Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waltculver

Spin-Only Mode: Miele W1213/1215 Clothes Washer

waltculver
16 years ago

On various message boards my wife and I have seen complaints that the buttons on subject clothes washers don't allow a spin-only mode. When we had out Miele W1213 installed recently, we asked the installer about that, and he showed us how the installers run the W1213/1215 machines in that mode, to test them:

HOW TO GET A MIELE W1213/1215 WASHER INTO A SPIN-ONLY MODE:

1. BEGIN FROM A DEAD-STOP MODE.

2. WHILE HOLDING DOWN START/STOP BUTTON, PRESS THE ON/OFF BUTTON.

3. PRESS START/STOP BUTTON 3 TIMES IN QUICK SUCCESSION AND HOLD DOWN ON THIRD HIT UNTIL GREEN LIGHT ILLUMINATES.

4. PRESS BUZZER BUTTON UNTIL A "U" APPEARS ON THE DISPLAY.

5. PRESS START/STOP BUTTON 7 TIMES IN QUICK SUCCESSION.

6. CHOOSE SPIN SPEED. MACHINE WILL THEN GO INTO SPIN-ONLY MODE.

7. PUSH STOP BUTTON WHEN IT HAS SPUN LONG ENOUGH. (IT WILL KEEP SPINNING FOREVER UNTIL YOU HIT THE STOP BUTTON.)

(Only the Germans would allow one to computer-program their machines!)

Thanks,

Walt Culver

Reston VA

Comments (10)

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

It is obvious that this 7 step procedure is for installers or service techs. But at least we now know how to get to spin.

• robert_laundry
    16 years ago

You can have Miele customer service set the machine for low water pressure. They do it over the phone with you.

• suzaa1
    16 years ago

Robert,
    Thanks for the tip. We have done that on both machines (before that we couldn't even complete a load at our cabin with no other water running) but we still run into problems like now which is why I'm back at this posting to print out the instructions so I can spin out an aborted load.
    Thanks,
    Suzanne

• jymmm
    15 years ago

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I have had my W1213 for 6+ years and been VERY VERY disappointed that this capability was lacking. I am very happily spinning some towels as I type this!!!

I had a little trouble getting the sequence to occur, but was successful and am VERY happy. Again, many thanks!!

• dianeky
    15 years ago

I would like to add a fourth THANK YOU to jymmm. Now, does anyone know the "secret" sequence to make it do a rinse-only??

• paully1
    15 years ago

If you want rinse and then spin, why not just start a load on normal with no detergent, let it run for a few minutes to rinse, and then stop it? The machine will drain and you are off to the races. Then you can run the spin only per above if you want.

• liberato
    15 years ago

You can extrapolate out from waltculver's great tip and access all the other modes in that menu. I do it often to add another manual rinse. Note that these are really just test modes of various cycles and are not automatic, hence the need to stop the mechanical ones. So, you can fill the tub, tumble, stop, drain, stop, spin, stop. Stop is one of the modes so you don't have to reenter the service menu. I wrote down a detailed listing of all the modes in the "U" menu last year after examining what each did. Let me see if I can find it. Otherwise I will list the ones I committed to memory. Those of curious bent can investigate on your own. Just stay in "U" menu and cycle through all the modes with the start-stop button to see what you can do.
    For most people this is of limited usefulness because of the manual nature but for a certain kind of person it will be useful. I can say with good certainty there is no danger using these modes unless you forget to turn it off and leave the house. You are not changing any settings. Exploring anything outside the "U" menu is uncharted territory and you are on your own.

• nielsorj
    10 years ago

I sure wish I could get this to work, but after about a dozen tries, just starts a cycle every time. At #4, I never get a 'U', As soon as you press start, it does!

Any tips on how to get this to work?

• deke
    10 years ago

Thanks Walt, very helpful. Still, there was a time when you simply spin a dial and a machine could rinse or spin or do whatever you wanted when you wanted. Sorry, but after replacing my 1215 mother board twice after storms (first time warranty, second time $450 installed), I am not impressed with washing machines that need a computer.