.

4) Polder makes high quality. Google search for "Polder Premium Ironing Board".

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I have a very heavy duty ironing board. It sits on a plush carpet in my sewing room - and does not wobble even on the thick carpet. I can push down on it with all my strength without it budging at all. Unfortunately, it does not have any markings on it at all! I bought it on clearance at a specialty store. I paid $60.00 on clearance. It is very heavy, but I leave it up at all times since I use it multiple times per week (cotton laundry, sewing, quilting). I did see one like it on Amazon, I attached a link. As you will see, boards like this are very expensive. I think mine is a Rowenta, but I can't really remember since I bought it about 7 years ago. I do love the iron holder on the end, and I always use the shelf to hold stuff I am "working on". In other words, projects that I have not had time to finish.

I would also recommend getting a really good pad for your board, it makes ironing easier. I would hope a board like this Rowenta one would come with a heavy duty cotton pad, but you cannot be sure these days. I use a triple thick, all cotton pad under a heavy duty cotton cover (I have a non-stick cover to use fuzeables so I don't ruin my good cover), It took me almost a month to find these when I needed to replace the originals. Then, of all places, I found it a Meijers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rowenta IB6300 Professional Ironing Board

• kris_zone6
    16 years ago

I bought one at Kmart about 5 years ago. It was a Martha Stewart and it cost about $50. It is very sturdy and a little wider than most. It locks in the closed position, so it is very easy to carry around.

• alleydeep
    16 years ago

I would have to second stevedr's recommendation. The Lifestyle ironing boards by better lifestyle products really are great. My neighbour has had one for years and they are tough. I just purchased on of their new vertical models to be mounted in our closet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Closet Ironing Board

• oypoloy_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have the Martha Stewart ironing board, and it is a piece of garbage!

It is only a couple years old, and rust is bleeding through and ruining clothes!

Why can't anyone build a board that won't rust through? How hard is that?

Yes, I know decent ironing boards are bad for the bottom line since if it lasts for years it won't need to be replaced. But, hey ... in the internet age garbage products should be even worse for business!

I won't buy anything, now, with Martha Stewart's name on it. Nada!

• thenewyou1_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a Martha Stewart ironing board for about 6 or 7 years it is very wide and I love it, I have been on the computer trying to find another one. I have that one at home an need one at work. I purchased mine at K-Mart. Very Happy. I say if you want a good one Martha Stewart is the one.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I have the same Rowenta board that @tobynkate linked. I got mine from BedBath&Beyond a few years ago.

Reliable brand makes very good ironing boards; I've used them in sewing classes and in my sewing room I have a vacuum board made by them. BB&B sells them online, perhaps in stores as well.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I have the same ironing board as tobynkate, also purchased at target. It's 11, excellent and our DD will likely inherit when we're gone.

• recordaras
    9 years ago

I also have the Brabantia, in Pink Santini that I absolutely love - the minute I saw the gray and the pink flowers I just had to have it. It's very sturdy and I love the range of height adjustments it offers. The only think I would have loved is to have more of a space between the iron holder and board to slip clothes through, but it's a pretty minor inconvenience.

{{gwi:2135404}}

On Amazon UK you can also order the Brabantia Iron Flex Guide that I keep meaning to pick up, last I checked it came to about $40 with shipping:
    {{gwi:2135405}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Brabantia Ironing Board - Pink Santini