Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steersk

new bol kenmore tl washers - opinions?

steersk
11 years ago

We are moving to the US shortly and one of us is already there. We have a very limited budget for a washer, and I know that unless we get the absolute BOL washer, the dryer, which will be an absolute BOL Kenmore, will not match. We don't care about matching anyway.

Here are my final machines I have narrowed down to:

-Kenmore 20022, $400

-Hotpoint HSWP1000MWW - $350

-Hotpoint HSWP1200MWW - $400

-GE GTWP1800DWW - $470

-Whirlpool WTW8000XQ - $450

-Maytag MVWC200XW - $450

I've heard that the whirlpool and Maytag are almost the same, so I'd get the Maytag as it has more cycles. The Hotpoints and GE washer don't appear to have a pesky locking lid, and have a good old fashioned timer dial.

All are BD. From videos I've seen they all make a horrendous noise and are very loud: we're used to that.

I don't have enough money to spend any more. Would anyone suggest buying a used machine from 10 years ago or so?

Thanks in advance

Comments (3)

• dadoes
    11 years ago

I don't find a Whirlpool WTW8000XQ. Is it WTW4800XQ?

Kenmore, Whirlpool, and Maytag are the same mechanism.

Hotpoint is GE, so those three are also likely the same mechanism.

The Hotpoints & GE apparently are 1-speed. They get a delicate/gentle cycle by pulsed agitation (alternating periods of agitation & pause). All spins are full speed but only 630 RPM which isn't excessive for delicates.

The GE and Hotpoint 1200 are probably largely identical. They have a Power Rinse option, which seems to infer to *not* selecting Power Rinse runs a reduced-water shower type of rinse. The instructions state that Power Rinse must be selected when liquid fabric softener is used. The Whirlpool, Kenmore, & Maytag also have a softener rinse switch. Reduced water usage (for rinsing) is largely necessary for these non-HE machines to exist on the market. That is not to say that it can't be effective ... it just doesn't properly mix-in fabric softener, thus the optional setting to get a deep-fill rinse when softener is used.

I would choose from the Whirlpool, Maytag, & Kenmore.

• steersk
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks dadoes. I've narrowed it down to the following:
    Amana NTW4600YQ
    Whirlpool WTW4800XQ
    Kenmore 20022
    I've scrapped the idea of the Maytag, as there seems to be a very high failure rate, even compared to the identical whirlpool model. If what you're saying about having to manually select FS on some of these models, does that mean that the Amana and Kenmore, which have no FS dispenser will only do a spray rinse? If so, this will be an issue, as the downy ball supplied will probably not dispense properly if it is a spray rinse only. I like to use FS, so this is quite a concern to me.

Would you recommend just getting a used FL machine vs. a new TL? I prefer front loaders but they are too expensive for me just now.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

If a Downy ball is supplied with a machine, then it'll no doubt work properly or it wouldn't be included. I'm not positive about the rinsing on these machines, just speculating based on the options provided. I do know that the last of the *direct-drive* Whirly-family machines that were on the market under the Roper & Estate & Amana & Admiral labels ran a low water level for rinse (fixed at 5" or 6" depth regardless of the selected wash level). Could be models *with* a softener switch run a low level if softener is Off and a higher level if it's On. Models *without* a softener switch may always run a filled rinse.