Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spin-Only Mode: Miele W1213/1215 Clothes Washer

Posted by waltculver (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 12:29

On various message boards my wife and I have seen complaints that the buttons on subject clothes washers don't allow a spin-only mode. When we had out Miele W1213 installed recently, we asked the installer about that, and he showed us how the installers run the W1213/1215 machines in that mode, to test them:

HOW TO GET A MIELE W1213/1215 WASHER INTO A SPIN-ONLY MODE:

1. BEGIN FROM A DEAD-STOP MODE.

2. WHILE HOLDING DOWN START/STOP BUTTON, PRESS THE ON/OFF BUTTON.

3. PRESS START/STOP BUTTON 3 TIMES IN QUICK SUCCESSION AND HOLD DOWN ON THIRD HIT UNTIL GREEN LIGHT ILLUMINATES.

4. PRESS BUZZER BUTTON UNTIL A "U" APPEARS ON THE DISPLAY.

5. PRESS START/STOP BUTTON 7 TIMES IN QUICK SUCCESSION.

6. CHOOSE SPIN SPEED. MACHINE WILL THEN GO INTO SPIN-ONLY MODE.

7. PUSH STOP BUTTON WHEN IT HAS SPUN LONG ENOUGH. (IT WILL KEEP SPINNING FOREVER UNTIL YOU HIT THE STOP BUTTON.)

(Only the Germans would allow one to computer-program their machines!)

Thanks,

Walt Culver
Reston VA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spin-Only Mode: Miele W1213/1215 Clothes Washer

It is obvious that this 7 step procedure is for installers or service techs. But at least we now know how to get to spin.

o

Walt,
I have been periodically checking to see if any solution to the no spin only problem has been posted (typically after an intake fault aborts my 1 1/2 hour laundry cycle during the final rinse). I forgot I had the laundry going today when I ran a bath and was annoyed to see the cycle aborted. Thank you so much for your posting. It worked beautifully. (It makes me wonder what the other things are that can be done in the technician mode.)
I bought 2 of the W1213 right after the model changed not realizing all the great reviews were for the former model. I have one in my home and one in my cabin. Both locations have low water pressure and intake faults happen if we run water during the final rinse. You have saved me more grief than you know. I asked Miele if this could be done and they said no. I must say I am not that impressed with their customer service.
Thank you again,
Suzanne

o

You can have Miele customer service set the machine for low water pressure. They do it over the phone with you.

o

Robert,
Thanks for the tip. We have done that on both machines (before that we couldn't even complete a load at our cabin with no other water running) but we still run into problems like now which is why I'm back at this posting to print out the instructions so I can spin out an aborted load.
Thanks,
Suzanne

o

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I have had my W1213 for 6+ years and been VERY VERY disappointed that this capability was lacking. I am very happily spinning some towels as I type this!!!

I had a little trouble getting the sequence to occur, but was successful and am VERY happy. Again, many thanks!!

o

I would like to add a fourth THANK YOU to jymmm. Now, does anyone know the "secret" sequence to make it do a rinse-only??

o

If you want rinse and then spin, why not just start a load on normal with no detergent, let it run for a few minutes to rinse, and then stop it? The machine will drain and you are off to the races. Then you can run the spin only per above if you want.

o

You can extrapolate out from waltculver's great tip and access all the other modes in that menu. I do it often to add another manual rinse. Note that these are really just test modes of various cycles and are not automatic, hence the need to stop the mechanical ones. So, you can fill the tub, tumble, stop, drain, stop, spin, stop. Stop is one of the modes so you don't have to reenter the service menu. I wrote down a detailed listing of all the modes in the "U" menu last year after examining what each did. Let me see if I can find it. Otherwise I will list the ones I committed to memory. Those of curious bent can investigate on your own. Just stay in "U" menu and cycle through all the modes with the start-stop button to see what you can do.
For most people this is of limited usefulness because of the manual nature but for a certain kind of person it will be useful. I can say with good certainty there is no danger using these modes unless you forget to turn it off and leave the house. You are not changing any settings. Exploring anything outside the "U" menu is uncharted territory and you are on your own.

o

I sure wish I could get this to work, but after about a dozen tries, just starts a cycle every time. At #4, I never get a 'U', As soon as you press start, it does!

Any tips on how to get this to work?

o

Thanks Walt, very helpful. Still, there was a time when you simply spin a dial and a machine could rinse or spin or do whatever you wanted when you wanted. Sorry, but after replacing my 1215 mother board twice after storms (first time warranty, second time $450 installed), I am not impressed with washing machines that need a computer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here